IBM Reviews

11,556 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,550 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer  in  Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Great company

Current Employee - Market Segment Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Market Segment Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility and work/life balance are great. I work from home so save time commuting each day. Benefits and vacation are also good. 3-weeks of vacation as a newbie.

Cons

everything moves slowly, constant shifting of roles within company makes it difficult to keep things moving at times. Huge company so often inefficient.

Demanding and Rewarding

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager  in  Southbury, CT
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Southbury, CT

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Education opportunities and not just classroom.
    Makes good use of skills
    Challenging customer environment
    Good team environment

Cons

Long hours.
    Lack of unified mission across delivery centers.
    Process to excess.

Push decision making closer to the customer and don't expect perfection. If mistakes are made, don't take the decisions back to a higher level of management. This would improve customer satisfaction significantly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work hours. Appraised by results, not by how many hours worked. Excellent people - intelligent, well-motivated. Excellent opportunity for customer interaction.

Cons

Trying to do too much with too little. Understaffed. Often trying to catch up with technology.

Invest more in R&D. Do more to keep the top talent.

Big Blue is Hip and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In 14 years I have had the ability to design a new career twist every year. I keep on the cutting edge and have the opportunity to work in a socially collaborative global organization. I brought in big data and analytics skills, I got to apply them to small and very large scale projects. When digital came along I was an early adopter and evangelist. Every new turn brings something new and challenging. We are not the old Big Blue, we are enthusiastic about changing the world in new ways, and I have been delighted to be a part of it. Where else would I work in a culture like this!

Cons

They are constantly reducing the workforce in North America and outsourcing to China, India, Romania and Latin America. While this brings a global perspective it make you feel uneasy. Great people have left because of the behaviors of building a globalized workforce.

We know our values, we work collaboratively. In a company that is always changing and always growing, it would be nice to know when you are safe from being cut. Even high respect and expertise won't save you. Build methods of in person team building below the senior executive level, and this workforce can innovate!

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunity to work from home

Cons

No salary increases or bonuses

Need to understand the impact of layoff. A lot of knowledge leaves with the employee

Awsome experience as a Software Developer Intern

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern  in  Littleton, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here is because its IBM!!! I am working as a software developer intern and overall very satisfied with the company. IBM provides an extremely positive atmosphere to work. The team is extremely friendly and supportive. There are challenging tasks but people are very willing to help you always. There is lots to learn in IBMs ocean of knowledge and very great career opportunities within the organization.Its not only work but a lots of fun to work here. I am very proud to be a part of this 100 year old organization.

Cons

I did not face any challenges to work here.

Management is extremely friendly and supportive . Thanks IBM!

Excellent experience overall.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at IBM as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, training and exposure to technologies.

Cons

There are too many personnel changes.

great company

I have been working at IBM

Pros

innovative products, huge benefits, a lot of people

Cons

slow, promotion, leadership, environment,training

Great benefits, flexible work schedule

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The flexible work schedule and work-at-home options are great for work/life balance, and the benefits are great. Excellent opportunities for education and career growth. Working with people all over the world keeps things interesting.

Cons

Long hours, an almost 'on demand' availability are expected if you want to move up - you're never really off work.

Ultra competitive environment can make reviews seem very subjective - it doesn't seem to matter how stellar you are if someone else in your department is working on a higher profile project. Reviews and ratings should be based on the individual's performance.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!