IBM Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

1,050 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

BIg Dinosaur

Current Employee - Portfolio Marketing Manager in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Portfolio Marketing Manager in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Learning, Many Resources, Sophisticated Process, Smart People

Cons

Declining Business Revenue, Tighter Management, Collapsing Moral, Restructuring

Advice to Management

Many people has to quit due to keep EPS. They were good people, and mgmt will meet they lost great resources.

3. Great overall consulting internship experience

Current Intern - GBS Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Intern - GBS Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM has a network that extends beyond borders and has a support system to give every employee an equal chance at gaining the experience they want. IBM has the ability to give their employees everything they need to be successful as long as long as their employee's utilize their resources and networks.

Cons

Big companies have a lot of people meaning there are a lot of hoops employees must jump through to get to where they want to be in the company.

5. Great Resume Builder

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at IBM

Pros

You get the opportunity to work with some great people in various organizations. The travel has its perks (you can keep all of your accumulated points for personal use). There is opportunity to learn various facets of a project from beginning to end.

Cons

The training to prepare consultants for client-facing roles is non-existent and you can be "placed" into an area of limited knowledge just to make the numbers for a project. Very political!

6. IBM Intern (Poughkeepsie Branch)

Current Intern - Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees all seem to really enjoy working here and working with each other. All the newly hired employees were enthusiastic. It is a great supportive atmosphere for an intern. They have a New Hire Network which organizes multiple events a week for new hire employees as well as interns.

Cons

I got the feeling from other interns that many groups did not know how to handle having an intern. My manager was on the west coast so I had some trouble finding out about some of the general intern information.

Advice to Management

Make programs like the New Hire Network known early on. If a manager isn't local, provide the intern with a manager that is for questions about the local branch.

7. Hardware Design Intern

Current Intern - Hardware Design Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Intern - Hardware Design Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is nice. They really want interns to enjoy themselves and get good experience. Lots of interesting presentations to watch. Opportunity to work on different projects.

Cons

Pay, while pretty good for an intern, could be more competitive.

8. 8 Month Internship - IBM Poughkeepsie

Current Intern - Thermal Engineering in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Intern - Thermal Engineering in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, helpful co-workers and mentors, interesting assignments with a wide spectrum of different tasks and expectations (never gets boring), flexible hours.

Cons

Location. Poughkeepsie isn't exactly young-people friendly, some of the buildings on campus are very old and easy to get lost in due to the lack of windows.

9. 8 Month Co-op

Current Intern - Thermal Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Intern - Thermal Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! A lot of pride goes behind being an IBMer and that's what was mostly conveyed to me. I was given some really interesting projects and met fantastic people. I was treated like an equal as opposed to just an intern. My opinions were valued just as anyone elses!

Cons

The social experience was the most lacking. I was here for 8 months and in the January-May stretch I couldn't find any other interns or people my age. It was definitely a little disheartening. But the summer has made up for it!

Advice to Management

As horrible as this sounds, people my age love free stuff. Mugs, t-shirts, sweatshirts, food, etc.
    Also, more tours! There are so many IBM sites. I'm a sucker for anything hardware (mechanical engineer) and I'd love either a virtual tour or tours of other sites (the close ones).

10. Large company, bright future

Current Intern - Performance Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Performance Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. A lot of freedom to pursue what motivates you. As IBM transitions into the new age of tech companies they are really attempting to invest in young talent and that is great for interns

Cons

Huge company so not a lot of exposure unless you put yourself out there.

11. Internship Program

Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in Armonk, NY
    Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The projects that you'll be working are extremely important for the strategy of IBM.So you won't be sharpening pencils or making coffee. The projects can generate a bit of stress and anxiety, but the learning curve is very steep.
    2. The exposure you have to top executives is amazing. Everyone will know who you are and they are very down to earth and approachable humans.
    3. You have access to so many training opportunities that it can be overwhelming to decide which training do you want to take
    4. The new hires will make you feel part of the team even before you start your internship
    5. The best thing is the flexibility to work remotely as an Intern! Of course, you learn more if you work at an environment where you can constantly hear what IBMers talk about during lunch break.

Cons

1. I suggest you are prepared to deal with all the acronyms they use. There are a LOT.
    2. Because a lot of employees work remotely, the offices might feel a little empty. Depending on the team you work with you might get more or less face to face interaction with your team.
    3. They need to upgrade the work laptops assigned to interns...sometimes you could get a laptop that you need to restart once or twice a day...mine is fine but others have had a harder time with their laptops. Also, they can be quite heavy to carry around everyday.
    4. They don't assign housing, so if you are in NY, make sure you start your housing search ASAP so you get a good location and price.
    5. There is no free food in the cafeteria, and it can get pretty expensive if you don't pack your own lunch and eat everyday at the cafeteria...and food as good for the price they charge you

Advice to Management

It would be nice if more social informal interactions were encouraged at Armonk because it makes the workplace more welcoming and friendlier. Also, It would be nice to see more remodeling of the older buildings at Armonk. A few buildings look like they were stuck in the 90s
    Also, If you want to encourage people to work at the office instead of remotely, I would at least subsidize the cafeteria food and put more interactive information flat screens in the Armonk Buildings. I would also add maybe a gym if possible!

Showing 1,050 of 14,843 reviews