IBM Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

1,183 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company. 1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. 2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business. 3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors. 2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary. From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower. 3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams. 4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

2. Senior Product Manager

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company. Great CEO. Huge potential.

Cons

Many, many levels of management. Matrix management. Managers change every 2 years.

Advice to Management

Managers need to be passionate about their specific products, not just loyal company people.

3. Awesome Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

The work culture and environment was very good and you will love working there.

Cons

Nothing I can think as of now.

5. Intern

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work, lots of learning opportunities

Cons

No negative experience for my internship

6. IBM is good place

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home ,flexible time ,

Cons

Unplanned time off in lieu, especially end of the year , as a contractor you lose money , everything is IBM , so chance to learn new things not that great , some account managers are great and others very careless. if you want to be a full time the salary very low comparing with what you make as contractor.

7. 5 Years at IBM Marketing

Former Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY
    Former Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY

Pros

Great People. Good training. Great access to market research.

Cons

Too matrixed. Slow moving. Hard to grow in your career.

8. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

work life balance experienced ppl to work with

Cons

if you are a contractor its hard to move to become IBM employee

9. Great Long Term Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than 8 years)

Pros

Huge opportunities for growth potential

Cons

Frequent organization changes may unnerve some people

10. fortune company

Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working time, work-life balance, opportunities to grow

Cons

Most of the managers and TL are not experienced

11. Great place to work on interesting projects

Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

IBM has many interesting technologies and projects: Watson, mobile, cloud, analytic. Work with many talented engineers and managers who are willing to share knowledge. Great 401k benefit plan.

Cons

IBM has a very top-down management style. Initiatives are likely going to start from the top. Engineers with creativity and innovations and lots of motivations are likely going to get little frustrated by the top-down management style.

Advice to Management

There are duplicate produces and features from different organizations targeted to same market. Teams may need to be more nimble and agile. Organizing based on projects or products may be a good idea than organization based on functional areas.

Showing 1,183 of 15,949 reviews