IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

355 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Big, big, big blue

IT Architect (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsIBM has a culture of honesty. It is common to find people that are very committed to the success of their projects. The benefits are top-notch. The company communicates in advance what it intends to do and follows those plans.

ConsNew growth is outside the US, where skills have been much weaker. Managers are given very little opportunity to reward employees or help them with advancement. Bureaucracy sucks the lifeblood out of eager employees. Departmental targets are set in such a way that even high revenue departments can miss targets and thereby not be allocated funds to reward staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the rewards and recognition program. Fund it better. Drive decision-making to lower levels. Focus on retention of top performers, even in the US.

Sick of the lying - employees are factory widgets to b e bullied and discarded at will

Line Manager (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGlobal culture, smart people , clients doing interesting things

ConsLying and spin everywhere lip service to ethics
    Bullying , slow advancement, 24/7 availability expected, hierarchical with slow processes
    Don't believe career promises

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the truth about the changes you are making and the push for more contract workers who are easier fire at will.

Yikes

Sales (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsA lot of opportunity within the company. Allowing you to move around over the years.

ConsTerrible communication and culture fueled my Sr. Management. Weekly focus on numbers causes a crazy number of sales cadence calls. A toxic attitude has become pervasive after years of lay offs with little to no communication. EPS goals for wall street are hurting moral and customer satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing week to week and work on strategy. Let 1st and 2nd line management manage the day to day. Stop the cursing. Somehow we need to adjust the style from one where screaming every week is accepted. Management through intimidation is out of control at all levels of the organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A last resort for job seekers -- you can do far better

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsWork-life balance, depending on position/location
    Opportunity for continuing education
    Brand recognition on resume, arguably less valuable than it used to be

ConsI have worked for IBM, as well as other small and large employers. I have always received good reviews, and I have had good relationships with my managers and colleagues at IBM. I mention that just because I don't want to give the impression that I am just a pissed off employee who got a bad review from a manager. Having said that, do NOT come to IBM circa 2014 unless it is your last resort. This is a horribly mismanaged company right now which does not care for its employees anymore. Hear me out:

IBM has been run for years now by self-serving executives that are hell bent on serving their own wallets and Wall St first and foremost, even at the cost of IBM business, talent retention, etc. IBM has sunk more than $100,000 PER EMPLOYEE into stock buybacks in the past few years alone while:
    Eliminating bonuses for most, including top performers (I have never had worse than the second best rating at IBM in six years, and their have been multiple years that I received no bonus, including this year)
    Minimizing salary increases for most, including top performers (Ex. a typical raise for me at IBM has been 1%/yr vs. about 8%/yr outside of IBM)
    Delaying 401(K) match contributions to a lump sum at the end of the year (This cost me $800 in compound interest last year alone, and will be many thousands of dollars in loss by the time I retire, ya know...to help IBM meet its numbers)
    Declining health and retirement benefits
    Declining patent rewards and other awards
    Awarding millions upon millions of zero-cost options to executives

Compensation aside, there are so many troubling things happening:
    Financial engineering to meet ridiculous commitments to investors
    No effort to retain top employee talent, which has been exiting in droves (in part, for much much better compensation or benefits)
    Almost no organic growth -- most growth now comes from acquisitions, which IBM uses up and mismanages until they are no longer needed or die on the vine (Check the financial reports if you aren't convinced)
    Massive outsourcing (if you are US-based) to lower cost, lower quality resources
    A management team with very little track record of engineering success, unlike other successful companies that I have worked for
    Outdated 1-5 grading scale for employees, with forced quota that unfairly ranks/reviews contributing team members -- incidentally, smarter companies have abandoned this style.
    Remarkably poor morale
    Layoffs that do not necessarily target the most underperforming employees (Ex. great contractors are often let go first)
    Arrogance from the top
    Little executive accountability and poor leadership
    Soooo much bureaucracy day to day at all levels

IBM is not the best place to work or the place that everybody wants to work. It used to be that way, but sadly I'd rather be an investor in IBM than an employee in IBM.

I would strongly recommend anybody considering working at IBM to do their homework on this company in advance. Check the employee comments and blogs, including IBM Alliance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIBM needs to be turned upside down by executives that can demonstrate some real selfless leadership. IBM's employees need to be put ahead of IBM's shareholders again. Quit the financial engineering and self serving BS, and get this iconic company back on track. Work to attract the best talent, and work to keep that talent. Promote that talent and hold it accountable. Great things can happen that way. I have seen it elsewhere -- and so have my colleagues fortunate enough to see this recent train wreck coming and leave for much greener pastures. I believe IBM can bounce back in the long run, but sadly I am not optimistic that this executive team can have any part in such a turnaround.

Not an employee friendly company

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsWorking at IBM has provided me the opportunity to work in team environments with individuals all across the world. IBM also (depending on your management) extends great flexibility as to your workplace--giving employees the opportunity to work from home as opposed to a traditional office environment.

ConsThe Company does not compensate its employees accordingly. One's starting salary is very competitive; however, after that, significant salary increases are few far in between. Performance bonuses are not substantial and only given to "top performers". The unfortunate part is, it is remotely impossible to achieve a "top performer" evaluation rating without completely selling your life out to the company. There is also the constant threat of your job being moved out of the US, leaving you seeking work elsewhere. As far as workload, on average, I work 10-12hr days every week, sometimes on Saturday, and still can never keep up with the demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe management needs to somehow refocus its attention on the talent it has at hand and providing incentives to cut costs through improving business processes as opposed to always cutting talent to cut cost. The loss of talent due to the transition of work to lower cost countries is going to be bring about the downfall of IBM very soon.

Good experience, uncertain company future

Client Representative (Former Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsGreat people to work with, strong product portfolio, good tools and infrastructure to support sales employees

ConsByzantine, layers upon layers, too slow, Execs are all IBM lifers (need more diversity there)

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some fresh blood, from smaller innovative companies

Great technologies, but now more focused on growing abroad

Senior Technical Staff Member (Former Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsPlethora of technologies to work on and good people.

ConsAlways looking to grow abroad and not locally.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidate the business. It has gotten too big.

Sinking ship

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsIBM has/had a lot of great people who have passion for their work. IBM is great at acquiring college talent via their Extreme Blue program but they cannot retain it. Very flexible with work location and hours.

ConsIBM's 2015 stock plan has resulted in cutting top technical talent. Executives are so focused on short-term earnings that they have sacrificed the future. Innovation has grinded to a halt and most divisions are struggling to find the next big product. Without a major change in leadership, the company is going to sink. Top performers (top ~10%) were not given a raise two years in a row, sending a very clear message that talent can go elsewhere.

Over the last five years, here are some of the "savings" that were enacted: taking away free coffee, the "adopt a plant" initiative and removal of individual trash cans to minimize housekeeping costs, elimination of employee services and education center. Worst of all, our 401k was changed to only vest in one lump sum at the end of the year instead of per paycheck. If you leave before December, you lose anything you would have received. They will slash anything or anyone regardless of the bigger picture. It is very difficult to move internally and the employee rating system is broken.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan the 2015 plan. Bring in a new CEO from the outside to clean house and focus on R&D again.

Historically strong company with pros and cons

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

Prosgreat reputation, work from home available, very diverse workforce.

Consconstant huge strategy shifts can impact productivity. more and more hours needed to get the job done

Advice to Senior Managementreduce churn to gain efficiencies

Thankful to be gone

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsSmart people, flexible work hours and good opportunities to work on a wide range of topics that create a remarkable breadth of knowledge for future employers.

ConsAbsolutely toxic work environment due to near constant threat of firings. Raises are non-existent even for top performers with very little information conveyed to employees as to why (aside from the generic "it was a tough year" even during times of record profits). Upper management is cold and impersonal towards employees with many layoffs resulting in rehire as contractors... only to be let go at next quarter's end.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves immediately. When a good portion of the engineering force has been turned over and you are still bleeding money I think it is obvious where the true problem lies.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Raleigh-Durham, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 355 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.