IBM

Updated Apr 8, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Watson's are probably turning over in their graves

Senior Technical Staff Member (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat talent, greatest colleagues all working on great technologies.

ConsAlmost yearly resource actions , which are really US job transfers to cheaper countries in disguise, are making IBM an increasingly more stressful and less desirable place to work.

IBM is a company with many unique opportunities for those to take the initiative to find them.

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros-International assignments for college hires
-Cross continent collaboration on a daily basis
-Leadership opportunities for college hires
-Flexible working hours and locations

Cons-IBM politics often times gets in the way of progress and innovation.
-Recent changes in benefits (401K, Thanks Award, etc)
-Expect late night and early morning meetings if working with international counter parts

Advice to Senior Management-Stop cutting benefits and allocate some real budgets for recruiting and retention - we as a company are losing talents due the recent actions called by the upper management.

IBm does not adhear to the policies toward their employees that they advertise as a caring place to be employed

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMeet many people from diverse backgrounds

ConsNo pay increases over 7 years employement, lack of respect toward people over 40, Lack of opportunity to advance unless you are a manager's favorite.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemeber what the company was founded on...Taking care of the people and doing what brought success the first hundred years, IT WAS not outsourceing everything just to make a profit

Learned a lot over the years

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrong people, deep technology, diverse workforce

ConsGood ol' boy management system, managers watch out for those they like and discard others like waste

Great company to work for 20 years ago, but not so good anymore.

Computer Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere is plenty of interesting work to challenge you. Great relationship with team members. The benefits are good.

ConsConstantly shrinking resources -- fewer team members to accomplish the same work. Too much red tape to get things done.

Short term job is ok

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent people to work with. Challenging job assignments. You get to work with a lot of modern technology

ConsManagement is brutal towards employees. Yearly layoffs that are random cuts no matter how good you are ( e.g. really good developer was promoted one month, laid off two months later) Very cheap company ( e.g. no budget for training / education, laptop upgrade only every 5 years) Very short term vision for management focus on expense reduction ( e.g. Hardware is not provided to test software because it is too expensive) Pay and benefits are below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent short term focus on stock price, expense reduction, and out sourcing to Asia will destroy this company in the long run. A real vision is needed from upper management, beyond stock price appreciation.

Long career gone in 2 seconds

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIBM was a great company to work for. Worked 32 years. Many different positions / oppts in the past that you could do

ConsMiddle - Manager laid off after 32 years. too much focus on earnings / share vs long term viability. Company had gone down hill since 2015 roadmap announced. It is all the executives care about

Financial Analyst

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule. 20 days paid vacation. Lots of post-grads. Convenient location. Good entry-level position. Advanced technology used in finance and planning

ConsSmall town. Low wages. Entry level roles lack visibility with senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the COE as a developmental place for headquarters finance.

Un-challenging and lack of growth

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsBarely working 30 hours a week
Easy work
Good work life balance
I chill all the time
A monkey could do your work (I guess its a good and bad thing, depending on your perspective)

ConsNot enough work
Work is meaningless
Work is repetitive, a monkey could do it
No room for growth
Office politics suck
Someone got an offer to move to a different industry and the second line manager rejected it! They don't want you to grow and do better things.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a chance to shine and balance the workload. Give us an incentive to do a good job.

Total disdain for its employees

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt may look good in your resume.

ConsTotal disregard for quality. Exclusive focus on reducing costs. Proposals to clients get rejected because they don't include enough people from India. Possibilities for career advancement are few as IBM is focused on reducing costs by shipping jobs abroad. The only thing IBM has increased in the US are levels of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrankly, I don't think management cares about their employees opinion. They are only interested in making a quick buck, with total disregard to core values (i.e. quality, innovation, product development, etc.). They do this at the expense of long term goals, future viability in a competitive industry and the company's good name. Unless a luminary CEO is hired and big changes are implemented, it would not surprise me if IBM went the way of Kodak. But by that time, the people who are presently raping this company will have all received their bonuses and will be long gone.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.