IBM Reviews

Updated August 23, 2015
70 reviews filtered by
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Area (Malaysia)
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.4
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

1. Delivery Program Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great career as long you have great mentor/manager. I had once worked for a Project Executive who really awesome superior and mentor to me. All end when I changed my role.

Cons

Career development is tough. The management don't provide coach and support on your career development deliberately while it you yourself to survive and maneuver the opportunity internally and work yourself.

IBM Malaysia

Former Employee - Human Resources Global Learning in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Global Learning in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, beautiful office, interesting projects, great place to grow skills, fast-paced company.

Cons

low wages, no work life balance, lack of people managers, extreme office politics, difficult to grow within the company without networks. micromanaging managers , communication breakdown & racial imbalance.

Advice to Management

IBM should look into this matter seriously and take necessary action.

3. Best Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

Pros

Great Company To Work With

Cons

Kindly review your insurance policy.

5. I am #ProudIBMer

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

I am #ProudIBMer as to be in associated with a GREAT company that values human as it should be. A company that moves across various cultures and diversity.

Cons

Not able to provide a comment on this .

Advice to Management

Continue to uphold the legacy and vision that was trusted upon by our founders

6. Financial Analyst Trainee

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, flexible, best company for married women, Eco friendly working environment ( generally paperless)

Cons

Slow increment ( depending on your manager to decide), Benefit has been ceased due to the non-performing financial report.. Most of the jobs in IBM are called financial analyst but in fact they are actually doing something specialized which more on sales support and non-related to financial analysis.

Advice to Management

Speed up the increment progression, listen to advice from employees would be great to enhance and improve the company wisely.

7. Think More of Skills and Less of Salary

Current Employee - Manager in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Manager in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You're given the freedom to explore your own solutions. They give guidelines and suggestions. If you want to learn people management, this is the place to be. Some of the best managers in the world start at IBM.

Cons

Eventually the salary structure will hit you that you could be getting bigger bonuses elsewhere. Even though they give you lots of wiggle room, you find that that means you toss a dice in terms of what kind of manager you could get because they tolerate some of the worse managers.

Advice to Management

Take action on managers more. Don't tolerate a bad manager just because he is a senior manager.

8. Great place to learn

Former Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros

I have been with IBM for around 2 years and I was enrolled to a lot of trainings. Other than that, my mentor taught me well. He gave me task from many different departments.

Cons

Some of the people at IBM were not open to ideas. They will just shoot down your ideas. Which make we don't want to share at all.

9. Good learning ground

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are helpful and always encouraging us go learn and take on classes/training, seniors/mentors are willing to teach and therefore able to build up experience, knowledge and technical skills. Healthy working environment that promotes teamwork and open communication.

Cons

Too many processes in place that cause the tasks to be draggy. Some roles are too manual and the systems/skills learnt are not transferable.

Advice to Management

The management is doing well. However, should try to listen for opinions and suggestions from low to mid level employees as currently, most of the instructions come down from the top, ignoring us.

10. Good working place with a lot of opportunities to change roles

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility working place and a lot mentors offering in the workplace

Cons

Competition high especially in the finance roles

11. Getting worse every year

Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, working from home on ad-hoc basis. Most people are nice, and getting lesser

Cons

Too many teams break-down along a supply chain, where each team in the supply just doesn't talk to each other. Some never even met each other. Too bureaucratic, that it take weeks to get things done. Too much cost cutting, for eg: swipe ID card is used instead of tagging (magnetic) card due to cost cutting (which is embarrassing for an IT company) and the entry card doesn't even work for god sake, no free coffee/tea for employees ( we need to buy it from a vending machine, and the price doubled in 3 years),and they decided to cut the paper cups as well along the years, and even more cost cutting on employee benefits. Low/no pay rise. Waste of papers used in just printing names to separate printing (so much for going green, walk the talk IBM!!!) Dino age machines due to budgets, and more budget adherence, causing communication breakdown among too many different system used, too many controls need to put in place, which equals to even more redundant jobs for the employees. Dino age machines also caused employ-ability of workers to go down, due to the specific job scope for all roles. PBC rating system, where favoritism rules. Bosses's favorite goes up disregarding capability to work and lead, causing even more good peoples leave-->politics Basically, they are trying to adhere to the road map in the expense of their employees, and too many employees causing competitions among team members, which is rarely healthy. Too much of unnecessary online training, and not many in-house applicable skills training.

Advice to Management

If you don't start taking care of your employees, you will end up with 95% fresh graduates and staff with less than 5 years experience ((which is actually already happening), with all the knowledge to use your dino machines off with the employees that left

Showing 70 of 15,802 reviews