IBM Reviews

Reset
2.0
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

Patent "center of excellence" is a JOKE!

Former Employee - Patent Professional in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Patent Professional in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Relaxed, laid back atmosphere to work Plenty of walking around and chatting Opportunity to learn IF you have the right team leader and cultivate a friendship with the top manager

Cons

Focus entirely on Quantity, not Quality or Complexity of work submitted Nepotism runs rampant No incentive to do good work, just churn it out to be rewarded No opportunity for advancement - nobody wants to help you move up since that would leave them with finding a replacement and Rochester is not a great attraction Pay is roughly 40% below of market rates - just for those with a BS degree, around 50-60% below market if you have a JD or USPTO registration; I left and was offered 2x my last salary when I inquired about returning.

Advice to Management

Replace the current management with younger, higher energy person; start tracking hours to draft the patent application, not just how many get done; evaluate based on complexity and quality of work performed; since Rochester is not a garden spot to live or work for people under 40, mgmt does little to encourage employee's development since that would mean advancement and relocation

Looking over shoulder

Current Employee - Systems Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working behind a well known company. Lots of training available. All jib related certifications are paid for. Many employees have been with the company for a long time. They have lots of experience to share.

Cons

Having survived the last round of layoffs, I've come to find out that no job at IBM is safe. The company is not employee focused anymore. It's more about cuting costs (i.e. employees) if shares are down. Being a newer guy with the company has felt like I have a target on my back because older guys think I was hired to replace them.

Advice to Management

Think about cutting out some of the upper management and reduce their insane salaries and focus in innovation instead of share value.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, ability to work from home for many positions, good pay, and interesting work

Cons

IBM is in decline, management decisions are short-sighted and just focused on the next quarter. Cost cutting and layoffs are common, and moral and motivation is very low. The cost cutting and layoffs are damaging IBM's ability to remain competitive. Raises and bonuses have been almost non-existent the last few years.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, and at least let employees know when layoffs have happened so everyone isn't just guessing and wondering if they will be let go soon. Stop the cost cutting and focus on actually improving products and retaining talented people.

A once great company to work for.

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hmmm, still employed is all I can think of.

Cons

Constant threat of losing your job. Understaffed and over worked. I have worked for IBM 32 years, we all want IBM to succeed. We are all committed to quality and product excellence if only given the right priority by Senior management.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to wring out dollars at the long term expense of the company. Bite the bullet now and REALLY go after Cloud computing. Done right (not by going cheap with India and China development and manufacturing)

Do not waste your life here

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time. Good people. Able to work on different projects. Good vacation. Use to be one of the best company to work for 10 years ago

Cons

Salary. Benefits. Bad management. PBC Review process. No bonus. No raises. No career growth. Financial engineering company. Higher management has no clue

Advice to Management

Listen to people and care

Good for the resume, Not great for a long term career

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great name will look good for future employers Can learn a lot of excel skills Coworkers are very varied and knowledgable

Cons

Constant outsourcing is concerning Future of company does not seem great Way too much middle management is holding company back High Turnover Compensation is below competition

Advice to Management

Pay workers more so that there is less turnover and more stability within different divisions

Not as described in the recruiting process

Current Employee - GBS Partner in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - GBS Partner in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

IBM is well respected, with a long history of product innovation.

Cons

While IBM has leading software solutions, IBM consulting services (GBS) can not deliver on client projects. It lacks the internal capabilities, focus, leadership, methods and discipline to effectively compete against other more qualified firms like Accenture. It's no good to sell work to trusting clients that IBM can't or deliver on.

Advice to Management

GBS is broken - it isn't synergistic with IBM's core strategy nor does it have the independence to become great in its own right. It is tarnishing IBM's reputation in the market.

Decent entry level role for those with no prior experience, but look to move on quickly

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent but declining company brand to put on a resume for future job searches. Great opportunity to develop ping pong and foosball skills. Able to take long lunches and leave early for the day without anyone noticing. Company sponsored events are fun, including baseball games and trips to Minneapolis. Good stepping stone to finding a better job in the cities.

Cons

Finance is drastically underpaid compared to other companies. Intense boredom is common. Some days I go the entire day without doing any work at all. If you give the impression that you have improved your role and eliminated work, you are rewarded with more responsibility and work added to your role with no additional pay increase. New hires are trained by the person who had the role previously, if the previous worker is already gone, you are in trouble. They used to order pizza for quarter close but the expense was hurting IBM's earnings, so they cut that out. They sell the dream of being promoted to the New York location, but that rarely materializes.

Advice to Management

Pay a reasonable salary and improve training process.

Good resume padder for recent graduates, don't overstay your welcome

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*You get an alright entry level experience of financial planning and analysis for a Fortune 30 company *Great networking opportunities and you work with some incredible and brilliant people *Awesome work life balance, but at the cost of performing unfulfilling humdrum work *You get really good at Ping Pong, and they have a private disc golf course on site that is top quality

Cons

*Rochester COE has no room for advancement. Your promotions = greater workload for the same pay. While there are boundless opportunities within the company at large, COE's are viewed as back office support roles and there is no clear progression to advance within finance or even horizontally transfer to a different location or country. IBM is at the cutting edge of IT, some of the growth initiatives are amazingly exciting and progressive (ie. Watson) but the COE is too far detached from the excitement of overall company. Aside from the occasional meeting or education initiative you forget that you are even working for an top IT company. *IBM doesn't practice what they preach, we sell Cognos TM1 and BI software to our GBS clients yet Financial Analysts are forced to use archaic and outdated systems, software and tools *While IBM looks good on your resume, your day to day tasks and skiils are so limited in scope and specialized specifically to IBM and your role, that you don't personally develop many transferable skills. *"Restlessly Reinvent" is a ruse - every aspect of IBM is ineffiecient and there isn't much room to challenge this status quo *Full Time FA salary for Rochester MN, COE = $41,000 - even with cost of living adjustment this is significantly low compared to the market *Understand what your getting yourself into as a Financial Analyst - I took this role as a co-op while I finished my last class required to graduate and then went directly into a full time role because I lacked substantial internship experience. It is a good experience in that you learn what jobs you don't want to turn into your career. If you are content with putting in your hours and performing unimportant work than it is a safe gig, but if your a go getter I wouldn't suggest staying for over a year.

Great place to work if you don't like adding value to a company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The PTO is nice, as a regular employee I get 20 days. Also, the health benefits I have are decent and practically free.

Cons

I don't even know where to start with the cons of working at the COE in Rochester. Yes, IBM looks good to have on your resume but it's not worth the soul sucking torture you have to go through every day. Training is a joke, they rely on the person who had the role before you to train you in... my past two roles I've gotten because someone has been leaving IBM and they didn't really care about training me. This has left me feeling like I've been "thrown to the wolves" with both of my roles... BUT it's ok, because it's not like the work you do actually adds any value to IBM. I've feel like I've gained very little work experience in the finance field. If you do happen to take an FA job here, I hope you don't plan on growing your career here. There are very few opportunities for advancement. I guess I shouldn't say that, the Rochester COE does seem to love to do vertical promotions... you know, the type where you get more work but no extra pay. Overall, I highly advise that you only take a job here as a very last resort if you can't get another job out of college.

Advice to Management

Take training more seriously because bootcamp is a joke. Also, find a way to make your employees feel like their role actually adds value to the company.

Showing 46 of 15,930 reviews