IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,807 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

14,597 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company. 1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. 2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business. 3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors. 2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary. From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower. 3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams. 4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Great place to work if you have the right manager

Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are boundless opportunities and it is one of few companies where the sky might be the limit. There is a real commitment to work life balance and the company provides opportunities for volunteering.

Cons

This is one place where one person holds their career in your hands. If the manager does not like you, your career is pretty much over. There is a constant fear of being RA'd (IBM's term for laid off). The relative contribution metric pretty much assures that you will in fact not share your accomplishments with the team. Instead of making the slice of cheese larger, an increasing amount of people compete for a smaller slice of cheese while the executive ranks get the big bonuses.

Advice to Management

They really need to do away from the relative contribution model. STOP bleeding mid career talent in favor of college kids! Today's millenials are taking jobs and training and then leaving in two years because they are not afforded any oppotunities. The middle management needs a vigorious shakedown.

3. Great benefits

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Westborough, MA

I worked at IBM

Pros

Great work/life balance. Work from home or work from anywhere

Cons

No tuition or educational assistance is provided

5. Not Bad

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM gives you a very good "name" and background to go vy

Cons

Practically an On Call job

Advice to Management

Consider people management not only in numbers but in happiness

6. IBM Solutions Architect

I worked at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent people, highly skilled and motivated. You'll find yourself challenged here and if you like constantly learning about new technology, this is a great place.

Cons

Management lacks flexibility and seldom has time to guide your career goals within the company. Also, focus is only on a quarterly basis.

Advice to Management

If you foster advancement within the ranks, you'll have more satisfied workforce and people motivated to make their career with IBM.

7. Interesting work - lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a lot of smart people, and kept abreast of new technology

Cons

Can't think of any - happiness at your job is what you make of it

Advice to Management

there's quite a hierarchy here..could probably do with less layers of management

8. Place to work

Current Employee - Industry Sales Leader in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Industry Sales Leader in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brand Image reputation; financial health, worldwide presence, Global technology outlook

Cons

processes too blinding, legacy management behavior, poor or absent space to growth, sometime too slow to react on change

9. Consulting by degree progam

I worked at IBM

Pros

Amazing training program, client facing experience within the first 2 weeks, great company to have on your resume, work with smart, talented people

Cons

doing advanced work and are being billed by the client so have to learn quickly

10. Account Executive

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Outstanding company. Great people. Excellent training. Rich history. Global brand with tons of product, and in the process of re-inventing itself (again) to capitalize on emerging trends toward cloud analytics mobile social and security (CAMMS).

Cons

Very large global company, with tons of different products/services. Changing strategy/direction always takes time, but it's even harder with a company this big/complex, especially when the world continues to evolve even as you make the changes... Management has it's hands full.

Advice to Management

You have the right plan, but try to go forward with everything you are doing even faster.

11. Positive diversely work environment.

Current Employee - Senior SAP FICO Consultant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Senior SAP FICO Consultant in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our CEO has an ambitious vision for this company. She is bringing a diverse corporate culture desperately needed into Louisiana.

Cons

You will not succeed unless you work for it! .. And I mean WORK!

Advice to Management

Hire more managers.

Showing 14,597 of 15,264 reviews