IBM

IBM Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 24, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

814 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Process engineer

Process Engineer (Former Employee) East Fishkill, NY

ProsGreat management - very knowledgeable and friendly. Advancement was available

ConsShaky last few years. Not sure direction of company overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of chip buisiness and focus on development

The breadth of experience and quality of people in research overshadowed any negatives

Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDuring my time at IBM I was able to work with some of the smartest and most passionate people in the industry. IBM commands and audience even when they don't have a market position with their products. I was at the table with CEO's, CIO's, Industry leaders and even heads of state.

ConsThere were several areas within IBM that focused on sales and operational metrics that were not accurate. Several divisions in IBM we so focused on their numbers that they forgot how to provide a real solution that could be implemented without engaging an Non-IBM services partner.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a feedback engine within the employee base of over 400,000 that doesn't use a survey metric - but rather collects meaningful feedback in text form - using IBM text analytics to filter and present.

IBM also corrupted the Personal Business Commitments (PBC) process in the 2004 time frame - I would eliminate it and the negative effect it has on the sales and distribution teams. If IBM rebranded PBC's into something more aligned to their original intent for measuring and rewarding top performers they wouldn't have the talent drain they experience today.

Financial Analyst

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Somers, NY

ProsStrong workplace environment with great opportunities

ConsPromotions, work-life balance, merit increases

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to start your career and build a resume

Engineer (Former Employee) Hopewell Junction, NY

ProsIBM has some of the best talent out there. Many of the technology and technologists are second to none. IBM encourages patent generation and has many opportunities to grow skill base. Great work-life balance. New employees can take on a lot of real responsibility.

ConsLarge bureaucracy (100 years in the making). Executve leadership team driven by short term financials and reactionary behavior, which consistently undermines the creation of great technology (takes many quarters and financial fortitude to carry through). Variable compensation rarely delivered due to poor strategic decisions from executive leadership team.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to bring in an outside leader (e.g. Gerstner) to recover a realistic consistent long term strategy and the courage to execute it. The focus on short term financials (2015 is short term) is eroding the differentiation that has enabled IBM to thrive in the past.

Incredible workforce, recent concerns

Engineer (Current Employee) East Fishkill, NY

ProsThe people at IBM are incredible: talented, brilliant, innovative, and constantly working to do the right thing. I love working with such motivated and friendly people.

Of course, there are always more things to do, so there is always a chance to branch out at least a little bit to try something new and open up some new skillsets for yourself.

Telecommuting (as an engineer) is very common, especially given the automation and IT infrastructure of the fab. It's not unusual to work from home if you need to.

ConsThe microelectronics division seems to be often overlooked by the larger company, though it clearly is a key part of the overall picture, especially for the server brand. That impression leads to a common concern about how much the company cares to invest and pay attention to this relatively small but amazing team of co-workers in the microelectronics arena.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through in your attempts to gain your employees' trust. What you've done in the past decade has not worked, and we can see through the lipservice...after all, you hired us *because* of our intelligence, so treat us in kind.

Great Plave to Work. Best Experience of My Professional Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsI really enjoyed the fact that I was challenged everyday by management and the technology. There was so much opportunity to contribute and partner with departmental peers as well as other organization departments. I always looked forward to going to work.

ConsI can't really put anything down that I would consider negative. Everything was positive.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Excellent pay
    - Excellent benefits
    - Lots of opportunity to meet interesting people and work on great projects
    - Still an outstanding company to work for

Cons- For most consultants, you will either be asked to relocate (and more than once) or you will fly weekly. If you don't expect this, don't join consulting.
    - Large company, folks at the bottom often times are completely separated from the top
    - Many layers of management, most of whom you'll never meet

Advice to Senior Management- Find ways to involve the lower folks (create a culture of doing so) in what's happening up top. These same people may one day run the company.

Need to reinvent IBM again

Associate Partner (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPockets of great technologies and brilliance. Opportunities to move around in the organization to find something you are interested in.

ConsTypical big company issues such as slow, rigid, stagnant, quarterly focus, etc. IBM likes to redefine things to fit its portfolio, such as IBM's definition of SaaS - it's a joke what IBM counts as SaaS.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to act - change nothing is the worst option. Management need to find a way to reestablish IBM as a high tech innovation force to be taken seriously; if that means selling off 50% of the business to others, do it.

IBM

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) White Plains, NY

ProsGood systems and support services

ConsToo little personal attention to individuals

Great people, great experience, very bad work environment, 60 to 70 hours is norm, zero concern for the human.

Executive Program Manager (Current Employee) Armonk, NY

ProsOpportunity to gain true global experience and to meet IT people from many other companies who have been outsourced by IBM. Opportunity to work with many other large companies and gain the insight of how they run.

Cons"Resource Actions"/layoffs all the time, never know when your number is up, exempt employees are often expected to work 60 to 80 hours a week and often form months at a time. Often the job requires travel, still need to do all the work with what hours remain in the week. Compensation is not that of the competition unless you are a new hire and negotiate real well. This year the lady running IBM canceled variable pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the only thing you pay attention are the finances then that is the only thing you are managing, the business and the people are suffering.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!