IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

117 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Review

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsThere used to be a lot of opportunity.

ConsThere is less opportunity now.

Dumber Planet, ancient technology, same old problems ......

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsVery flexible work schedule, Ping Pong, the people in Rochester are very nice. There are a lot of 20 somethings working there so there are always a lot of people to go out to bars with after work .

ConsLow pay for FAs. Extremely HIGH Turnover. Outdated technology (ie. Microsoft 2003) Messy offices, trash is only taken out once a week. All you do it put numbers into spreadsheets you don't really do any Analysis of Financials.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay or the benefits, maybe consider getting a gym at the Rochester facility,

Good company for new Grads

Rochester, MN

ProsWorking as a Financial analyst at the Rochester COE has it perks. First the work life balance is great, you work 40 or even 38 hours some weeks, as long as you get your work done. You also have the option to work from home and the atmosphere is very laid back and relaxed and this is reflected in the dress code. Plus the average age for FA's is 24/25 so it is a youthful bunch.

ConsSalary is pathetic, 40k flat with no room for negotiotion. You get a 2k increase when converted to a reg. Also limited upward mobility, not he greatest place to build a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better and provide real growth opportunities.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good to Learn, but not to EARN ....

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsGood people, hardworking and easy to work with. Usually interesting work, can build a decent resume which you'll need in a few years.

ConsMore and more IBM employees are figuring outing being an "IBMer" stands for: "I'm Below Market"
    Most salaries seem to be 15-30% below market, (based on the many mid-career folks jumping ship, and peers at other companies) The performance pay /bonus system is even worse compared to industry. Actually it couldn't get much worse unless you owed them money once a year because undisclosed "goals" weren't met. Its all about nickle and dime cost cutting, and spending a majority of company's cash flow on stock by backs to boost earnings per share, benefiting execs and shareholders. (Note also few regular Joe IBMers get any stock or options either, also below market standards).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep encouraging your employees to leave, you are improving lives and the economy. Talented people leave and find they can earn much more elsewhere thus improving their lives and benefiting other companies productivity as they bring these ex-IBMers on board. So more people with more cash to spend into the local economy, and more productive companies. Seems like a win-win really, you just need to get more people out the door faster. I'm confident you'll find new novel ways to lower morale.

Good place to start a career but don't expect to stay.

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsGood place to start a career and gain experience. Be prepared to work lots of hours and don't be afraid of accepting new challenges. Flexible hours are great.

ConsIBM has become a company that only cares about stock price and dividends. They no longer have respect for the individual. You have a lot of flexibility, but don't be fooled you will always put in more than they are willing to give back. If your can do your job from home it can be done from ANYWHERE in the world, including "low cost country".

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery job you send off shore increases profit and dividends. It also takes high paying jobs from the US reducing taxes being paid in. Once you were proud to be an American Company, now you are just another disappointment.

Good place to work

Advisory Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsGood flexibility in work schedule. Many dedicated, hard working, and personable individuals to work with.

ConsWork/life balance is tough. And pay is not great.

Amazing

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)

ProsFun environment, Nice coworkers, Innovative company

ConsThe location was not my favorite

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good company to work for.

ProsGood pay for a Co-Op
    Offered a position back for when I graduate.
    Very flexible working hours.
    Also allowed to work from home.
    Very diverse work force.

ConsNot fully aware what is allowed for vacation days.
    Hard to get to know your co workers.
    Very large building.
    If you need help you might not know who to ask.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully move the location of the facility up to the twin cities area in the future.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

Staff Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsI have nothing good to say at this point

Cons20% underpaid versus the market, pay freezes, bonuses are almost unheard of, all decisions are made based on the 2015 roadmap which means they are focused on reducing costs at all costs with no thought to the long-term ramifications

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up, morale in both hardware and software is absolutely non existant. You've taken pretty much everything possible away (secretaries, supply cabinets, Thanks awards, snow removal from the parking lots, pensions, bonuses). Everyone I talk to on a regular basis is actively looking for other employment.

Little pay for little work.

Rochester, MN

Pros-Big Company (Could be good or bad)
    -Nice people

Cons-Terrible training
    -Nothing to do most of the time with exception of month-ends.
    -Have to work some weekends even when you have about 1 hour of work to do
    -Brutal pay, but HEY you aren't doing **** anyways

Advice to Senior Management-Learn how to train people
    -Increase pay, but provide more work to individuals, many people could take the work of 2 or 3 others and have no problem (save IBM lots of money). I would gladly have twice the work for only 50% more pay.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 117 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.