IBM

IBM Reviews in Iowa

Updated Jun 9, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Review of IBM

Dispatcher (Current Employee) Dubuque, IA

Prosbest reason is being part of a company that strives toward continuous improvement and growth.

ConsSome management issues due to different management styles and micromanagement

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement is an important issue.

Big company in a big pond

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Dubuque, IA

Prostimes are challenging for the company, pressure to produce more, lacks leadership, decent benefits

ConsSalaries are lower than norm

Advice to Senior Managementtake a some risks; innovate with new mgmt structures

Managements Concept is a round peg in a square hole... it just does not fit in the IT industry.

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsI really wish I had some... I have been around IT for decades and used to really respect IBM... they have lost their way and I dont think they can recover.

ConsHorrible leadership
    Micromanagement
    Horrible hiring practices
    Unskilled and untrainable personnel
    Little to no promotion or raise potential
    Dubuque site is just an slave labor sweat shop
    High burnout and stress with no help or care from management
    Good talent is constantly pushed away while the horrible people are promoted and allowed to keep doing a horrible job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads on straight
    Listen to your "go-to" people, you know the ones you are working to death
    Fire the dead weight
    Stop hiring idiots that you think can be trained
    Actually follow IBMs values... and allow your intelligent employee to actually "THINK". Instead of laying off the people that can actually help you succeed... listen to them, they arent just complaining.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sweat shop.

Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsIt's a large company and if you are lucky or rub elbows with the right people you can get out of IBM Dubuque and possibly into the real IBM.

ConsIBM Dubuque is a very undesirable location for more than one reason. It's easy to get in but very difficult to get out of IBM Dubuque and remain in IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to work, work, work and then go to work.

Going through a rough patch and difficult to recover

BI Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsWe'll established systems that work really well. Expense reimbursements are pretty much clockwork. Travel agency does a good job.

ConsSecond straight year with 10,000+ layoffs or resource actions as they call it. Layoffs seemed to be random since some people had 75%+utilization and already booked on projects for most of current year but they were still laid off. They also had good performance ratings the past few years. Too much self service and hard to get a hold of competent people to help with questions. Must rely on your own network to get some things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation. Instead of mass layoffs how about spending some time identifying good employees to retrain. Figure out what direction you want to take because current 7 year plan does not seem to be working.

Inside Dubuque delivery center!

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsExtremely diverse workforce! A very green workplace; friendly environment. Talented people to work with & know.

ConsDubuque is a terrible place for people of color. Not much work/life balance for people in technical roles, chronic burnout. Overtime slashed for 3 consecutive quarters now,morale is very low. There's something very,very wrong when people are leaving on their own & don't have another job to move on to.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worry about Roadmap 2015! Take care of our cutomers both internal & commercial & the rest will work itself out. Stick to IBM principles instead of paying lip service to them!

Work with very bright people

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsOne of the best work experiences I have had, working with very smart people. The job demands were significant, but challenging and interesting.

ConsFinancial concerns governed every choice, from how much time allowed to support an account to timing for hiring.

Keep Busy and don't mind your compensation

IT Security Analyst (Current Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsIt pays the bills (Mostly), never bored at work(for better or worse), your peers are in the same boat and they are good to work with

ConsIts impossible to get your pay to reflect the work. They will over work you and expect everything to just work as if it did before. The company is driven by metrics and these metrics are now getting in the way of people doing their jobs or finding more efficient ways of doing things because it does not fall with the current processes. They will hire any idiot with some type of degree, even if they have no technical skill or they prove that they are a greater hindrance to the team then an asset.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the business back on track, customer first metrics second. And Pay people for the work that they do, do not leave them at entry level pay for several months when they are performing at a level 2 or 3 steps above what they are getting paid.

Glad I did it.

Technical Support Specialist - Intern (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsIt is a well known company and it looks great when put on a resume. It also gives you a chance to meet a lot of new people. I really like the company as a whole, but unfortunately the branch I worked in did not do the most entertaining tasks.

ConsI was there for one summer and I didn't get a chance to actually learn much of anything new or interesting. The tasks seemed to be very simple and not a good use of the talent available.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide the interns with a clear objective and a project that is engaging.

SCS

DCA (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsI really cant seem to think of one

ConsTo Many To Count Lets just say your efforts are better used with another Company

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!