IBM Reviews

Reset

Overworked, underpaid

Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work, variety of work

Cons

Overworked, underpaid compared to nearby companies, lack of innovation, lack of future

Advice to Management

All middle management and above should be fired...they lost sight of what is important. You have to spend money to make money (and I don't mean buy back stock and buy companies).

Good resume padder for recent graduates, don't overstay your welcome

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*You get an alright entry level experience of financial planning and analysis for a Fortune 30 company *Great networking opportunities and you work with some incredible and brilliant people *Awesome work life balance, but at the cost of performing unfulfilling humdrum work *You get really good at Ping Pong, and they have a private disc golf course on site that is top quality

Cons

*Rochester COE has no room for advancement. Your promotions = greater workload for the same pay. While there are boundless opportunities within the company at large, COE's are viewed as back office support roles and there is no clear progression to advance within finance or even horizontally transfer to a different location or country. IBM is at the cutting edge of IT, some of the growth initiatives are amazingly exciting and progressive (ie. Watson) but the COE is too far detached from the excitement of overall company. Aside from the occasional meeting or education initiative you forget that you are even working for an top IT company. *IBM doesn't practice what they preach, we sell Cognos TM1 and BI software to our GBS clients yet Financial Analysts are forced to use archaic and outdated systems, software and tools *While IBM looks good on your resume, your day to day tasks and skiils are so limited in scope and specialized specifically to IBM and your role, that you don't personally develop many transferable skills. *"Restlessly Reinvent" is a ruse - every aspect of IBM is ineffiecient and there isn't much room to challenge this status quo *Full Time FA salary for Rochester MN, COE = $41,000 - even with cost of living adjustment this is significantly low compared to the market *Understand what your getting yourself into as a Financial Analyst - I took this role as a co-op while I finished my last class required to graduate and then went directly into a full time role because I lacked substantial internship experience. It is a good experience in that you learn what jobs you don't want to turn into your career. If you are content with putting in your hours and performing unimportant work than it is a safe gig, but if your a go getter I wouldn't suggest staying for over a year.

3. Excellent company to learn a broad range of skills

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

Pros

Great learning environment, opportunities if you can find a way to stand out amongst many analysts.

Cons

Little time to really develop your role, since people shift roles so regularly. You get a broad range of experience, but nothing really deep.

IBM is the worst company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There used to be Pro's. Management removed them one by one until there was nothing left.

Cons

Management and executives are absolute idiots. They treat employees like we are garbage. No raises, no promotions, no education, no pension, no affordable healthcare after retirement. Hopeless. If you object management tells you that there are a thousand Indians who would love to take your job, so be thankful you still have it. IBM is rapidly replacing all of their US employees with Indians, Brazilians, and even Africans. They do everything they can to get the CHEAPEST labor possible and as soon as they do they kick their US employees out the door. Executives try to fool investors into thinking they are making money by buying back stock at a horrendous rate while all the time IBM's revenues are drying up. This is not a technology company, it is a farce.

Advice to Management

QUIT. You guys are nothing but politically correct idiots. Romety is a fool and so was Palmisano. Look what you have done to the stock value. There is more downside to come as the world sees more and more clearly that IBM is nothing but a farce.

It was a great company to work for... not now.

Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, MN

Pros

20 years ago, great company

Cons

not employee focused, all about the financial results, this week.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics, respect for the individual and recognize accomplishments

Great place to work if you don't like adding value to a company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The PTO is nice, as a regular employee I get 20 days. Also, the health benefits I have are decent and practically free.

Cons

I don't even know where to start with the cons of working at the COE in Rochester. Yes, IBM looks good to have on your resume but it's not worth the soul sucking torture you have to go through every day. Training is a joke, they rely on the person who had the role before you to train you in... my past two roles I've gotten because someone has been leaving IBM and they didn't really care about training me. This has left me feeling like I've been "thrown to the wolves" with both of my roles... BUT it's ok, because it's not like the work you do actually adds any value to IBM. I've feel like I've gained very little work experience in the finance field. If you do happen to take an FA job here, I hope you don't plan on growing your career here. There are very few opportunities for advancement. I guess I shouldn't say that, the Rochester COE does seem to love to do vertical promotions... you know, the type where you get more work but no extra pay. Overall, I highly advise that you only take a job here as a very last resort if you can't get another job out of college.

Advice to Management

Take training more seriously because bootcamp is a joke. Also, find a way to make your employees feel like their role actually adds value to the company.

8. Internship

Former Intern - Internship in Rochester, MN
    Former Intern - Internship in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a base to become a financial analyst. I has been a very useful experience. It’s a place where you can develop your talent. And even if it’s difficult to keep inside, it will be useful for other jobs.

Cons

The atmosphere is very competitive. It is very difficult to overcome. There are no career opportunities in that companies. Too many interns for the positions offered.The admosphere is very competitive. It is very difficult to overcome. There are no career opportunities in that companie. Too many interns for the positions offered.

9. Great way to start my career, limited prospects for growth

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working at IBM as an intern in 2005 and left in 2010, at the time (and I imagine it is still this way), the company was in a transition with a lot of long time employees and a transition to workers overseas. My favorite part about working at IBM was the people. While I was the only employee in my group under 30, that did mean that everyone I had worked with was very experienced and took me under their wing. I can't imagine where I would be without my former colleagues. We still meet for a monthly dinner to keep in touch. Another benefit was that since so much was in transition, I took on a lot of responsibility for my young age. While some may not like that, it's a great opportunity to get your feet wet and try a bunch of different things.

Cons

What I didn't like and the reason I ultimately left was seeing a lot of people let go and budgets cut for projects I worked on. I worked in Manufacturing Support, so as you could imagine a lot of that work got marginalized as more moved overseas. I wish those who had served IBM for their entire lives were held with regard and treated with more dignity on their way out. There was also an apprehension to embrace new technologies (even IBM software!). My skills began to atrophy when compared to my friends from college. I eventually left. IBM seems to be moving more away from that. We were still using CMVC, software that hasn't been maintained since 2000 when I left. Too much process! We had 3rd line managers responsible for 'deploying' our application who I had never even meet.

10. Not bad, but could be better

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good people to work with - very diverse giving you several possibilities to work with different people - Promotions and raises are solely based on performance without taking much consideration in how long someone has been there; this can be a con to some, but I personally believe this is a entirely fair and seeds out to reward the best workers... hence, hard work pays off - Work life balance is manageable and good when you have a lot more going on outside of work, but on the flip side, it may be too slow or 'not exciting' enough for a younger employee who is very focused on career growth

Cons

- Underpaid for being an FA - Difficult to move up in the company - Unless you're in higher management, I don't have a 'rewarding' job that makes a difference, or makes me feel good

11. Reinvent your Future.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for IBM is flexibility. Ample vacation time allotted, and the culture is performance driven; as long as the deliverables are met, you can do all the other things you do in life. Also working at IBM you're surrounded by awesome people. Education and skill development is encouraged and required.

Cons

When there's an important or time sensitive deadline you end up working a lot of hours. Also, its difficult to meet the deliverables of clients when "costs" are too high and heads are getting cut. Its an unending cycle of knee jerk reactions.

Advice to Management

If you make people feel valued, you'll get a lot more good work from them. Stop looking for ways to stuff your own pockets and start actually valuing the people. Happy people work happy, give me a window or I want to work from home.

Showing 174 of 15,845 reviews