IBM

IBM Reviews in Kirkland, WA

Updated Jul 10, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Contractor at IBM

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsThe people are smart and they know their jobs. Pleasure to work with

ConsI have nothing bad to say about them

IBM was a great company.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsWork with many decent, hardworking, and intelligent people.
    Remote work.
    Flexible hours.

ConsLong work hours, decreasing benefits, no outside training opportunities.
    Company put employees at the last order in priority, after Wall Street, customers. It's better be stock holder than an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace opensource products.

Career push and technical computer skills constant learning opportunity.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsStrive to climb career ladder
    Self learner
    Constant need to learn and be busy

ConsHuge corporate structure
    Continual yearly job cuts
    Daily job tools not latest software used outside of IBM

Advice to Senior ManagementCut more of upper high end mgmt positions &/or salaries so you can keep lower positions that actually do all the work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

has its pros and cons, but overall worth staying

Development Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsThe people I work with are great - I've made some of my best friends here. The company is also amenable with working remotely, which is great, considering the gas prices. The benfits are pretty good, compared to family/friends working elsewhere. My manager is good with the work/life balance, and he generally fights for his employees (though many other mgrs don't). There are smart people that I work with who are usually available to help out with problems, to get your work done.

ConsAs in other reviews, there is a lot of bureaucracy to get through. Very process oriented, which is both good and bad, but many times hinders your ability to do your work. A lot of times you don't see the reasoning/logic behind executive decisions. Budgets are so tight, it's hard to get things you need to do your job. I spend countless hours trying to fix my laptop, and because it's not my time yet, I can't get a new one that wouldn't crash as often. Morale is pretty low, and has been for a while - you work really hard, but don't really get any recognition. Sadly, it doesn't seem like there's any real effort to help that, and as such, I see a lot of turnover. At the start of my career, I was able to take classes and learn, but now, classes are all but extinct, and the few that are there are only available as online courses. It also seems that lately there's a lot of turf wars - people aren't as willing to help you or let you help with a project for fear of being replaced or something. So the focus on education and knowledge sharing has definitely lessened. The pay raises have also been pretty meager - we're told that the company has done awesome, and yet the raises are less than the year before. It doesn't even cover inflation. It's also not as easy to explore other areas within the company, if you're not sure you're headed in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people who work for you - there are a lot of smart, talented people whose abilities aren't being utilized, so they leave. Trust that they know what they're doing, and take their advice. Don't always focus on the bottom line. It'll pay off if you treat people right and do the right thing. Get back to innovation and take some risks to be back at the forefront of the industry. It's why I joined the company.

CEOs and management people please stop taking away our benefits and our money. Our salaries cannot afford gas price now.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

Prosthey have flexible work schedule

Conslow salary
    bad health benefits
    no pension program

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to work more on their technical knowledge

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!