IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

117 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good work life balance

Advisory Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsBeen here 14 years, learned a lot about various programming languages and technology.

Able to spend half or more time working from home which is very nice. Certainly this may vary for others depending on your manager and job role.

Stock options were very nice (while they lasted.)

ConsLike most big companies like this, you are a resource that could be let go at any time.

Any programming you may do outside of IBM still belongs to IBM legally because of the agreement you sign when hired..

Can get competitive and stressful at times.

There are legal rules/guidelines that are ridiculous and in conflict with each other: things like MySQL, Wine and Citrix Receiver being banned for internal use by some internal areas within IBM but used freely by others.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring more about employees than stock holders and you will be rewarded.

Don't expect Google wages and benefits

Global Commodity Manager (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsCan work from home if you want.

ConsLittle to no pay raises and small or no bonuses. Expect selective hiring with industry average pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire people with top GPAs, but only pay them average salaries. I can do better at many other firms.

Good career growth but constant threat of layoffs.

Staff Hardware Engineer (Former Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsMany paths for advancing your career and skill set. Great people to work with (though if most of your team is on another site, move there or change to a local project). The environment really is set up to communicate well with your team and provide you the required assistance in getting a project done.

ConsConstant threat of layoffs even in the quarters with good market performance. Upper management really gives no warning about employment prospects. It is probably best to be in a city where there are other employment options, should your job go away.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've enjoyed my 1st and 2nd line managers (even some higher ups), but upper level management seems to focus on stock performance over retaining good employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work a million hours, make a million dollars!

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat people! Leading technology. Plenty of on line resources and training. Enough job specialization that you can find a niche where you do what you love and someone else will do the other stuff. You can make lots of money.

Cons1st line managers are often geographically remote. For upper management, its all about the numbers; do not expect any personal consideration for unique circumstances. Money follows effort, but it takes lots of effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementYear after year, we hear about salary increases being tied to a market reference point (midpoint for similar skills). Yet, we advertise that our people are the best. Please don't tell me I can't get a raise because I am above the market reference point, then sell me to a client as some sort of superman!

My experience so far has been a positive one.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

Prosflexibility, lots of chances to grow within the company, great work life balance program, good insurance and benefit

ConsGlobal teams with different time zones, stability issue as resource actions are frequent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people managers more power to have inputs into resource actions and execution planning.

IBM can be an incredibly nice place to work but at the same time has the trappings of being too sedimentary.

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsThe people are nice, and its a world wide company with a good reputation.

ConsPay was below average for what I did. The HW engineering side was obviously never growing and therefore full of the same people doing the same position for a very long time. AKA if you expect to move up you had to wait for someone to retire (or get laid off). The business strategy is good but at a determent (shrinking) to HW engineering. You had to compete with people who should have been advising you for any attention with your upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompared to other companies in similar fields, It would be nice to be recognized.

Procurement Engineering - Mechanical & Electrical sub assembies to main frame systems

Procurement Professional (Former Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsIBM pays very well and they have an average benefit program. The vacation benefit is very good. They have flexible schedules for most positions.

ConsIBM states that they are remaining in the hardware business. History would indicate that this is not true. Initially they sold Storage to Hitachi. Then they sold the Desk Top/Lap Top business to Lenovo. They are currently in the process of selling Low End Servers to Lenovo and laying off a good portion of their Mid Size Main Frame Server employees. Anyone accepting a job at IBM in the US hardware business should plan on a short duration at IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementIBM was once the greatest company to work for. It has degraded over the past 30 years for employees in hardware design and manufacturing and any related teams that support hardware manufacturing. When IBM was strong they provided long term 5 year plans to the employees a couple of times each year. The last time I saw a 5 year plan was in the mid 90's. There are far to many Directors, Vice Presidents, and Presidents within IBM. The corporate portion of the company has gotten greedy like many companies. The hard working middle class employees that have been part of the company for 20+ years are paying the price by getting laid off in a part of their life where getting another job with equivalent vacation, pay, and benefits is impossible. The big question is how long will IBM last once they no longer manufacture hardware?

7 different managers in 6 years

Consulting IT Specialist (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsHuge opportunities. Always working with new technology.

ConsMy job changed drastically 5 different times in 6 years. Add 7 different managers and it is virtually impossible to establish a career. Did I mention 2 salary modifications as well? That is a code word for reduction.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many middle managers taking credit for any positive action.

Good Company

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork Life balance
    Friendly mangers and upper level management
    Good Career growth

ConsBig company
    No place to enhance skills as the upper management does all stuff

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary is below market level

Downward Spiral

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsFlexible schedule, Good pay. The want 20 works here but I really can't think of any additional good things to say.

ConsLooks like the end of the road is coming. Crazy hours - work mornings and evenings in addition to normal business hours. Business units keep getting sold off and there are 1-2 resource actions (layoffs) every year. Everyone is just waiting for their number to be called. Meanwhile the work keeps piling on to the people remain and the business wants to pull-in schedules to get product out the door sooner. Less people + more work + quicker schedules = more problems for the customer.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 117 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.