IBM Reviews

1. Software Engineer Internship

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is very active in making sure that interns have a chance to be involved at work, and also in the community. The organize a group specifically for interns to network and participate in fun events, such as volleyball, beach days, happy hours, etc. The pay is higher than expected. The work is entertaining, and I definitely picked up a few new things from my short time here.

Cons

This might not be everyone's case, but I received little direction on what they expected out of my project. A lot of the decisions were made by me, and then they just went with it. As an intern a little more direction would have been appreciated. Also, they assigned a leader to me that is always busy. He as meetings all day, every day. This makes it hard to get changes approved, and questions answered.

Advice to Management

Assign a leader to the intern that will have more time to contribute. My leader is always busy with meetings, and there is no chance in ever getting project questions answered. Makes it frustrating to come to work sometimes, and I feel like time is wasted trying to find an answer.

2. IBM Intern

Current Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything you are required to do is reasonable (they hired you because you can do it!) and everyone is willing to help you along the way. Being an intern, they try to expose you to more than where you work, pushing you to network and experience other places around IBM that you otherwise wouldn't with just your internship. Overall, wonderful place to be an intern even if its not something you learn you don't want to do.

Cons

Currently the company is going through some reshaping, so the idea of opportunities is very vague. If you enjoy your job, being an intern makes you sad that this can't be your real position.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! IBM management is some of the most smartest and nicest people you'll ever meet.

3. Co-op

Current Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Rochester, MN
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Worlds largest tech company One of the best brands to work for Good exposure to technology Lot of options, one can move to any technology

Cons

Bureaucracy, sometimes! as its a large organization

5. A great atmosphere and great coworkers

Current Intern - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Intern - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is incredibly relaxed, people are incredibly friendly and helpful.

Cons

There isn't very much to do as an intern, you work 40 hours a week, but don't get a full time load, so it can be boring.

Advice to Management

Make it as easy as possible for interns to get involved in as many projects as they want to/can handle.

6. Program Manager

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to change positions and grow

Cons

Bonuses and awards are part of your annual objectives and ultimately after the review period, all 'increases' or bonuses are 'put on hold' for a year (this happened the last 3 years). No incentive to do great work.

7. Financial Analyst Intern

Current Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Rochester, MN
    Current Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM as an intern

Pros

The first 4 weeks are on site training, 2 with the co-op you'll be replacing then 1 week reviewing everything IBM to paint the big picture then the last week is specific training on the software you'll use on the job. One of the best things about the job is the time you have left over you can spend learning a new tools, six sigma, vba, etc.

Cons

Bureaucratic, they don't encourage networking outside of the office, my boss laughed after asking for business cards. There can be inefficiencies in large organizations and you can easily be swept along with the wind however, for those who wish to swim against the current you'll certainly be noticed.

8. Advisory Engineer, Project Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, can move around for different projects

Cons

Working is very demanding, a lot of overtime

Advice to Management

Look for long term strategy, not just near -term business results. Give focus to your employees.

Patent "center of excellence" is a JOKE!

Former Employee - Patent Professional in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Patent Professional in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Relaxed, laid back atmosphere to work Plenty of walking around and chatting Opportunity to learn IF you have the right team leader and cultivate a friendship with the top manager

Cons

Focus entirely on Quantity, not Quality or Complexity of work submitted Nepotism runs rampant No incentive to do good work, just churn it out to be rewarded No opportunity for advancement - nobody wants to help you move up since that would leave them with finding a replacement and Rochester is not a great attraction Pay is roughly 40% below of market rates - just for those with a BS degree, around 50-60% below market if you have a JD or USPTO registration; I left and was offered 2x my last salary when I inquired about returning.

Advice to Management

Replace the current management with younger, higher energy person; start tracking hours to draft the patent application, not just how many get done; evaluate based on complexity and quality of work performed; since Rochester is not a garden spot to live or work for people under 40, mgmt does little to encourage employee's development since that would mean advancement and relocation

10. Systems Group Brand Expense Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM provides great OTJ training, access to relevant systems and builds skills quickly in the field of finance. The workplace is highly flexible and there are frequent departmental activities and outings to build morale. Working at the finance Center of Excellence allows for a great deal of networking, team building, and skill sharing.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover with a very young workforce. Individual roles vary widely in both responsibility and workload, with some having very little work while others require overtime. All finance employees enter under "long-term supplemental" status, which includes slightly less pay and less benefits.

Advice to Management

The entry-level pay is just okay, but not great, and there are no clear ways of jumping up the pay scale quickly. This is why, I'm guessing, the rate of turn-over is so high. People get the experience and skills they need to succeed at other companies who will pay them more.

11. IBM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Byron, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Byron, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get paid and have an office

Cons

Its an old place to live

Showing 175 of 15,952 reviews