IBM Reviews in Houston, TX

11,618 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,579 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I don't see a long term future for US-based staff

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I have been able to travel and meet people from all over the world. IBM can look very good on your resume, depending on your job role. IBM is very big on the work at home program, and I have not been into the local IBM office in several years (I usually only end up at an IBM site when I am traveling on business).

Cons

I was acquired by IBM in 2002. I have changed managers on average once per year since then and have only ever met two of my managers while I was working for them (I met two others after they were no longer my manager). I normally have to explain to my new manager what I actually do, and they develop their own perceptions based on what the previous manager told them I do... it's kinda like the telephone game, the 2002 manager describes to the 2003 manager what I do, the 2003 manager describes it to the 2004 manager, etc. and they end up with some vague idea of SOME of what you actually do. In the US, there is very little training given, as they seem to be investing heavily in training the "global" resources. The former CEO made a statement at the beginning of 2012 that US workers are not willing to learn anything new so they have had to turn to global resources. There are many IBMers in the US willing and eager to learn, but there is only so much you can do with free computer based training and little investment in classroom training.
    When taking vacations or going on extended assignments, it is your responsibility to find someone else to cover your duties and responsibilities (which is hard if you are the only person on your team who does what you do). It is usually easier for me to just stay "on-call" while on vacation, rather than call in favors to get someone to cover my work and then spend a week catching them up to speed on the multiple projects I am juggling.

Morale is dangerously low within IBM US. The majority of people I know, when asked one on one, are looking for other jobs, or they are close enough to retirement that they are sticking it out in hopes that they can make it to retirement prior to being let go. Most of us do not see a future for the US worker based on the 2015 roadmap and IBM's aggressive layoffs in the US, while hiring like crazy in AP (India, Philippines, etc.)

IBM is a great place to gain exposure to the challenges businesses face.

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Work / Life Balance, Steady income, decent benefits

Cons

Not going to make your fortune here, very bureaucratic, move at a much slower pace than other companies

Continue to empower the front line

Great place to work

Current Employee - Server Support  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server Support in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The atmosphere and coworkers were phenominal. Had a Great time here, a nice work pace as well without too much drama.

Cons

At times there could be very little work to be done. This was not a failure of work to be done, but a failure from upper level management to approve said work.

It does take quite a while to gain approval or permission to get some simple things done. Also there needs to be more communication between departsments to keep tools and equipment in assigned places.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Technical Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

well, you gotta go with the flow and be a yes man to survive

Cons

Rule 1. The Boss is always right
    Rule 2. If you this you are right, suggest that you look up rule 1.

Try and be flexible in your approach. Rigidity breaks down.

It was a great company few years ago, now it is mediocre

Current Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM exp Looks good on resume, there are lot of great people who you can learn a lot on the projects

Cons

too big, lousy internal IBM team

Compensation is below the market level, need to stay competitive with the market

A great company

I have been working at IBM

Pros

A great stock to own

Cons

Big, sometimes a number...but you must pull information, pull career development activities.

No comment

Ok place to work.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Texas City, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Good number of SAP projects...strcutured company....human policies are good...

Cons

Competitiveness in market and the way SAP project are sold are putting too much of pressure on cosultants..

Change the way you treat employees and concentrate on worklife balance..

Don't make the mistake of planning a career at IBM or it will cost you dearly.

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Recognition in marketplace.
    All the Computer Base Training you want.

Cons

There is not any "off" time. There is an expectation for additional work and your professional training to be done on your personal time. The tenet of "Respect for Individual" may come from the top but it is mocked by the first line managers in their execution.
    Diversity forced down your throat.

The managers should have an incentive in their compensation structure, validated by their reports, that they are actually supporting the work/life balance. As opposed to the tongue in cheek message that is clearly conveyed.

Management is not listening to the workers in the trenches

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Fellow practitioners make IBM a great place to work. The talent is very good and can accomplish anything given the chance.

Cons

The company is being run by accountants. Every year there is something else that is reduced which is affecting morale and productivity. Basic software that my customer has that I can't get. I know many people who buy their own copies of software just to do their job we are asked to do. Education is a big complaint as well. And every employee gets animated when we bring up the subject thanks awards.

Listen to those in the trenches and see what their pain points are. Help us do our job by giving us the tools necessary to be successful. Stop seeing everything as an expenditure to be cut to meet the bottom line.

Big Blue doesn't know how to develop & retain young talent.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

great benefits - health care, 401K
    good starting salary, hard to get laid off unless there is a recession or the company is doing poorly.

Cons

senior management does not care about your career. They only care if you are billable.
    Promotions are hard to comeby. If you don't get the right project and role, you have no chance of moving up. Raises are only 2-3% per year unless they determine you're being underpaid compared to the market. When I left IBM, I was getting paid as much as a new college hire even though I had 2+ years under my belt.

Performance ratings based too much upon utilization. It's not our fault if you can't find a project for us.

Annual Bonuses are lousy, barely 2%

You need better training and development for collegehires. Don't make them staple papers for the first 3 months or continuously place them in glorified admin roles called project management assistants.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!