IBM Reviews in Minnesota

11,867 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,697 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1297 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1271 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 410 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 207 reviews)

More Highlights

129 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance and time off.

Cons

Low pay and not flexible telecommute policy.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big Blue has many great opportunities to advance your career. Internal education and external training compensation. The atmosphere is more contemporary and relaxed. Being involved in leading edge technology that has truly shaped the world.

Cons

There's so many management changes it's difficult to build a relationship with your manager, seems like you're always starting over. So much is focused on statistics for your job instead of the efforts.

Find another way to stay in touch with each employee. Don't focus on the stats in those cases see what your employee has contributed to the team.

Work a million hours, make a million dollars!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! Leading technology. Plenty of on line resources and training. Enough job specialization that you can find a niche where you do what you love and someone else will do the other stuff. You can make lots of money.

Cons

1st line managers are often geographically remote. For upper management, its all about the numbers; do not expect any personal consideration for unique circumstances. Money follows effort, but it takes lots of effort.

Year after year, we hear about salary increases being tied to a market reference point (midpoint for similar skills). Yet, we advertise that our people are the best. Please don't tell me I can't get a raise because I am above the market reference point, then sell me to a client as some sort of superman!

Good work life balance

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Been here 14 years, learned a lot about various programming languages and technology.

Able to spend half or more time working from home which is very nice. Certainly this may vary for others depending on your manager and job role.

Stock options were very nice (while they lasted.)

Cons

Like most big companies like this, you are a resource that could be let go at any time.

Any programming you may do outside of IBM still belongs to IBM legally because of the agreement you sign when hired..

Can get competitive and stressful at times.

There are legal rules/guidelines that are ridiculous and in conflict with each other: things like MySQL, Wine and Citrix Receiver being banned for internal use by some internal areas within IBM but used freely by others.

Start caring more about employees than stock holders and you will be rewarded.

Good career growth but constant threat of layoffs.

Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many paths for advancing your career and skill set. Great people to work with (though if most of your team is on another site, move there or change to a local project). The environment really is set up to communicate well with your team and provide you the required assistance in getting a project done.

Cons

Constant threat of layoffs even in the quarters with good market performance. Upper management really gives no warning about employment prospects. It is probably best to be in a city where there are other employment options, should your job go away.

I've enjoyed my 1st and 2nd line managers (even some higher ups), but upper level management seems to focus on stock performance over retaining good employees.

My experience so far has been a positive one.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexibility, lots of chances to grow within the company, great work life balance program, good insurance and benefit

Cons

Global teams with different time zones, stability issue as resource actions are frequent.

Give people managers more power to have inputs into resource actions and execution planning.

Procurement Engineering - Mechanical & Electrical sub assembies to main frame systems

Former Employee - Procurement Professional in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Procurement Professional in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM pays very well and they have an average benefit program. The vacation benefit is very good. They have flexible schedules for most positions.

Cons

IBM states that they are remaining in the hardware business. History would indicate that this is not true. Initially they sold Storage to Hitachi. Then they sold the Desk Top/Lap Top business to Lenovo. They are currently in the process of selling Low End Servers to Lenovo and laying off a good portion of their Mid Size Main Frame Server employees. Anyone accepting a job at IBM in the US hardware business should plan on a short duration at IBM.

IBM was once the greatest company to work for. It has degraded over the past 30 years for employees in hardware design and manufacturing and any related teams that support hardware manufacturing. When IBM was strong they provided long term 5 year plans to the employees a couple of times each year. The last time I saw a 5 year plan was in the mid 90's. There are far to many Directors, Vice Presidents, and Presidents within IBM. The corporate portion of the company has gotten greedy like many companies. The hard working middle class employees that have been part of the company for 20+ years are paying the price by getting laid off in a part of their life where getting another job with equivalent vacation, pay, and benefits is impossible. The big question is how long will IBM last once they no longer manufacture hardware?

Don't expect Google wages and benefits

Current Employee - Global Commodity Manager in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Global Commodity Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can work from home if you want.

Cons

Little to no pay raises and small or no bonuses. Expect selective hiring with industry average pay.

You hire people with top GPAs, but only pay them average salaries. I can do better at many other firms.

IBM can be an incredibly nice place to work but at the same time has the trappings of being too sedimentary.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are nice, and its a world wide company with a good reputation.

Cons

Pay was below average for what I did. The HW engineering side was obviously never growing and therefore full of the same people doing the same position for a very long time. AKA if you expect to move up you had to wait for someone to retire (or get laid off). The business strategy is good but at a determent (shrinking) to HW engineering. You had to compete with people who should have been advising you for any attention with your upper management.

Compared to other companies in similar fields, It would be nice to be recognized.

Bad Hiring experience

Current Employee - Intern in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy access to get job

Cons

bad pay for their employees

don't outsource the hiring process