IBM

IBM Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 27, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
327 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IBM review

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood company to work for good benefits and PTO .IBM is a global leader , IBM's infrastructure is shaping the future of business .They provide emplyees with numerous resources and online learning

ConsCan be a demanding work environment , decisions are made strictly by financial goals and many layers to go through to get the answers you need.

Good at developing leaders, but bad at valuing their employees or building community.

Strategy Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood compensation, sharp employees, good training.

ConsLittle to no community or employee appreciation. You are just a number to IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees have no loyalty to the company because you have no loyalty to us. IBM is becoming a body shop.

great company

Computer Programmer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat environment, great culture, lots of perks

Conspolitics, low salary, low career growth

Advice to Senior Managementhigher salary

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flailing a bit right now, but great people to work with....

ITS Client Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou will be hard-pressed to find a more dedicated and smart group of peers to work with. You'll work alongside some of the best and brightest.

ConsThe leadership can be disappointing at times... more interested in their own careers than doing what's right by the business or our clients. The benefits are not nearly as good as they used to be, and the compensation for quota employees is "managed" to make sure that no one is bringing home piles of money. If you're on track to blow out your number, don't be surprised by a quota increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what Ginni preaches... work for the success of our clients and the company and your own success will follow.

Great company with great professional talented team.

Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork life balance with great compensation. Solid technical tools to get the job done. They hire solid talent so you grow your career along with being super productive with shared business goals.

ConsCan be variable in recruitment space as projects vary in closure. Part of any recruitment company in terms of being adaptive. Overall, great experience during my couple of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Boring

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood name, good brand, maybe could impress someone that don't know the company internally, etc. Definitely avoid there at any cost.

ConsAbsolutely everything. Boring projects, managers like dinosaurs, low salary, 12 hours working everyday, middle management try to sell their company dream per second

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave and try to get work in the start up industry

Can't compete with modern competitors

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-People are generally very friendly,
    -hours / work location is flexible.
    -not much need to travel

Cons-Way too executive driven, not engineering driven
    -Older, slow-moving culture
    -Few growth opportunities
    -Relatively low salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make engineers happy, rather than shareholders. Shed several executive layers. Promote engineers. Pay engineers on a level competitive with Google and Facebook and Wal-Mart(!). The $20 EPS target is overly restrictive. Get rid of it. Try to make a company that Google and Facebook employees might want to switch to.

Four wasted years of my professional life.

Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI can't think of one.

Cons100% travel. No work/life balance. Minimum of 60 hours a week traveling Monday - Friday.

IBM Great Potential and Opportunity; Lack Performance Methodology for Employee Benefits

SAP Security Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility. Large Company with resources globally. Working in the IBM Global Services allowed for a variety of experiences. IBM Stock, IBM Name; Work/Life Balance Efforts. Great people.

ConsSalary stagnation; not willing to take a chance on initiatives from remote workers; unrewarded 150%. The bell curve performance rating process.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Performance Methodology leaves people feeling unmotivated. The top 10 have survived in an area and then are systematically made to be on the "bottom". The people who step up and take on additional responsibility are never rewarded during reorganizations.

Mixed Emotions

Client Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat place to get started in technology. Gained global perspective and business processes both internal and external. Enjoyed working with a bunch of talented and dedicated colleagues

ConsCareer at IBM really depends on who your "Executive Sponsor" or "Godfather" is.....A lot people get lost in the corporate blackhole......

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Luck

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!