IBM

12,317 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,922 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great environment but don't expect to make money commensurate with what your position would pull elsewhere.

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Invest in employees and benefits are nice. Paid vacation is solid and unlimited paid sick days.

Cons

While your skills will grow your career will stagnate. Over time they try to extract just enough of each employee to keep them right at the edge of breaking.

I really feel anything written here is irrelevant to IBM upper management. The apparent value they give to the employee is a facade. The goal is profit and it's okay to forget that actual human beings work for you. Mind slaves with no union.

Review

Former Employee - Advisory Project Manager in Delhi, IA
    Former Employee - Advisory Project Manager in Delhi, IA

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A good company to work

Cons

A very good culture to work

Be open for the new ideas & dynamic peoples

Terrible, mismanaged, poor atmosphere, constant turnover

Current Employee - SCS Account Focal in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - SCS Account Focal in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. There was extreme bias towards attractive women. They were promoted beyond their capabilities and received constant "attention" from the first line managers.

Cons

If you have no other options and don't think you can survive on the street as a homeless person, this MIGHT be a decent option. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Find some true managers. The managers they had there got thrills out of criticizing people and were generally inept.

Great place to build a global career / infinite learning opportunities

Current Employee - IT Manager in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities / challenges / stretch assignments to help you grow in your career.
    Access to world-class technology and solutions.
    Great network of very talented people around the globe for basically any subject you need, at a distance of a "ping".
    Job security (for talented and engaged employees who cares about the company).
    Competitive benefits package.
    Flexibility at work. Lots of options to work remote or adjust work schedule (dependent on the job role).

Cons

Compensation is a little bit low compared to similar job roles in the industry, specially if you grow rapidly in you career.

Bring the share value and EPS promises to shareholders back to reality - based on the value proposition the company can really create and deliver through its products and solutions, and not overly based on enterprise efficiencies (cost reduction). That will enable a more sustainable enterprise, with benefits and compensation also great and above market average, as it is for learning and growth opportunities, which in turn will attract and retain the best talent, which will result producing and delivering more and more value to the Clients, making the Clients truly satisfied and buying more, and then naturally bringing additional value to the shareholders.

Summer internship at IBM Dubuque

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned at the IBM Dubuque, delivery center in Iowa. Here are some of the things I liked about interning there.

Good team mates.. I was able to shadow system administrators
    Great manager
    Good training from IBM in house training portal, I had a total of about 12 training throughout the 8 weeks I was there
    The name of the company on my resume

Cons

Not too many technical projects for intern to work on.

Great experience for my first internship position as a college sophomore.

Former Employee - Technical Representative in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Technical Representative in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You are provided the opportunity to work with professionals in the IT industry. Managers work closely with interns and provide various projects and tasks to test your technological skills. I even had the chance to manage my own project involving the design and development of a employee lap top database. If you put yourself out there you can find some unique opportunities. Great building.

Cons

Poorly organized and did not establish enough work for on coming interns. I found myself very bored more than I had anticipated. Training is a two week process.

Take more time to plan for the internship prior to it beginning.

Managed to Wall Street rather than to customers or employees or for long term growth

Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Band 8 Tech Services in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the fifteen years I was there, I worked with many very talented people across the globe. In the late '90's, talent and technical depth were developed, nurtured and expected to excel, and work/life balance and the internal culture was built to retain the best of the best. The people within IBM from that period, in the first two management tiers, are outstanding.

Cons

With the Service Delivery Center concept, people became commodities, and the brain trust in services was drained. Work life balance eroded along with benefits, training and retention. Executive direction became obsessed with quarterly reporting to Wall Street and the bonuses at the expense of long term performance planning and responsible expense planning, resulting in whimsical and contradictory leadership.

TECH TALENT BEWARE!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shelter from the weather, start your career at IBM and you will not have any other options down the road!

Cons

work life balance none! workload more and more and more! Knowledge it has been all removed for cheaper labor! Process out of control to the point of bottle neck!

restructure management! Take care of your current talent or they will leave once a better situation comes along!

Review of IBM

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

best reason is being part of a company that strives toward continuous improvement and growth.

Cons

Some management issues due to different management styles and micromanagement

Micromanagement is an important issue.

Managements Concept is a round peg in a square hole... it just does not fit in the IT industry.

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really wish I had some... I have been around IT for decades and used to really respect IBM... they have lost their way and I dont think they can recover.

Cons

Horrible leadership
    Micromanagement
    Horrible hiring practices
    Unskilled and untrainable personnel
    Little to no promotion or raise potential
    Dubuque site is just an slave labor sweat shop
    High burnout and stress with no help or care from management
    Good talent is constantly pushed away while the horrible people are promoted and allowed to keep doing a horrible job.

Get your heads on straight
    Listen to your "go-to" people, you know the ones you are working to death
    Fire the dead weight
    Stop hiring idiots that you think can be trained
    Actually follow IBMs values... and allow your intelligent employee to actually "THINK". Instead of laying off the people that can actually help you succeed... listen to them, they arent just complaining.