IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

109 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

7 different managers in 6 years

Consulting IT Specialist (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHuge opportunities. Always working with new technology.

ConsMy job changed drastically 5 different times in 6 years. Add 7 different managers and it is virtually impossible to establish a career. Did I mention 2 salary modifications as well? That is a code word for reduction.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many middle managers taking credit for any positive action.

Good Company

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsWork Life balance
Friendly mangers and upper level management
Good Career growth

ConsBig company
No place to enhance skills as the upper management does all stuff

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary is below market level

IBM Hardware is in decline

Advisory Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice work-life balance and lots of resources because of its large size. Good place to start working ... they usually only hire new college graduates, anyway. Usually at the state of the art in terms of hardware design, but that is in decline. Nice co-workers but the company pits everyone against everyone for performance reviews.

ConsIf you going into IBM hardware, be careful. Hardware earns money but unfortunately costs money. The amount it earns is not as much as the top dogs think it should, so I would expect it to sell off or lay off more people in this area. The company is top heavy, lots of senior people so you can get some early promotions, but then there are too many top dogs (due to experience) so you are stuck. Its EDA tools are out dated --- at least it should try harder to use industry standard ones --- and that can be a problem if you ever leave. Lots of regulations from the top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink. Think future instead of quarterly. You have the power to change the world, but if you worry and react about each quarter, you will loose all that power.

Downward Spiral

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible schedule, Good pay. The want 20 works here but I really can't think of any additional good things to say.

ConsLooks like the end of the road is coming. Crazy hours - work mornings and evenings in addition to normal business hours. Business units keep getting sold off and there are 1-2 resource actions (layoffs) every year. Everyone is just waiting for their number to be called. Meanwhile the work keeps piling on to the people remain and the business wants to pull-in schedules to get product out the door sooner. Less people + more work + quicker schedules = more problems for the customer.

No work-life balance at IBM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsCan work from home easily
Flexible working hours
Awesome opportunities to learn

ConsNo work life balance, PTO must be made up so IBM achieves 99% utilization. Required to work at least 44 hours per week and at least one Saturday quarterly.
Poor management
IBM does not care about its employees
If you do work more than required, still more is demanded of you, also without recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employee as a valuable asset instead of number. It's also hard on morale to see all of the layoffs occurring on a continual basis.

No longer your Father's IBM

Verification Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work/life balance.
Decent salary.
Lots of opportunity if you are in the right business.

ConsIf you are in a division where IBM is trying to reduce its footprint, you will get laid off.
Is cutting costs to reach its $20 EPS 2015 goal instead of investing in the company, this is causing IBM to eat itself and manipulate its earning numbers. This is not a plan for long term growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees, increase morale.

Smart people working for a dying company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone is incredibly passionate at what they do. They're also way overworked and undervalued. Some of the smartest minds in the industry are here... until their positions are cut.

ConsLooming threat of layoffs has dampened the community and the work ethic of the employees. Every day is a battle against the stock expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like humans, and reconsider getting cheap labor out of temporary interns and put more money into retaining the positions of your dedicated long-term employees

Had many different jobs within IBM in almost 27 years at the company.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYou can get plenty of independence and responsibility, and great people to work with.

ConsThere are fewer great people left - many are voluntarily leaving for more money/less stress. Decreasing staffing, increasing workload, and disconnected management can make the days very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople join companies - but they leave managers. Your line management team is overwhelmed with too many direct reports (I know of 1st lines with 40+ direct reports) and too much individual responsibility. Coaching and mentoring is suffering woefully - leading to increasing retention problems. Take action now to reduce the span of control and demonstrate that you truly value line management as professionals who develop what you state is the companies greatest asset - its people.

I had a long career at IBM, but was affected by a layoff

Software Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with throughout the company.

ConsCompany reacts to quarterly results with downsizing to meet their 2015 roadmap. There seems to be no long term vision which is resulting in more and more downsizing (right sizing in IBM's terms). Follows the theme of doing more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how your decisions affect the people in the trenches. If you continue to reduce the workforce at the current rate, there will no one left for management to manage.

Mixed Emotions

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are good and mosty of the team members are very professional and good to work with

ConsLong hours, many management changes and need to have a seperation from personal manager and account manager as the focuses are conflicts. Advancement is difficult unless you are constantly in class or "know someone".

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the actions to make continual management changes and if new managers are placed, they should not make personnel decisions without guidance.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.