IBM Reviews in Kirkland, WA

11,691 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,612 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1279 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1260 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 398 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 205 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Contractor at IBM

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at IBM as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are smart and they know their jobs. Pleasure to work with

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about them

IBM was a great company.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work with many decent, hardworking, and intelligent people.
    Remote work.
    Flexible hours.

Cons

Long work hours, decreasing benefits, no outside training opportunities.
    Company put employees at the last order in priority, after Wall Street, customers. It's better be stock holder than an employee.

Embrace opensource products.

Career push and technical computer skills constant learning opportunity.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strive to climb career ladder
    Self learner
    Constant need to learn and be busy

Cons

Huge corporate structure
    Continual yearly job cuts
    Daily job tools not latest software used outside of IBM

Cut more of upper high end mgmt positions &/or salaries so you can keep lower positions that actually do all the work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CEOs and management people please stop taking away our benefits and our money. Our salaries cannot afford gas price now.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

they have flexible work schedule

Cons

low salary
    bad health benefits
    no pension program

they need to work more on their technical knowledge

has its pros and cons, but overall worth staying

Current Employee - Development Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The people I work with are great - I've made some of my best friends here. The company is also amenable with working remotely, which is great, considering the gas prices. The benfits are pretty good, compared to family/friends working elsewhere. My manager is good with the work/life balance, and he generally fights for his employees (though many other mgrs don't). There are smart people that I work with who are usually available to help out with problems, to get your work done.

Cons

As in other reviews, there is a lot of bureaucracy to get through. Very process oriented, which is both good and bad, but many times hinders your ability to do your work. A lot of times you don't see the reasoning/logic behind executive decisions. Budgets are so tight, it's hard to get things you need to do your job. I spend countless hours trying to fix my laptop, and because it's not my time yet, I can't get a new one that wouldn't crash as often. Morale is pretty low, and has been for a while - you work really hard, but don't really get any recognition. Sadly, it doesn't seem like there's any real effort to help that, and as such, I see a lot of turnover. At the start of my career, I was able to take classes and learn, but now, classes are all but extinct, and the few that are there are only available as online courses. It also seems that lately there's a lot of turf wars - people aren't as willing to help you or let you help with a project for fear of being replaced or something. So the focus on education and knowledge sharing has definitely lessened. The pay raises have also been pretty meager - we're told that the company has done awesome, and yet the raises are less than the year before. It doesn't even cover inflation. It's also not as easy to explore other areas within the company, if you're not sure you're headed in the right direction.

Focus on the people who work for you - there are a lot of smart, talented people whose abilities aren't being utilized, so they leave. Trust that they know what they're doing, and take their advice. Don't always focus on the bottom line. It'll pay off if you treat people right and do the right thing. Get back to innovation and take some risks to be back at the forefront of the industry. It's why I joined the company.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!