IBM

IBM Reviews in Essex Junction, VT

Updated Jul 15, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Comfortable work environment, good people (mostly), Essex plant is black sheep because it can't be profitable.

Programmer (Former Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsGood place to learn, develop skills. Managers good about work/life balance - they realize family is important.

ConsBenefits get worse every year, layoffs, uncertain future. Older plant with older technology trying to hang on. Wish we had IBM consultants to improve our own business.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating Essex plant like bad child.

Good first part of career, slowly was getting worse

Technician (Former Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsOriginally-- job for life, along with healthcare

Conslayoffs, paying for healthcare, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your promises

Was once a great company - lost site of Company beliefs

Engineering Manager (Former Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsGreat people, lots of opportunity to learn from others

ConsAlways wondering if your business/job will survive the next cuts
    Cuts have become continuous
    Forgot founding principles - NO respect for the individual that IBM was known for
    Execs have forgotten what IBM was and what IBM should be

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the value of the people. Stop throwing people out the door just to meet numbers, and give us back the pensions you took away with incorrect and misleading information.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Abyss.

Manufacturing (Former Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsThe paycheck. And the exercise. There were also a few people who were decent and amusing. Not much else.

ConsThe big challenge was to hold onto my sanity and to keep my sense of equilibrium. This place is a concentrated zone of egghead jerks, patronizing phonies, and assorted whackos. It's Cyborg America at its most grotesque.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least...1. Introduce variety to alleviate the terrible effects of endless repetition.
                   2. Teach the importance of positive reinforcement.
                   3. Teach better conflict-resolution skills.
    If any company needs a total psychological overhaul, it's IBM.

IBM, it used to be fun.

Engineer (Current Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsExcellent work/life balance. Good salary. Intelligent, hardworking, dedicated, fun co-workers.

ConsStagnant salary. Company' s view of the employee has continued to decrease for years. Layoffs, more layoffs, and more after that. Not fun.

Two 'Resource Actions' in one year.

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsGreat collaboration amongst employees
    Dealing with bleeding edge technology
    Plenty of learning to do, if you want it.
    Flexibility on when you come in and leave, working from home, as long as you get your work done

ConsToo many meetings
    Dated buildings
    Poor management structure
    Little to no hope of receiving a bonus/raise and if you do, its insignificant at that
    Too much work for too little employees, and still cutting
    No loyalty to employees

Waste of time.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsSurrounded by intelligent people.
    Most coworkers are friendly.
    Flexible schedule depending on your manager.

ConsOld Boy's club exists on the manufacturing side, bad for female employees.
    IBM does not invest in this sector of the company.
    5% change in salary since starting salary eight years ago.
    Lack of opportunity to succeed.
    Long hours with no appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of threatening your employees that want to leave because of the bad work environment, try making the work environment better.

Great place to gain experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsGreat benefits. Education benefits are a plus

ConsRaises slow. Hard to make even lateral job changes. Lots of rumors about layoffs.

Overall: not bad, but lately seems unstable.

Advisory Engineer (Current Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsGreat technology: can work on anything; good work-life balance

ConsA lot of downsizing recently. Salaries are stagnant and promotions few.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the layers of management and start listening more to the technical folks.

Treated well for a long time, but sadly watching a long decay as we abandon the values that made us successful.

Advisory Engineer (Current Employee) Essex Junction, VT

ProsThe legacy company culture from the founding Watson family still lingers, resulting in a typically congenial working atmosphere. The sheer size of the company means you have access to resources unthinkable in smaller companies. There are so many careers in IBM, you could switch once a year and never even scratch the surface.

ConsRead Dilbert, and know the absurdity of a large, often contradictory hierarchical organization. Our new CEO and senior leadership have grossly mismanaged our hardware business into a hole from which it will most likely not recover. IBM is trying, as much as possible, to offshore jobs to cheaper countries. We have now become a bellwether for employee benefit takeaways.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cooking the books by buying back shares, and invest in your people and infrastructure. For goodness sake, start listening to your technical staff again. And experiment with the old company value: "Respect for the individual".

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!