IBM

Updated February 8, 2015
2.6

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

54 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM

Pros

Good team, Big Company, Great opportunity for training.

Cons

Not too many projects for interns to work on

project manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

strong assets, movement, people, managemnet

Cons

salary, work life, hours, customers

Be competative

Excessive levels of management, little care for employees, low salaries, advancement is difficult.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great benefits and vacation time. Flexible work schedule. Opportunities for self paced learning.

Cons

Low salaries. Company will not hesitate to lay off as many people as it takes to boost numbers for investors. IBM moves extremely slow and will jot be able to keep up with the rapidly changing IT field. Too many levels of management.

Listen to your employees, most of them are undervalued, worked to death and not recognized for their effort while the few who work the system get praised for doing nothing.

Great environment but don't expect to make money commensurate with what your position would pull elsewhere.

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Invest in employees and benefits are nice. Paid vacation is solid and unlimited paid sick days.

Cons

While your skills will grow your career will stagnate. Over time they try to extract just enough of each employee to keep them right at the edge of breaking.

I really feel anything written here is irrelevant to IBM upper management. The apparent value they give to the employee is a facade. The goal is profit and it's okay to forget that actual human beings work for you. Mind slaves with no union.

Terrible, mismanaged, poor atmosphere, constant turnover

Current Employee - SCS Account Focal in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - SCS Account Focal in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. There was extreme bias towards attractive women. They were promoted beyond their capabilities and received constant "attention" from the first line managers.

Cons

If you have no other options and don't think you can survive on the street as a homeless person, this MIGHT be a decent option. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Find some true managers. The managers they had there got thrills out of criticizing people and were generally inept.

Great place to build a global career / infinite learning opportunities

Current Employee - IT Manager in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities / challenges / stretch assignments to help you grow in your career.
    Access to world-class technology and solutions.
    Great network of very talented people around the globe for basically any subject you need, at a distance of a "ping".
    Job security (for talented and engaged employees who cares about the company).
    Competitive benefits package.
    Flexibility at work. Lots of options to work remote or adjust work schedule (dependent on the job role).

Cons

Compensation is a little bit low compared to similar job roles in the industry, specially if you grow rapidly in you career.

Bring the share value and EPS promises to shareholders back to reality - based on the value proposition the company can really create and deliver through its products and solutions, and not overly based on enterprise efficiencies (cost reduction). That will enable a more sustainable enterprise, with benefits and compensation also great and above market average, as it is for learning and growth opportunities, which in turn will attract and retain the best talent, which will result producing and delivering more and more value to the Clients, making the Clients truly satisfied and buying more, and then naturally bringing additional value to the shareholders.

Summer internship at IBM Dubuque

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Dubuque, IA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I interned at the IBM Dubuque, delivery center in Iowa. Here are some of the things I liked about interning there.

Good team mates.. I was able to shadow system administrators
    Great manager
    Good training from IBM in house training portal, I had a total of about 12 training throughout the 8 weeks I was there
    The name of the company on my resume

Cons

Not too many technical projects for intern to work on.

Great experience for my first internship position as a college sophomore.

Former Intern - Technical Representative in Dubuque, IA
    Former Intern - Technical Representative in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You are provided the opportunity to work with professionals in the IT industry. Managers work closely with interns and provide various projects and tasks to test your technological skills. I even had the chance to manage my own project involving the design and development of a employee lap top database. If you put yourself out there you can find some unique opportunities. Great building.

Cons

Poorly organized and did not establish enough work for on coming interns. I found myself very bored more than I had anticipated. Training is a two week process.

Take more time to plan for the internship prior to it beginning.

Managed to Wall Street rather than to customers or employees or for long term growth

Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the fifteen years I was there, I worked with many very talented people across the globe. In the late '90's, talent and technical depth were developed, nurtured and expected to excel, and work/life balance and the internal culture was built to retain the best of the best. The people within IBM from that period, in the first two management tiers, are outstanding.

Cons

With the Service Delivery Center concept, people became commodities, and the brain trust in services was drained. Work life balance eroded along with benefits, training and retention. Executive direction became obsessed with quarterly reporting to Wall Street and the bonuses at the expense of long term performance planning and responsible expense planning, resulting in whimsical and contradictory leadership.

TECH TALENT BEWARE!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shelter from the weather, start your career at IBM and you will not have any other options down the road!

Cons

work life balance none! workload more and more and more! Knowledge it has been all removed for cheaper labor! Process out of control to the point of bottle neck!

restructure management! Take care of your current talent or they will leave once a better situation comes along!