IBM Reviews

11,597 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,567 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer  in  Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work hours. Appraised by results, not by how many hours worked. Excellent people - intelligent, well-motivated. Excellent opportunity for customer interaction.

Cons

Trying to do too much with too little. Understaffed. Often trying to catch up with technology.

Invest more in R&D. Do more to keep the top talent.

Big Blue is Hip and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In 14 years I have had the ability to design a new career twist every year. I keep on the cutting edge and have the opportunity to work in a socially collaborative global organization. I brought in big data and analytics skills, I got to apply them to small and very large scale projects. When digital came along I was an early adopter and evangelist. Every new turn brings something new and challenging. We are not the old Big Blue, we are enthusiastic about changing the world in new ways, and I have been delighted to be a part of it. Where else would I work in a culture like this!

Cons

They are constantly reducing the workforce in North America and outsourcing to China, India, Romania and Latin America. While this brings a global perspective it make you feel uneasy. Great people have left because of the behaviors of building a globalized workforce.

We know our values, we work collaboratively. In a company that is always changing and always growing, it would be nice to know when you are safe from being cut. Even high respect and expertise won't save you. Build methods of in person team building below the senior executive level, and this workforce can innovate!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Demanding and Rewarding

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager  in  Southbury, CT
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Southbury, CT

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Education opportunities and not just classroom.
    Makes good use of skills
    Challenging customer environment
    Good team environment

Cons

Long hours.
    Lack of unified mission across delivery centers.
    Process to excess.

Push decision making closer to the customer and don't expect perfection. If mistakes are made, don't take the decisions back to a higher level of management. This would improve customer satisfaction significantly.

Great company to work for

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Good Management. Intelligent and friendly coworkers

Cons

Nothing that jumps out right now

None

Great job environment - only drawback is uncertain future of semiconductor division

Current Employee - Unit Process Development Engineer  in  East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Unit Process Development Engineer in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dynamic work environment, complex problem solving required, great deal of independence in workload, great team to work with, excellent work-life balance

Cons

The biggest issue with working here is the uncertain future for the semiconductor operations - sometimes its hard to focus on day-to-day details when a large uncertainty is looming over everything

Project Manager of CEBU Customer Business Education Union

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Professional Team Image, Great Training Workshops,

Cons

Cant think of any, had a great work experience while under the employ of IBM

None at this time

Tough but rewarding environment

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work life balance options, good compensation, very good benefits package, very collegiate atmosphere, strong ethical policy which is reinforced annually, great technology leadership, senior management is constantly pushing the organization to innovate and change.

Cons

Large matrix of an organization can be hard to navigate until one is accustomed to it.

Great environment but don't expect to make money commensurate with what your position would pull elsewhere.

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator  in  Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Invest in employees and benefits are nice. Paid vacation is solid and unlimited paid sick days.

Cons

While your skills will grow your career will stagnate. Over time they try to extract just enough of each employee to keep them right at the edge of breaking.

I really feel anything written here is irrelevant to IBM upper management. The apparent value they give to the employee is a facade. The goal is profit and it's okay to forget that actual human beings work for you. Mind slaves with no union.

Great company but a slow moving ship

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative, Business Analytics  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative, Business Analytics in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Competitive pay
    -Steady earnings
    -Good/loyal client base

Cons

-Hard to get promoted
    -Get lost in the shuffle
    -Change is ALWAYS

Stop being such micromanagers to the inside sales teams

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!