IBM

IBM Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 18, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

323 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, opportunities for transformation

Technical Solutions Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIBM is a company that goes through constant change to move with the industry. Plenty of opportunities to re-invent yourself and transform your skills and capabilities while an employee.

ConsOpportunities to advance outside of business unit require concentrated effort to build network.

Advice to Senior Managementfoster more opportunities to work across different business units

Working in the Marketing and Communications Lab in NYC was a wonderful experience.

Marketing Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-managers interested in your development
    -have contact with higher ups in the ocmpany
    -open office environment
    -casual dress except for presentation days

Cons-interviewing for next steps after internship
    -hard to navigate the intranet system IBM has in place

A great company to work

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent opportunities to grow skills

ConsBureaucracy that exist in any large organization such as IBM

Advice to Senior ManagementAttract young talent, re brand the image in such a way can attract and retain top young talent providing not only opportunities but growth that comes along with them

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall positive experience, lots of smart, hard-working people

Management (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCan accomplish astonishing things, company is a thought leader, always proud to work there.

ConsDecisions too often made by the Highest Paid Person's Opinion (Hippo) rather than based on facts and data.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay out of people's way and let them do their job. They're really good at it. Listen to them and give them what they need.

Depends Which Department (GBS Consulting)

GBS Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Traveling Consulting = Points/Miles
    - Good variety of experience (clients, industries, teams)
    - Some shorter projects keep it fresh
    - Typically asked to gain skills outside of your core specialty = development
    - Work from home 1/5 days = good work/life balance

Cons- Limited Raises
    - Small Bonuses
    - Admin of a Large Org (bureaucracy)
    - Travel keeps you away from home
    - Work with B-class employees
    - You'll never work with the same colleagues again, or meet your manager

Advice to Senior Management- Scratch every HR effort and start over.
    - Offer more competitive pay
    - Make it so that you actually meet the people responsible for your development/raises
    - Listen more to what employees want

I was satisfied working here

Global Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat learning on the job, numerous projects that hit a lot of different industries.

ConsThere is a need to do 25% travel which is the reason I am no longer at with them. Some management can be hard to deal with

Good experience, Instant Credibility

Client Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSales led organization. ELA Customers produce the most.

ConsPaperwork, layers of above region people

Advice to Senior ManagementRate client customer satisfaction into reviews

IBM REVIEW

Senior Global Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIBM Review - in total, IBM is a gret company to work for.

ConsMust be energetic, precise, know client's strategy, design, objectivesc and continuosly strive to improve. Great firm to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuosly strive on being a company man...working for the firm, yet totally commit to the objectives of the client.

A once-great company in a long death spiral

Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart, dedicated co-workers; Some vestiges of the old collegiality at the working level.

ConsIBM's business model is totally out of date. They are now being marginalized by new players like Google, Amazon, etc., and old competitors like HP-Compaq. As sales are falling drastically, they can't fire people fast enough. The executives are running the place like a third-world banana republic: Massive bonuses for themselves, the working stiffs in the US are all being fired for low-cost third-world labor offshore.

The only engineering innovation that matters any more is financial engineering of the Earnings per share. However, EPS targets can only be achieved by layoffs and share buybacks, due to falling sales, and Wall Street isn't fooled. Businesses and employees are being jettisoned at a rapid pace, a much smaller and weaker company will be the result.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating all non-executive employees like serfs. INVEST in new projects, don't shut them down the minute they fall below some unrealistic profitability threshold.

Do it extremely well

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEither: (1) Your leader expects you to do what you are told, extremely well or (2) Your leader expects you to know what to do, and to do it extremely well

ConsEither: (1) Your leader expects you to do what you are told, extremely well or (2) Your leader expects you to know what to do, and to do it extremely well

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the quarter. It seems ever 6 months there is new direction.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!