IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sweat shop.

Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's a large company and if you are lucky or rub elbows with the right people you can get out of IBM Dubuque and possibly into the real IBM.

ConsIBM Dubuque is a very undesirable location for more than one reason. It's easy to get in but very difficult to get out of IBM Dubuque and remain in IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to work, work, work and then go to work.

Inside Dubuque delivery center!

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExtremely diverse workforce! A very green workplace; friendly environment. Talented people to work with & know.

ConsDubuque is a terrible place for people of color. Not much work/life balance for people in technical roles, chronic burnout. Overtime slashed for 3 consecutive quarters now,morale is very low. There's something very,very wrong when people are leaving on their own & don't have another job to move on to.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worry about Roadmap 2015! Take care of our cutomers both internal & commercial & the rest will work itself out. Stick to IBM principles instead of paying lip service to them!

Keep Busy and don't mind your compensation

IT Security Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsIt pays the bills (Mostly), never bored at work(for better or worse), your peers are in the same boat and they are good to work with

ConsIts impossible to get your pay to reflect the work. They will over work you and expect everything to just work as if it did before. The company is driven by metrics and these metrics are now getting in the way of people doing their jobs or finding more efficient ways of doing things because it does not fall with the current processes. They will hire any idiot with some type of degree, even if they have no technical skill or they prove that they are a greater hindrance to the team then an asset.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the business back on track, customer first metrics second. And Pay people for the work that they do, do not leave them at entry level pay for several months when they are performing at a level 2 or 3 steps above what they are getting paid.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work with very bright people

IT Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOne of the best work experiences I have had, working with very smart people. The job demands were significant, but challenging and interesting.

ConsFinancial concerns governed every choice, from how much time allowed to support an account to timing for hiring.

Glad I did it.

Technical Support Specialist - Intern (Former Employee)
Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt is a well known company and it looks great when put on a resume. It also gives you a chance to meet a lot of new people. I really like the company as a whole, but unfortunately the branch I worked in did not do the most entertaining tasks.

ConsI was there for one summer and I didn't get a chance to actually learn much of anything new or interesting. The tasks seemed to be very simple and not a good use of the talent available.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide the interns with a clear objective and a project that is engaging.

SCS

DCA (Former Employee)
Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsI really cant seem to think of one

ConsTo Many To Count Lets just say your efforts are better used with another Company

Life with IBM

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Prosused look good on resume

ConsIBM on resume can be bad

Advice to Senior Managementreduce management layers

Great place to work

Senior Quality Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of good experience and resume building.

I have some faith that I will grow in this career.

ConsI should have negotiated my starting salary. At the time was very excited to start there, however I should have been more aggressive stating my base salary. However since this is my first real professional job I look at it as a lesson learned.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so focused on the bottom line and EPS.

Get Experience and Get Out

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIBM does provide opportunities to learn, either on the job or through their online offerings.

ConsEmployees are NOT valued.
Pay raises are non-existent for most. Promotions are nearly non-existent too.
People management skills are very poor. When management doesn't know what else to do they blame the employees, start a new micro-management scheme and lay off everyone they can.
Customer service is very poor. IBM would rather pay a penalty to be released from a contract than to fulfill the contract.
IBM is using under-handed and dishonest means to avoid the customer requirements of on-shore business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people, not things. The rumors are constant and the fear of losing your job never ends.

Good starting job.

Systems Compliance Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good entry-level opportunity
- Infinite wealth of knowledge available to absorb
- Very flexible hours

Cons- Extremely difficult to move up or leave a department (you can be a victim of your own success and as a result, doors can be closed for you)
- Hostile review process promotes cut-throat environment with peers (If everyone in your team cures a different type of cancer individually, one of you will still get fired for under-performing in comparison with your peers)
- TOO MANY PROCESSES (sometimes you need to create a process to follow a process that has been created to conform to a different process)
- Too many levels of management. Upper level management never knows what's going on.
- Some divisions of IBM are so badly managed that the turnover rate is over 60% (GTS for example)
- NEVER WORK AT A GDF

Advice to Senior ManagementCut layers of management by half and invest more in employee satisfaction There's no reason we need 15 levels of management.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Dubuque, IA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.