IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,800 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

14,549 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company. 1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. 2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business. 3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors. 2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary. From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower. 3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams. 4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Great place to work if you have the right manager

Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are boundless opportunities and it is one of few companies where the sky might be the limit. There is a real commitment to work life balance and the company provides opportunities for volunteering.

Cons

This is one place where one person holds their career in your hands. If the manager does not like you, your career is pretty much over. There is a constant fear of being RA'd (IBM's term for laid off). The relative contribution metric pretty much assures that you will in fact not share your accomplishments with the team. Instead of making the slice of cheese larger, an increasing amount of people compete for a smaller slice of cheese while the executive ranks get the big bonuses.

Advice to Management

They really need to do away from the relative contribution model. STOP bleeding mid career talent in favor of college kids! Today's millenials are taking jobs and training and then leaving in two years because they are not afforded any oppotunities. The middle management needs a vigorious shakedown.

3. Consulting by degree progam

I worked at IBM

Pros

Amazing training program, client facing experience within the first 2 weeks, great company to have on your resume, work with smart, talented people

Cons

doing advanced work and are being billed by the client so have to learn quickly

5. Good mgmt

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Flexible, good pay, managers, fun assignments

Cons

Travel, training, networking, late hours

6. Great company to work for

I have been working at IBM

Pros

good 401k, healthcare plan smart, hardworking colleague interesting projects

Cons

poor salary raise small to zero bonuses

7. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay; Hours flexibility; immediate Supervisor

Cons

A Silo'd environment, did not get to collaborate as much as possible with the full project team.

assistant manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Norwalk, CT

I worked at IBM

Pros

excellent culture and benefits; interesting work.

Cons

Anything would be nitpicking. Maybe a little less in meetings, but I'm scrounging here for something bad to say.

Advice to Management

Elite management -- some managers are better than others, but all were the best I've experienced.

9. Federal Sales Specialist, Cloud

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Excellent support, great team flexible workplace

Cons

big company sometimes difficult to navigate

Advice to Management

focus on change that improves client outcomes

10. Operations Manager for LA

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Good trainings. Nice atmosphere and great teamwork.

Cons

Too much process, which delays the operations.

Advice to Management

None.

11. Good but can be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance and exposure to wide range of technology. There are a lot of smart individuals and subject matter experts are readily available to learn from. Great company to begin growing your career and technical expertise.

Cons

YMMV, experience varies from team to team. There is a lot of discontent towards top management due to cost cutting. Must be able to stay up to date with the latest tech or your job security won't be great.

Advice to Management

Focus on human capital

Showing 14,549 of 15,264 reviews