IBM Reviews in New York State

11,618 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,579 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

837 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer  in  Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Great job environment - only drawback is uncertain future of semiconductor division

Current Employee - Unit Process Development Engineer  in  East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Unit Process Development Engineer in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dynamic work environment, complex problem solving required, great deal of independence in workload, great team to work with, excellent work-life balance

Cons

The biggest issue with working here is the uncertain future for the semiconductor operations - sometimes its hard to focus on day-to-day details when a large uncertainty is looming over everything

excellent

Former Employee - Media Manager  in  Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Media Manager in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

work, life balance and vacation

Cons

long hours due to time zones

share more information with underlings

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to start a career

Cons

Too much travel for my personal taste

Great fun. Great people to work around

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

helpful, welcoming, great people, big company, many opportunities

Cons

- compensation could be better

I loved the management staff

Disappointing

Former Employee - Intern  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Research is still very strong
    Work life balance, but only because there doesn't seem to be real pressure on pushing products to production.

Cons

Old work culture
    Benefits and pay are not competitive
    Lack top talent
    Employees do not seem optimistic about future
    Employees have a lack of motivation

Need to make dramatic changes

past its prime

Current Employee - Exec  in  Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Exec in Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great people, great ideal values

Cons

bureaucracy, way to slow, does not value innovation anymore

do away with 2015 roadmap

Heavy On Bureaucracy

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well known company that has decent industry respect.

Cons

I was part of an acquisition, and many of our best people left because of the onerous processes, politics, and bureaucracy. The people who are left are good at talking, but not good at delivering results. I worked on one bid where three of us did all of the work and the other 10+ people "supervised" and received some of the credit. There is a lot of room to downsize the top-heavy part of the organization.

Downsize the management levels, streamline/minimize process, and move toward a more agile/flexible/adaptable company structure.

A great start, then downhill from there...

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

IBM still draws some of the best and brightest. The work can be quite interesting and challenging. And the company offers flexibility in terms of work times and locations (unless you're required to be at a client site).

Cons

There can be a strong feeling of disconnection. You may work with a team that's widely scattered or based elsewhere, and rarely if ever see them. You spend much of your time on conference calls, often at odd hours if you're dealing with colleagues in other parts of the world. Managers range from good to awful. Unfortunately, I encountered more of the "awful" than the good. And finally, career growth can be difficult to impossible. Even if you're a top performer, raises are small to non-existent. The company sets targets that never seem to be reached, at least as far as producing income for employees. The shareholders, on the other hand, almost always hear a much rosier story.

In my seven years at IBM, it was clear that a change had been made at the very highest reaches of the company. No longer was IBM to be an employer of choice, with better-than-average pay, benefits and management. The race to mediocrity was on. Combined with staff reductions in the U.S. and growth in low-wage venues, the future for Americans was not bright. I left because my career was going nowhere. I've done far better in the years since I left. I'd urge IBM management to strive to be a great employer again, not merely a mediocre one.

Good place to start a career

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

a lot of opportunity to explore various fields for someone just starting their careers.

Cons

can be very political at times, more and more benefits are being cut, not what IBM used to be.

Listen to the rank and file,

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!