IBM

Updated February 14, 2015
1.6

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

2 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Treated as an expendable "resource" - no longer enjoyable to work here

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Name Recognition on CV is perhaps one of the few advantages for having worked at IBM
    Personal Network of Professionals

Cons

- Too many levels of management; slow to respond to customer requests for support, new deals
    - We've lost the plot in making our client #1; instead - we're more focused, too focused on shareholder earnings per share
    - Our Leadership has forgotten a basic tenet -- if we don't have satisfied clients; our EPS will soon follow (downward spiral)
    - Out of balance compensation adjustments- our CIO, Leadership should NOT be getting a bonus, salary increase - while telling the actual work force that we had a "bad year" - and thus, won't be able to reward/compensate you as much as we had hoped in 2014.

Enable your front line team (PM's, Architects, BA's) - to make decisions quickly - for the client; rather than falling victim to Risk Management/QRM/SDM GPE enforced QA's, Pricing Checks

Shakeup/Challenge existing processes - driving for more efficiency and quicker, client focused results

Basically - "eat our own dog food" - and practice what we sell/deliver to our clients (an efficient, productive, solution);

If we can't manage ourselves efficiently (and fairly - to our fellow team members) - then I would have zero to little faith that you could deliver the results you've promised me as a client

Rather underwhelmed

Current Employee - IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Obviously it's a really well recognised brand, and if you make a good impression on people with the right people and/or end up in a good team, you can get involved in quite interesting work.

Cons

Despite all the HR rhetoric around "we do everything, so you can have multiple career paths within the same company" the reality is that business need is absolute number 1, above investing in their people, developing logical approaches to client relationships etc. There's a huge disconnect between the product recruiters sell you (6 month rotations in different areas, develop your skills, opportunity for exposure to strategy work, analytics) is extremely different from the reality (a lot of need for technical or administrative grads, account partners are only interested in the skills you have and will keep you in a role for 12 months+ to use them).

Resource management is so convoluted that in practice the only way to get on to projects is to know the right people, which results in a bit of a "boys club" atmosphere on some accounts.

And obviously lots and lots of systems that you have to go through for everything from reclaiming expenses to trying to be promoted, none of which seem to integrate at all.

Either you are an IT company that invests in products, or a consulting company that invests in people. Right now you are doing neither well.