IBM

794 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible workforce, recent concerns

Engineer (Current Employee)
    East Fishkill, NY

ProsThe people at IBM are incredible: talented, brilliant, innovative, and constantly working to do the right thing. I love working with such motivated and friendly people.

Of course, there are always more things to do, so there is always a chance to branch out at least a little bit to try something new and open up some new skillsets for yourself.

Telecommuting (as an engineer) is very common, especially given the automation and IT infrastructure of the fab. It's not unusual to work from home if you need to.

ConsThe microelectronics division seems to be often overlooked by the larger company, though it clearly is a key part of the overall picture, especially for the server brand. That impression leads to a common concern about how much the company cares to invest and pay attention to this relatively small but amazing team of co-workers in the microelectronics arena.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through in your attempts to gain your employees' trust. What you've done in the past decade has not worked, and we can see through the lipservice...after all, you hired us *because* of our intelligence, so treat us in kind.

Great Plave to Work. Best Experience of My Professional Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsI really enjoyed the fact that I was challenged everyday by management and the technology. There was so much opportunity to contribute and partner with departmental peers as well as other organization departments. I always looked forward to going to work.

ConsI can't really put anything down that I would consider negative. Everything was positive.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Excellent pay
    - Excellent benefits
    - Lots of opportunity to meet interesting people and work on great projects
    - Still an outstanding company to work for

Cons- For most consultants, you will either be asked to relocate (and more than once) or you will fly weekly. If you don't expect this, don't join consulting.
    - Large company, folks at the bottom often times are completely separated from the top
    - Many layers of management, most of whom you'll never meet

Advice to Senior Management- Find ways to involve the lower folks (create a culture of doing so) in what's happening up top. These same people may one day run the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love the work life balance in IBM

Advisory IT Specialist (Current Employee)
    Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsGreat work life balance and good learning opportunities

ConsIncompetent pay , needs improve in pay.

Exciting research place

Research Intern (Former Employee)
    Yorktown, NY

ProsMany smart, self-motivated engineers, great place to research

ConsMinimal communication between groups, collaboration challenging

Project Mangager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood company to work for as long as you turn work in on time and handle problems that arise prompyly

ConsUPPER MANAGEMENT SHOULD PROVIDE FEEDBACK SOMETIMES

GBS Consulting

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDecent salary, travel benefits (or negatives, depending on how you look at it), growth early on in career

ConsTraveling 4 days a week, for about 45 weeks a year is a lot to take on. Senior Management is not connected with lower level employees. Do not interact enough and value employees as much.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract with employees on your project. Get to know who is working for you, opposed to just seeing them as an warm body or a number.

Lot of choices to move from one team to another team depending on what you like

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsYou have the oppurtunity to work from home which is good.

ConsLot of work. You need to work for 80 hours every week to get any sort of recognition. Some managers don't appreciate the effort you are putting in. There are job layoffs every year.

IBM quickly going down the toilet

GBS Partner (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros1. Almost every company in the US has some sort of relationship with IBM, so each new sales opportunity brings instant relationships - mostly positive.
    2. IBM's size and long standing reputation and positive reviews by independent rating agencies (Gartner, Forrester, etc) make IBM an almost automatic finalist for consideration as a consulting or IT partner.
    3. The people are simply outstanding.

Cons1. The biggest and worst problem at IBM is laser focus on achieving financial metrics regardless of the means to get there. The new leadership team is so focused on making quarter over quarter growth numbers and year over year growth numbers that they are doing unnatural things that appear to help the numbers but anger clients and staff and hurt the business both short term and long term. Some Examples:
         a. Running a near zero bench in a growing economy is one sure way to anger clients and causes DE issues (an IBM term for "Delivery Excellence")
         b. The "no subs" policy ignores the reality of the economic market and taken together with a. above, form a toxic mix which disappoints clients and causes them to wonder why they picked IBM in the first place.
         c. Putting cost savings methods directly on the heads of the employees - including such stupid things as i. once a year 401K matching (which is a clever prelude to doing away with matching altogether); ii. no raises or bonuses; iii. too-frequent RAs (Resource Actions) - with little or no severance pay, even for very senior employees (a Partner friend of mine got laid off and got two weeks severance!!!); iv. draconian travel policies (including the renting of only sub-sub-compact cars and only coach travel for overseas flights).
         d. Making stupid deals with clients at the end of quarters just to bolster signings - deals that do not meet minimum IBM standards are being allowed at or near the end of quarters, regardless of risk or economics, simply to add to backlog and make the numbers look better. These deals - and I have seen many recently - will come back to bite IBM in the butt in future quarters as IBM begins to experience DE issues and massive write offs. This last point together with a. and b. above, are a sure-fire way to ruin IBM's reputation in the marketplace.
         e. Making unwise M&A transactions which help margin but makes IBM less competitive in the marketplace. The most recent example is the Concentrix spin off. A low margin business for sure, but absolutely necessary for a Tier 1 service provider to be in the BPO business. By spinning this off, IBM gets to have higher margins overall, but gives up a very key market and can no longer be called a "full services" Tier 1 provider.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Smart!!! Stop this narrow and single minded focus on quarterly numbers and start thinking about how to make clients happy and top staff want to stay at IBM. Let us build a small bench of resources! Treat your employees like assets rather than costs. And most of all, treat your customers like customers, rather than a necessary evil.

On being a Managing Consultnat for IBM

Managing Consultant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAt IBM I was assigned to various clients using various infrastructures, platforms, testing methodologies and environments. This has given me a wide-ranging and well-rounded experience.

ConsIt is now all about numbers, your utilization, the revenue you bring in and the profits you help generate. The people are secondary to that.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the tangible as well as intangible contributions employees make.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in New York State — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 794 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.