IBM Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
4 reviews filtered by
  • Perth, Australia Area (Australia)
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
2.2
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
1 Rating

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

1. Lead account manager for IBM consulting services

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation, clever people, global talent pool, range of services

Cons

bureaucracy, slow to change, poor internal systems, sometimes individuals stretched too far

Redundancies a plenty

Current Employee - Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training courses in the first half of the year. Exceptional co-workers. Big ticket clients and projects. Career opportunities for graduates are great if you don't mind getting underpaid for years.

Cons

Round after round of redundancies while they are battling to restructure and embed their new strategy. Current morale is very very low. EXTREME focus on billable utilisation hours with push for 110%+ utliisation (reflected in performance metrics). Experienced (and hence more expensive) consultants are the first to be made redundant leaving an inexperienced workforce. Pays well under market rates for specialised consultants.

Advice to Management

Enough redundancies! The depth of knowledge in the consulting business is being drained.

Treated as an expendable "resource" - no longer enjoyable to work here

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Name Recognition on CV is perhaps one of the few advantages for having worked at IBM
    Personal Network of Professionals

Cons

- Too many levels of management; slow to respond to customer requests for support, new deals
    - We've lost the plot in making our client #1; instead - we're more focused, too focused on shareholder earnings per share
    - Our Leadership has forgotten a basic tenet -- if we don't have satisfied clients; our EPS will soon follow (downward spiral)
    - Out of balance compensation adjustments- our CIO, Leadership should NOT be getting a bonus, salary increase - while telling the actual work force that we had a "bad year" - and thus, won't be able to reward/compensate you as much as we had hoped in 2014.

Advice to Management

Enable your front line team (PM's, Architects, BA's) - to make decisions quickly - for the client; rather than falling victim to Risk Management/QRM/SDM GPE enforced QA's, Pricing Checks

Shakeup/Challenge existing processes - driving for more efficiency and quicker, client focused results

Basically - "eat our own dog food" - and practice what we sell/deliver to our clients (an efficient, productive, solution);

If we can't manage ourselves efficiently (and fairly - to our fellow team members) - then I would have zero to little faith that you could deliver the results you've promised me as a client

5. Rather underwhelmed

Current Employee - IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Obviously it's a really well recognised brand, and if you make a good impression on people with the right people and/or end up in a good team, you can get involved in quite interesting work.

Cons

Despite all the HR rhetoric around "we do everything, so you can have multiple career paths within the same company" the reality is that business need is absolute number 1, above investing in their people, developing logical approaches to client relationships etc. There's a huge disconnect between the product recruiters sell you (6 month rotations in different areas, develop your skills, opportunity for exposure to strategy work, analytics) is extremely different from the reality (a lot of need for technical or administrative grads, account partners are only interested in the skills you have and will keep you in a role for 12 months+ to use them).

Resource management is so convoluted that in practice the only way to get on to projects is to know the right people, which results in a bit of a "boys club" atmosphere on some accounts.

And obviously lots and lots of systems that you have to go through for everything from reclaiming expenses to trying to be promoted, none of which seem to integrate at all.

Advice to Management

Either you are an IT company that invests in products, or a consulting company that invests in people. Right now you are doing neither well.

Showing 4 of 14,842 reviews