IBM

12,149 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,848 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1321 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 416 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 209 reviews)

More Highlights

My overall experience at IBM was good.

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Multi National Company, Offers AC Cab Pick and Drop Facility, Has a Good Cafeteria, Proper Infrastructure, Employees are paid overtime, if they are made to work Overtime, Easy Inbound Process, Offers Good Incentives.

Cons

Takes a Long time to travel as it is situated far away. Does not gets the Leaves Easily. Managers and Bosses are very Strict.Long working durations and hours, No time left for Personal Work, No personal time left. Cut off socially. Work Pressure.

Please take off the loads of work from your Employees Shoulders and reduce the call flow.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

32 years at IBM

I worked at IBM (more than 10 years)

Pros

work life balance for me was great. OK management.

Cons

Low pay and benefits not as good as they were early on. Opportunity for advancement almost non-existent

If you want to learn, travel the world and get paid to do it, start your career at IBM.

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Over the past 3 years I've had 3 different jobs at IBM. Each with it's own unique challenges and opportunities. The best part about the experience- the people. IBM attracts some of the smartest people on earth and it's a great privileged to work with and learn from them. Second best part is the work life balance. I work from home, as such I have a lot of flexibility to get out for a walk at lunch time or run an errand in the afternoon without it impacting my day negatively.

Cons

Management is hit and miss. We have some amazing managers who execute flawlessly, but at the expense of their employees. Employees get frustrated and either put up with managers who degrade, insult, and overall infuriate them or they leave. A 360 review process that enables employees to review managers would solve this. Some people just weren't meant to manage people- and that's okay, let's just move them into roles where they can continue impacting the business positively and give there people to better managers.

It's time to "Restlessly Reinvent" of our compensation structure.Why is it that I do the same job as my colleagues and return equal or better outcomes and yet am compensated so much lower (20-30% as per Glassdoor) just because I've been here 2 years instead of 10+. Stop compensating people for the "length of time" they've been at the company. I take on projects that go above and beyond and deliver and yet still am not being fairly compensated. Compensation should be normalized for performance / outcomes, not for time you survive the company. Just my .02. If you're a manager it should be tied to both a review by your manager and by your employees. As another reviewer said, let's trim some of the dead wood and elevate those who both perform and manage their people well.

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Global Hedging Program Manager in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Global Hedging Program Manager in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers and compensation, great working culture

Cons

Not in New York City

Keep up the good work! I sincerely believe our strategy will come to fruition.

Industry powerhouse with innovation at its core

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technology, Management Chain, Training, Job Structures, Peers, Directors, Products, Opportunities, Work Locations, Offices, Work Flow, Organizational Structure, Career Paths, Leader

Cons

work-life balance, pace of management transitions, understanding of business on the front lines by management, lack of office space for all employees instead of required work from home

Senior it specialist

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Learning opportunities ; company values ; work-life balance

Cons

Slow grow on the professional positions

My experience has been great

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Met the CEO, we do have a vision and a purpose here
    Base pay is amazing

Cons

I wish I could work mobile more

IBM review

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

big corporation, opportunities for growth, technical and managerial, flixibility

Cons

Company does not have competitive salaries. and it was affected by strong layoffs

Broad Portfolio, exposure to diverse technologies

I worked at IBM

Pros

IBM has a very broad portfolio so there are opportunities to learn/sell/develop different products and services working at IBM. You need to be proactive in building a network beyond the specific product or client area you are in to find opportunities across the company.

Cons

Very structured, process driven environment. Matrix organization where lots of people can say no and few can say yes to new ideas or approaches.