IBM Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
149 reviews filtered by
  • Minnesota

Great place to work if you don't like adding value to a company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The PTO is nice, as a regular employee I get 20 days. Also, the health benefits I have are decent and practically free.

Cons

I don't even know where to start with the cons of working at the COE in Rochester. Yes, IBM looks good to have on your resume but it's not worth the soul sucking torture you have to go through every day. Training is a joke, they rely on the person who had the role before you to train you in... my past two roles I've gotten because someone has been leaving IBM and they didn't really care about training me. This has left me feeling like I've been "thrown to the wolves" with both of my roles... BUT it's ok, because it's not like the work you do actually adds any value to IBM.

I've feel like I've gained very little work experience in the finance field.

If you do happen to take an FA job here, I hope you don't plan on growing your career here. There are very few opportunities for advancement. I guess I shouldn't say that, the Rochester COE does seem to love to do vertical promotions... you know, the type where you get more work but no extra pay.

Overall, I highly advise that you only take a job here as a very last resort if you can't get another job out of college.

Advice to Management

Take training more seriously because bootcamp is a joke. Also, find a way to make your employees feel like their role actually adds value to the company.

2. Not bad, but could be better

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good people to work with - very diverse giving you several possibilities to work with different people
    - Promotions and raises are solely based on performance without taking much consideration in how long someone has been there; this can be a con to some, but I personally believe this is a entirely fair and seeds out to reward the best workers... hence, hard work pays off
    - Work life balance is manageable and good when you have a lot more going on outside of work, but on the flip side, it may be too slow or 'not exciting' enough for a younger employee who is very focused on career growth

Cons

- Underpaid for being an FA
    - Difficult to move up in the company
    - Unless you're in higher management, I don't have a 'rewarding' job that makes a difference, or makes me feel good

3. Great way to start my career, limited prospects for growth

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started working at IBM as an intern in 2005 and left in 2010, at the time (and I imagine it is still this way), the company was in a transition with a lot of long time employees and a transition to workers overseas.

My favorite part about working at IBM was the people. While I was the only employee in my group under 30, that did mean that everyone I had worked with was very experienced and took me under their wing. I can't imagine where I would be without my former colleagues. We still meet for a monthly dinner to keep in touch.

Another benefit was that since so much was in transition, I took on a lot of responsibility for my young age. While some may not like that, it's a great opportunity to get your feet wet and try a bunch of different things.

Cons

What I didn't like and the reason I ultimately left was seeing a lot of people let go and budgets cut for projects I worked on. I worked in Manufacturing Support, so as you could imagine a lot of that work got marginalized as more moved overseas. I wish those who had served IBM for their entire lives were held with regard and treated with more dignity on their way out.

There was also an apprehension to embrace new technologies (even IBM software!). My skills began to atrophy when compared to my friends from college. I eventually left. IBM seems to be moving more away from that. We were still using CMVC, software that hasn't been maintained since 2000 when I left.

Too much process! We had 3rd line managers responsible for 'deploying' our application who I had never even meet.

5. Reinvent your Future.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for IBM is flexibility. Ample vacation time allotted, and the culture is performance driven; as long as the deliverables are met, you can do all the other things you do in life. Also working at IBM you're surrounded by awesome people. Education and skill development is encouraged and required.

Cons

When there's an important or time sensitive deadline you end up working a lot of hours. Also, its difficult to meet the deliverables of clients when "costs" are too high and heads are getting cut.
    Its an unending cycle of knee jerk reactions.

Advice to Management

If you make people feel valued, you'll get a lot more good work from them. Stop looking for ways to stuff your own pockets and start actually valuing the people. Happy people work happy, give me a window or I want to work from home.

6. 10 years, good, but enough

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good corporate package of benefits. Prestigious name to open doors.

Cons

Managed by spreadsheet. No real long term culture. Very impersonal and overly virtualized.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the value of good staff while making your macro moves.

7. Big Blue, It No Like You

Former Contractor - Consultant in Rochester, MN
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, friendly co-workers, flexible schedule, having a hard time reaching the 20 word minimum so...

Cons

No upward mobility, lack of compensation, monotonous work environment, unethical labor practices, a surfeit of management

Advice to Management

Ya'll need Jesus

8. Good Start, but don't stick around

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is easy. You will be working with younger new grads.

Cons

If you get stuck with an international team you will be stuck with meetings at all hours of the day. Most of the work is so easy that a monkey can do it. Your accountants are in Mexico and seem to lack simple understanding of how to debit and credit simple transactions.

Unfortunate finance roles

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned a base understanding of becoming a financial analyst. That's it, nothing more. Stayed at the base - thanks to the location in Rochester, Minnesota.

Cons

The level of work (extremely entry level), the atmosphere (felt like I was in college), seemed like there were 300 analysts and 2 managers (no real growth positions), cheap, we had to vacuum our own offices. Yay.

Advice to Management

Open up the pocket book and entire your employees to stay a bit longer.

10. Great place to start!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Professional atmosphere, personal and career growth, vacation days, team environment.

Cons

Training, management, promotions, work-life balance.

11. Great company, great job/career, Russian roulette for US workers.

Former Employee - Software Engineer - Information Development in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer - Information Development in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are of the highest caliber! The pay and benefits are great. Severance package is really good.

Cons

Big company means a lot of red tape sometimes. Constant layoffs for US folks.