IBM Reviews in New York City, NY

11,849 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,690 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1297 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1271 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 410 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 207 reviews)

More Highlights

861 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Heading in the wrong direction

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Somers, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Somers, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Peers are professional and good to work with.

Cons

Too driven on quarter goals and making cuts to achieve them in light of long term strategy.

Think longer term strategies.

Co-Op internship

Former Employee - Federal Tax Intern in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Federal Tax Intern in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, great pay for an internship. Fun perks

Cons

Sometimes the job was tedious and consisted of a lot of copying.

Still a great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Internal mobility, resources, great minds

Cons

things happen slowly, some middle management is dead weight

Different divisions are like different companies

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move to new assignments and shift career paths over time. Great maternity and part time programs. Colleagues are mostly knowledgeable and competent, with some exceptions of course.

Cons

Executives from different parts of the company don't always cooperate, causing conflict and chaos with plan churns. Performance measurements are frequently out of employee's control, and ratings (and bonuses and raises which are based on this) don't typically reflect the hard work that is done to keep slower growth or declining businesses viable.

Need some new SVPs who collaborate and cooperate better to integrate across divisions, product lines and services. Not rewarding top performers in poorly performing businesses makes it very easy for them to leave only to hurt the business more.

Awesome work - dull office - long commute

Former Employee - Strategy Consultant in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Strategy Consultant in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, impacting projects

Cons

Extremely long commute from Manhattan

I loved the culture, but the work was not always challenging or rewarding.

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers, low stress, variety of opportunities

Cons

Determining future projects for self

Walked away with tremendous exposure and opportunity but with a new found understanding for politics and bad management

Former Employee - Watson Sales and Strategy in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Watson Sales and Strategy in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Watson has phenomenal technology that inspires with a brilliant team you work with everyday. Market demand pushes opportunities into the door more than the company can handle which is a good problem to have.

Cons

Bureaucratic and Political. Too few leaders and too many authoritative managers that cannot lead. Culture is trying to change and be more like Google and Apple but slow to move ahead.

Focus on client relationships, team relationships, and building an environment where public and corporate pressures on numbers do not negatively impact the dynamics.

There was a time...but not any longer

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exposure to some of the best IT talent in the world: developers, researchers and sellers. Global responsibility drives a big picture mentality -- you have an important role in shaping the business, working with colleagues from all over the world.

Cons

Elitist executive culture, lacking the 'how to' achieve the vision they have defined. Concerned more about 'the street'; little or no regard for the rank and file employee -- shareholder myopia.

Being an executive does not mean you have all of the answers -- listen to and value your employees. Ratchet down the arrogance.

review of office

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great place to work hard

Cons

hard to move up thru ranks