IBM

12,317 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,922 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience and an old school tech company with some great growth prospects

I worked at IBM

Pros

Smart people who are willing to support you, great work life balance with the opportunity to work from multiple offices, cool projects that will hep drive company growth

Cons

The company is very very big so it seems daunting to make large scale change from the bottom of the pyramid.

Fail fast and learn.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

32 years at IBM

I worked at IBM (more than 10 years)

Pros

work life balance for me was great. OK management.

Cons

Low pay and benefits not as good as they were early on. Opportunity for advancement almost non-existent

A good company with great people

Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to have many careers within one company. Work with very smart and talented co-workers. Great history of contribution

Cons

Leadership forced to put too much focus on financial results from quarter to quarter. Excellent people are laid off when they could be redeployed within the company

Regain your respect for the individual

program manager

I worked at IBM (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team collaboration
    challenging projects
    results-oriented
    no micro management
    ability to explore other functions

Cons

minimal face time, flexibility with work hours comes with a price - while you don't have to worry about taking time during the typical 8-5 hours, you are also expected to make yourself available for Global colleagues, which can mean very early mornings and/or late night meetings.

Network Architect

Former Employee - Network Architect in Glenn Heights, TX
    Former Employee - Network Architect in Glenn Heights, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Contract transistion end on the two I particpated in.

Cons

None that I see, I see that I can come in an be asset right away based of job description

Work Life balance

Great place to work

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great growth opportunities, awesome benefits.

Cons

Sales cycle can be difficult to conquer.

In general this is a great company to work

Current Employee - Research Staff Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Staff Member in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment, very smart people around willing to help you, good management style at least in research

Cons

Sometimes too much focus in short term results....but depends on who is managing you

Services Delivery Manager

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

Upper, upper management has forgotten what made IBM great. Their greatest resource used to be the people. That is no longer true with the recent resource actions they use to meet the bottom line.

Recognize the employee like you use to in the 90's and early 2000's

Research staff member

Current Employee - RSM in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - RSM in Albany, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

good working environment
    excellent people to work with

Cons

No commnet/ do not have any

do not have any