IBM Reviews

13,486 Reviews
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,438 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Get to work with lots of good people

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities at IBM to research and use the latest technologies. The people are also talented and hard working. I got to work with people all over the globe - Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Czech Republic, and India - and got to learn a bit about their cultures.

Cons

While 40 hours of education are required each year most departments have no education budget so you're forced to take whatever free courses IBM offers. Even if a department did have an education budget it was usually only enough money to allow 1 person to go to class.

Allow each department to have sufficient money to send each department member to class. While the free courses are helpful, they do not go into depth like week-long courses do.

3. Great opportunity. Exposure to executives. Team that supports me.

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities. Great mentoring opportunities. Excellent support system.

Cons

No bonus, no overtime compensation

5. Software Sales

I have been working at IBM

Pros

You get to work with very smart, capable people and they invest in training. The income potential is outstanding.

Cons

Terrible CRM. IBM's only response to problems seems to be laying off people.

6. Sr. SAP HCM Consultany

Former Employee - Senior SAP HCM Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior SAP HCM Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM

Pros

Great work/life balance, great work culture

Cons

No bonus for the last 3 years

Too much other things consultants have to do. e.g .Expenses are a headache.

7. Project Manager

Former Employee - Change Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Change Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at IBM

Pros

Great pay and benefits. The company is generally very stable.

Cons

Big, slow, beuracratic. Get ready for the grind, as it takes many layers to make basic decisions.

Get lean! I think this company could be extremely profitable if it got rid of the bloat. Like most beuracracies, the company limps along because it is hampered by middle managers who are more concerned about their own status than the viability of the organization.

8. Great company to work

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Company Values, leadershiep, personal growth,

Cons

compensation and promotions are subjects that depend of your direct manager

9. Great company

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great company to work for. So much opportunities for growth and learning. The pay is really good for a fresh graduate. I love the fact that i have a great work/life balance

Cons

IBM is going through transition an is having to lay off "old" workers

10. I miss it every day

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, work from home, talented and welcoming team, very organized for the scale of projects I was working on, amazing pay.

Cons

HR can be a bit of pain.

Keep up the good work.

11. Administrative Assist

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Work with great people and able to work at home. Great benefits.

Cons

Not as employee minded as the old days.

Too much micro managing.