IBM Reviews

11,702 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,617 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1283 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1264 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 401 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 205 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High Tech, Good Benefits, People

Cons

Mainframe Oriented, Conservative, Traditional, Big

NA

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer  in  Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Big Blue is Hip and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In 14 years I have had the ability to design a new career twist every year. I keep on the cutting edge and have the opportunity to work in a socially collaborative global organization. I brought in big data and analytics skills, I got to apply them to small and very large scale projects. When digital came along I was an early adopter and evangelist. Every new turn brings something new and challenging. We are not the old Big Blue, we are enthusiastic about changing the world in new ways, and I have been delighted to be a part of it. Where else would I work in a culture like this!

Cons

They are constantly reducing the workforce in North America and outsourcing to China, India, Romania and Latin America. While this brings a global perspective it make you feel uneasy. Great people have left because of the behaviors of building a globalized workforce.

We know our values, we work collaboratively. In a company that is always changing and always growing, it would be nice to know when you are safe from being cut. Even high respect and expertise won't save you. Build methods of in person team building below the senior executive level, and this workforce can innovate!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heading in the wrong direction

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Somers, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Somers, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance. Peers are professional and good to work with.

Cons

Too driven on quarter goals and making cuts to achieve them in light of long term strategy.

Think longer term strategies.

Time for a change

I worked at IBM

Pros

Great benefits, Sparta executive leadership

Cons

Culture is fading, senior leadership not in touch with employees, many top employees being taken by competitors

Focus on top talent

Great company that's working through transition

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Exciting growth strategy around cloud, analytics, mobile, social and security solutions. There are a lot of highly skilled and intelligent people working here.

Cons

Limited pay raises, difficult to move up vertically in some positions

Clearly communicate future opportunities for career growth to employees.

Walked away with tremendous exposure and opportunity but with a new found understanding for politics and bad management

Former Employee - Watson Sales and Strategy  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Watson Sales and Strategy in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Watson has phenomenal technology that inspires with a brilliant team you work with everyday. Market demand pushes opportunities into the door more than the company can handle which is a good problem to have.

Cons

Bureaucratic and Political. Too few leaders and too many authoritative managers that cannot lead. Culture is trying to change and be more like Google and Apple but slow to move ahead.

Focus on client relationships, team relationships, and building an environment where public and corporate pressures on numbers do not negatively impact the dynamics.

I loved the culture, but the work was not always challenging or rewarding.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers, low stress, variety of opportunities

Cons

Determining future projects for self

Awesome work - dull office - long commute

Former Employee - Strategy Consultant  in  Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Strategy Consultant in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed work environment, impacting projects

Cons

Extremely long commute from Manhattan

Great work / life balance company but first line management needs help

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Management open to work with schedules to accommodate work/ life balance. Good horizontal opportunities ( learn something new). Great benefits including health and dental, 401K available

Cons

Horrible opportunities to move up in management. First line managers have their hands tied while higher ups make decisions. Red tape everywhere as with any big company.

Look within the company to fill positions especially when looking to cut costs.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!