IBM

12,359 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,939 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

896 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

In general this is a great company to work

Current Employee - Research Staff Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Staff Member in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment, very smart people around willing to help you, good management style at least in research

Cons

Sometimes too much focus in short term results....but depends on who is managing you

Accountant

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Somers, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Somers, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, flexible hours, telecommuting

Cons

none that are unique to the company

Lets continue to grow the business.

Not Sexy But Solid Stable Company

Former Employee - Advisory IT Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advisory IT Architect in New York, NY

I worked at IBM

Pros

- good client exposure
    - impactful work
    - large scale projects
    - great benefits
    - great company values

Cons

- slow career growth
    - company not willing to invest in employees
    - high travel requirements

- try harder to develop talent

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Global Program Director, Sales in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Global Program Director, Sales in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM is one of the greatest technology companies to work for. I say this as I complete my 31st year at IBM. It is constantly transforming itself to lead changes in the marketplace and aways, aways puts the customer first!

Cons

Patience and understanding the interworking of a large, global corporation.

Constantly coach and build positive, equal opportunity work environment.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM truly has global reach, which if used to one's advantage can be very exciting. They also feature many, many talented employees.

Cons

Senior leadership is sociopathic and is looting the company. There is no other way to describe it. IBM is dying. It will take a long, long time to die, but the disease is called incompetence and I'm afraid it's terminal.

Sociopaths don't take advice.

The Consulting by Degrees Program needs a lot of work

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is competitive for new graduates, and the healthcare coverage is excellent. There are a lot of great employees at IBM that really want to help younger team members. I've had senior team members set aside time to make sure that I understood what was going on in the project, and that I was really learning something.

Cons

The CBD program is set up very poorly and delivers little value to recent graduates. The amount of paperwork that needs to be filled out for project assessments, year end reviews, and promotions is astounding and very redundant.

Work on the training that is offered to CBDers, and streamline some of the HR processes (year end reviews & promotions). The current training program is useless, and it is difficult to get approval for the types of training that would actually help younger employees with their project roles. The amount of paperwork that needs to be filled out for reviews and promotions is quite frankly insane, especially considering the amount of work the employees are already doing.

Good Career Place, not Part Time

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great network, intelligent environment. Everyone working loved to help others and the company had a direct unified mission.

Cons

Structured hierarchy, long and difficult process to move up. Office culture was a little outdated. Mostly closed off rooms and hard to meet new people

Make the company more interesting to work at for young people. Right now, IBM is still has that old corporate feel. Most offices are located outside cities which make it an unattractive place to work for millennials

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

wide variety of product offerings

Cons

bureaucratic, slow to get pricing approved for clients, offerings are rigid

cut the countless unnecessary levels of management...many levels of VPs and GMs who add nothing, many don't even manage people....pay the sales teams better, the best sales people are leaving in droves to other more growth oriented companies who have a clue how to treat people....there is now zero respect for the individual and each year top management thinks of additional ways to cut more off the backs of their workforce and pad their bonuses.

work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at IBM

Pros

stable company. not likely to improve

Cons

in process of change. need to be flexible.

be more lenient