IBM

13,186 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,305 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience working with IBM

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Very good work and personal life balance.

Cons

Compensation is not up to the industry standards

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

OK but raises are few

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Work life balance, and the people

Cons

No raises or overtime, offshoring

Despite hiccups, I've found IBM MD to be a great place to work in. Too bad it is getting divested.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of creative freedom. Great work/life balance. Empowered engineering team. Lots of satisfaction of many products that are in production. Server group satisfaction high.

Cons

Old building, old practices, bad cafetaria, old phones/printers/projectors etc. . Poor bonuses, slightly bad salaries

Please dont scrimp on things like lunches for employees and $100 travel - you are not going to make shortfalls of billions by making the employees feel unwanted.

Services Consultant/Architect

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people, diversity and opportunities to learn new technologies, collaborate internationally and change roles.

Cons

Pressure to tow the line even it if is not in the best long term interest of company or client - lets just all get along, no risk taking or true innovative thinking. To many meetings for the sake of meeting.

Invest in executive or other leadership coaching. Also make it a point to get opinions from individuals who do more than parrot what they think you want to hear.

excellent

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at IBM

Pros

lots of users, high impact work, love my coworkers. It's a product that is changing the world.

Cons

Not an easy job, changes impact millions of users which can sometimes be very stressful.

I would recommend this company to a friend - I'm optimistic about the outlook.

Very relaxed atmosphere

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Casual office culture and relaxed work

Cons

disorganization of projects and sometimes management seems a little off

need to be more organized

Great people, inevitable corporate limitations

Former Intern - User Experience Design Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - User Experience Design Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

The people at IBM Design have amazing personalities and are just fun to be around. Everyone is like family, and they all enjoy being at work.

Cons

The fact that IBM is so big causes the company to have relatively slow processes and a way of doing things that, to me, limits innovation and creativity.

Excellent company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good work environment, good work life balance. Was able to join a lot of clubs.

Cons

Difficult to progress upwards, unless you are very very good at networking, which I was not.

Should give advice on career progression

Overall, great experience, but it's not for everyone.

Current Employee - Information Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Information Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great benefits, and company values are good and promoted in pockets.

Cons

Every group is a different culture. Some are great. Many are not.