IBM

12,176 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,861 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

886 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Global Hedging Program Manager in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Global Hedging Program Manager in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers and compensation, great working culture

Cons

Not in New York City

Keep up the good work! I sincerely believe our strategy will come to fruition.

Large company with several opportunities.

Former Employee - Consultant in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is very large and if you work in the right part, you will meet and work with many interesting people. There are also several opportunities to learn multiple skills/roles and work with new technologies.

Cons

Complex organization with several dotted line reporting requirements. Some positions require extensive travel, your manager can make or break your career.

There are some do-nothing managers, you are subject to layoffs and politics.

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - SAP Package Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SAP Package Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exiting Projects, Lots of Learning , Good Work Life Balance, Vacation, Health Insurance etc

Cons

A lot of processes, less compensation than others. Takes long time to move up a Band.

It specialist

Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, smart people, very innovative

Cons

Bureaucracy. Not nimble enough to respond to market. Unwilling to make investments unless guaranteed returns.

Focus on growing business and not cannibalistic financial shell game ? More concerned about earnings instead of growing business.

opinion about work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to work, great talented colleagues, no work place harassment

Cons

poor management, low morale of most of the employees, lack of fresh induction of young talents

Need to take management training, need to spend more time with employees, be more direct and transparent, show interest employees' career aspirations and personal development

Senior Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and access to expertize

Cons

Compensation, Not a lot of other employers in the area.

Sr. Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Somers, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Somers, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, work hours are great

Cons

New employees new a lot more developmental help .

Company needs to be straight forward with their employees

An OK Company

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance and flexibility is great! Lots of opportunities to move around and work in different areas of IBM. Time off is very flexible.

Cons

No job security. Compensation is mediocre and not looking to be improved. Bonuses are small and benefits are minimal.

Keep trying to find a balance between loyalty to employees and meeting the bottom line.

Horrible

Current Employee - Technician in East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Technician in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit package. Not much else

Cons

horrible company to work for. You're just a number. Management is useless

Do you're job and not hide in your office.