www.ibm.com

12,149 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,848 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1321 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 416 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 209 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good company to work for a Fortune 500 Company with great benefits, but could improve with compensation and bonuses.

Current Employee - UAT Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - UAT Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

4 weeks vacation (3 weeks plus 6 personal days)
    Depending upon the job, work-life balance can be good
    Opportunities to work from home are higher than other businesses

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive
    Bonus structure makes it difficult to get a significant bonus unless you are a top producer in your band/group
    Only get 6 holidays off each year (other 6 are given to you as personal days)

Improved training - need to centralize all training in one place, and the system should have the ability to automatically tally how many hours an employee has completed towards their 40 hrs/yr.

Great challenges, but mediocre pay

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful challenges and training to grow your career
    Positive management

Cons

Pay is mediocre - merit increases were put on hold this year because the company didn't hit it's target revenue

Pay your good to outstanding performers with at least fair merit increases and you'll see increased energy coming from them

Positive IBM experience

Former Employee - Transition Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Transition Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at IBM as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Professional co-workers. Colleagues were happy to provide assistance in getting up to speed on the contract and explain company process. Colleagues were there to provide support when and as needed. Process documentation was highly developed and maintained regularly.
    Reasonable compensation

Cons

Contract was cut short due to IBM financial situation. What was billed as a 4 + month contract was terminated after 5 weeks. Use of Lotus Notes and Lotus Symphony and Open Office suites causes some issues in sharing data with others, especially non-IBM personnel.

Not associated with company long enough to have formulated a clear picture of management effectiveness.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great amounts of resources to get the job done

Cons

Very short term expense focus can impact the big picture

Top talent retention and longer term revenue growth focus over near term EPS focus

Corporate Politics, but large network

Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like may large corporations IBM is no different it is very easy to either get lost in the crowd and be paid for the 40 hours you expect to commit, or you can work hard and quickly be recognized for your contributions. The time off is great overall, you essentially have 3 weeks of paid time off, and have the option to choose which holidays you take off.

Cons

First and foremost when being offered a salary consider the fact that at most you will receive on an annual basis a 4% increase, and that is if you are part of the top 1%-5% of employees. I suggest you ask for a salary you will be comfortable with for the next 3 years. It is also extremely political, and will overwork and undervalue their hardest working employees. I was essentially promised a role when I first moved into management, leading other departmental managers. However, I have been placed in the same role for nearly 2 years with the same responsibilities I was promised and then some. I not only have ~20 people reporting directly to me, but I also manage 2 other team leaders.

Layoffs happen, that's the nature of the business; however, be methodical about who is released, and not what their role is. I have seen a number of great employees leave, and a number of employees who will be with the company until they retire who should've been let go years ago.

Big blue moves slow.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IBM structure is as beautiful as it's propaganda.

Cons

Not so smart but sure is sneaky...collector of data. They say knowledge is power but maybe they should be saying collecting data is power.

None cause you know it all and won't listen anyway! Love the way you helped recategorize billions of homeowners money without their knowledge.

The worst contract job ever.

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at IBM as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

IBM has a very nice internal IT support line. If something goes wrong with your laptop, you can call someone in a foreign country and they will probably be able to figure out what's wrong with your system.

Cons

Working for IBM may be OK for regular full-time employees, but on a contract basis it was a nightmare. I've worked several contract jobs but IBM was hands-down the absolute worst because it was a three-tiered arrangement. I was contracted by an agency based in India, which provided employees to IBM, and IBM then provided a team of contractors to the end client company. This arrangement meant that I had two management chains: IBM and the end client. (Fortunately, the agency in India didn't pretend to manage their employees.) The direction I received from the on-site IBM manager directly contradicted the instructions from the end-client manager. Not surprisingly, the team had a very high level of attrition and the internal politics were worse than anything I've ever experienced in any professional environment. My strong recommendation is to avoid any contract position with IBM.

If you want to be in the business of providing contract services then you need to pay attention to the needs of your clients. The on-site IBM management seemed to think they knew what was best for their customers. The IBM managers just got in the way.

Need to remember the foundation of IBM and not focus so much on the stock price

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home, providing flexibility
    Salaries are competitive
    Good benefits

Cons

Raises are rare, and when they happen, it is negligible compared to cost of living
    EPS is more important than the employees. Disposal commodity.
    Hard to find jobs internally.

Be protective of your good people and stand up for your team. Remember the old IBM when employees were not just serial numbers

More emphasis on cutting costs than on producing great products and technology

Former Employee - Software Engineer Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great people, many teams are highly committed to customer success.

Cons

Constant cutting of benefits, corporate strategy to cut US jobs to fund expansion in China and India.

IBM was a better place to work 10 years ago than today. Few top SW engineers would want to work at IBM. Is this going in the direction you want?

Work experience at Seterus

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Portland, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be the Name.

Cons

Very poor communication. Little training given to new people. No much snergy between inter departments.

Have more communication between different level of people. Have a quaterly company status.
    Technical managers do some analysis of data and communicate