IBM

IBM Reviews in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Updated Jul 10, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pricing Analyst

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) Klang (Malaysia)

ProsFlexibility, friendly teammates, great learning program

ConsToo specialization, performance subjected to manager review, slow in salary increments and promotion

comfortable, flexible but with salary sacrifice

Lead Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

Prosflexibility to work from home from time to time, excellent in house training, corporate culture, flexible healthcare benefits

Conslower than market salary, low bonus and compensation, minimal yearly increment, benefits slowly being cut off little by little

Advice to Senior Managementwould love it more if ibm could provide better salary to employees

Good to have on resume

Staff Human Resources Professional (Former Employee) Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

ProsYou get the opportunity to work on a lot of global projects with interesting people. Also the work culture is good and if you're good at what you do, the senior management will also respect you. I reported to managers located in other countries enabling me to work from home.

ConsI think someone who is proactive and works smart will be able to move up quick in this company. But there will be a time you see no way up in the next 2-3 years... That's when you know it's time to move on and not waste working life. If you're ok with stagnancy, then it wouldn't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe increase opportunities for growth. I know it's a trying time for IBM but employees must have a reason for them to stay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Diversity of career

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Prosflexi working environment, can switch department to learn different thing, a lot of learning education through out the whole year, happening colleagues with different department event, young and energetic working place.

Conscompensation getting worse, manager should help more on employee personal growth

Advice to Senior Managementcompensation must adjust

good , flexibility, of IBM company

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Prosgood and very work life balance. follow company values, leadership and good opportunity.

Conshard to get things approved, not much diversity and also hard to talk to the CEO

So far So good

Deskside Support Representative (Former Employee) Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

ProsIf you meet right colleague and senior, chances to climbing the ladder in this company or roles changing are higher than usual. Guidance is given without reserve.

Monthly Salary increment for every year for contractor.

Trainings for are given graciously depend on the job scopes and roles

ConsRed tape and process oriented which are typical traits in big company and time consuming.

Personal experience and encounter:

Individual performance does not commensurate by how hard you work but how good is your treatment to colleague, superior and management personnel most of the time. Therefore, personal growth is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncouragement by the upper management is crucial to motivate staff to work.

Worked in IBM Regional Contact Centre in Cyberjaya, Malaysia for 7 years

Team Lead (Former Employee) Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

ProsAppreciate your technical know-how and analytical skills.
    A lot of learning opportunity.

ConsUnfortunately, I have been working from a Helpdesk specialist up until as a team lead, but was not appreciated for my effort.
    IBM management likes to make a lot of blank promises, like telling you"You are on top of the list". But eventually never happened. Just a way to keep you working there without extra effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises, especially blank promises to a staff, whether or not the staff is an IBM contractual or third party contractual. And don't ever make a promise of transfering the staff to another dept for a promotion if you don't have the intention of doing so or if you are going to give the job to someone else and then tell the staff the job have been given to someone else and tell the staff sorry.

An old-fashioned organisation which emphasis own process rather than priority on business

Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

ProsThe brand and name of "The Big Blues". Working in this organisation will make your CV looks nice.

ConsReluctant to change, poor management, no trust, no enablement, no open culture and very poor benifits

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some competent management and throw away your mindset of, "We are IBM, we are the greatest"..

You are still the greatest because of the foundation build by your pioneer employee 100 years ago. Things have changed and changed fast ! Adapt the new way of doing business in this industry and trust your employee more.

Management reporting

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsFlexibility, friendly culture, fun events, excellent job rotation / progression

ConsLong hours, some unreasonable requests / work, low salary

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket rate adjustment necessary, keep work demands reasonable

Rewarding

Team Leader (Current Employee) Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

ProsManagement allows me to work from home and have flexible working hours. Able to work under minimum supervision. Trust from your manager is very high.

ConsYou are requested to work during public holidays and work long hours during month end closing.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!