IBM Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

IBM STG SUCKS -- BIG TIME

Current Employee - Really Does Not Matter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Really Does Not Matter in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

None! Things were good in late 90s when everything was rosy. Now the environment has made pathetic by management with blatant bias.

Cons

Everything is a downside unless you are a genious .. Else you need to be "ingenious" to make it

Advice to Management

RESIGN!

Don't make the mistake of planning a career at IBM or it will cost you dearly.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Recognition in marketplace. All the Computer Base Training you want.

Cons

There is not any "off" time. There is an expectation for additional work and your professional training to be done on your personal time. The tenet of "Respect for Individual" may come from the top but it is mocked by the first line managers in their execution. Diversity forced down your throat.

Advice to Management

The managers should have an incentive in their compensation structure, validated by their reports, that they are actually supporting the work/life balance. As opposed to the tongue in cheek message that is clearly conveyed.

not your fathers IBM

Current Employee - SSR in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - SSR in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get pretty decent benefits. First line management seems to care about their group. peers are willing to help you out.

Cons

low pay. callouts every weekend. upper management does not seem to care. every day there seems to be a new direction.

Advice to Management

retire

Bad place for contractors, stay away!

Current Contractor - Information Security Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Information Security Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the position, you get to work from home. That's the only good thing depending on how you look at it.

Cons

IBM never gives you advance notice before your contract expires, so you always find out on the last day that you are gone! They usually hire you for a year contract then sometimes renew it until the day you find out your contract is over (often times managers know ahead of time when your contract will expire, but they do not tell the contractors because they want to use the contractors until the last day so that it won't hurt the business). Also, you are always in a furlough, every year! They will cut your hours as low as 25 hours/week, which is impossible for someone to make a living. They want you to work like an animal and what you hear during the interview process is not what you will be doing; they will add more work to your plate. You end up not making what you are supposed to be making due to furlough, no holiday pay, no overtime, etc. Forget about getting hired full-time; this will never happen regardless of how many years you work there as a contractor. You won't get any help from management either because executives are making all the decisions. Managers treat the contractors like garbage; they only support "regular" employees!

Poor Pay, Terrible working conditions

Former Employee - Consulting IT Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consulting IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Too Much Travel. Not proper work/life balance

Advice to Management

Don't let HR run the company

7. IBM is not a people company unless you live in India

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Flexibility. You can work from home and live anywhere.

Cons

A HUGE percentage of the jobs are being oursourced to other countries. There is little funding for employee education. This is not a people company anymore. They just want you to work overtime all the time. There is constantly this unspoken message that you better be happy that you have a job because we can outsource your job any day now.

Advice to Management

Become more customer focused and not just quarterly financial focused. Listen to your customers and delight them. Give them more then they expect. Focus more on their needs vs. IBM's needs.

This is not your father's IBM, and that's too bad.........

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM used to be a great place to work. They have big company benefits and name recognition which bolster your resume and IBM is highly regarded in the industry. One of the biggest benefits to working for IBM is the ability to work from a home office, which saves you time and money by removing the commute from your daily routine, although IBM does get that commute time back from you in extra hours worked. Another great advantage to working for IBM is exposure to insiders at Fortune 500 companies that may help you in your job search once you're thoroughly disgusted with IBM.

Cons

IBM no longer has respect for the individual. Employees are treated as commodities. Benefits have eroded and IBM no longer pays market for their skills. Some items that are touted as benefits (such as tuition reimbursement) are not available for the employee population at large. IBM used to have a pretty good bonus program (variable pay) but the percentages have tumbled even as the stock has risen to a 7 year high. IBM touts itself as a company that supports work-life balance, but the truth of the matter is that they've laid off so many people that the folks that are left (that haven't been reclassified as non-exempt workers) are forced to work more hours to get the same job done. Also, IBM lags other companies in their own leveraging of technology. My advice: if you have a comparable offer elsewhere, take it. If you work for IBM in the US and haven't already been offshored, it's just a matter of time. IBM is so process-heavy that it can't get out of it's own way. People in IBM use the "process" to avoid doing the right thing for the customer. Way too much red tape for my taste and the customer always takes a back seat to whatever IBM's pet program is at the time.

Advice to Management

Scrap the current review system (PBC = Personal Business Commitments) and find some other way to rate employees. Most managers don't really know what their employees do on a day to day basis and the remote workplace creates a challenge to fairly evaluate employees. Create some sort of program that keeps employees' pay level with inflation. I've received a total of 3% raises in the past year (which is more than most people received within IBM) but my out of pocket expenses for my own benefits (health insurance) have increased faster than my pay. Cost of living raises would go a long way. Walk the talk - create an atmosphere with respect for the individual. Value the employees that made this company successful, instead of laying them off in favor of offshore resources. Offer more equity-based programs - it appears that stock options and grants have all but disappeared. There is nothing here to retain good employees. IBM's name is no longer enough. Allow employees the latitute to take care of the customer, instead of hiding behind process. Let's see how well we can delight the customer with our superior service and make them happy to pay the premium rate, instead of hiding behind programs such as LEAN and trying to get away with delivering the least amount of service possible.

Big Blue doesn't know how to develop & retain young talent.

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

great benefits - health care, 401K good starting salary, hard to get laid off unless there is a recession or the company is doing poorly.

Cons

senior management does not care about your career. They only care if you are billable. Promotions are hard to comeby. If you don't get the right project and role, you have no chance of moving up. Raises are only 2-3% per year unless they determine you're being underpaid compared to the market. When I left IBM, I was getting paid as much as a new college hire even though I had 2+ years under my belt. Performance ratings based too much upon utilization. It's not our fault if you can't find a project for us. Annual Bonuses are lousy, barely 2%

Advice to Management

You need better training and development for collegehires. Don't make them staple papers for the first 3 months or continuously place them in glorified admin roles called project management assistants.

Management is not listening to the workers in the trenches

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Fellow practitioners make IBM a great place to work. The talent is very good and can accomplish anything given the chance.

Cons

The company is being run by accountants. Every year there is something else that is reduced which is affecting morale and productivity. Basic software that my customer has that I can't get. I know many people who buy their own copies of software just to do their job we are asked to do. Education is a big complaint as well. And every employee gets animated when we bring up the subject thanks awards.

Advice to Management

Listen to those in the trenches and see what their pain points are. Help us do our job by giving us the tools necessary to be successful. Stop seeing everything as an expenditure to be cut to meet the bottom line.

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

well, you gotta go with the flow and be a yes man to survive

Cons

Rule 1. The Boss is always right Rule 2. If you this you are right, suggest that you look up rule 1.

Advice to Management

Try and be flexible in your approach. Rigidity breaks down.

Showing 54 of 15,299 reviews