IBM

12,787 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,119 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

IBM Review

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great perks, great people at IBM
    They treat their interns very nicely and are very approachable and relational

Cons

Culture could be a little more exciting, not too many young people working at IBM
    Projects were not too exciting, but you must realize the scope of the work that they do

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

STG Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM has great technology that is interesting to with and develop. The work is challenging and makes good use of people's skills.

Cons

There is not always enough people to get job done. Development is some hampered by a lack of resource. Negative moral with the treat of resource actions.

Concentrate on making the best product that best meets the need of the customer rather which lines of business to sell and how much of the workforce to layoff.

Solid career choice

Current Employee - Communications in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Communications in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The talent and diversity are unmatched. Education opportunities abound through MOOCs and traditional settings. Numerous career advancement opportunities.

Cons

Stress to perform. Pay could be better.

Keep up the good work. Stay the course to shift to higher value.

Great Environment

I worked at IBM

Pros

smart people, gym, great work-life balance, very flexible hours, free 4pm popcorn and coffee

Cons

no free food, and food in cafe not good either, had to drive down the hill to grab some decent lunch

none

A good run, but.....

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent compensation, innovation-focused

Cons

Uncertain vision for the future, lack of mentoring opportunities, lack of face-to-face opportunities with peers

Sr. Storage Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The backing of a world class company, opportunity to work anywhere in the world, Great 401k plan

Cons

1st line managers restricted in ability to give personnel ratings that they deserve (Upper Management dictates the number of above avg ratings allowed), Bonuses are dictated by how the company performed, not for individual or Business Unit performed, required to pay for all home office supplies and communication from personal finances

Start rewarding the people who do the work and sacrifice time away from their families, you will find we will work even harder if we feel apprecaiated

IBM is a great employer. They have solid management, great products.

Current Employee - Business Analytics Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Business Analytics Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leading technology. Solid management, large effective business partner program, great benefits, positive culture

Cons

Too many management layers, average comp plans, too big to move quick enough in today's fast moving business environment

Overall great experience

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Pretty relaxed atmosphere.
    - Coworkers are willing to help each other learn.
    - Flextime is great.
    - Salary is good.

Cons

- Review process is vague and based on perception more than it should.
    - Many old timers that need to learn new ways. Including how to interact with people.
    - Processes are behind the times.

Ensure that managers are involved in their subordinates work plan so they know and understand the impact of their work.

Company review

I have been working at IBM

Pros

big, diverse, excellent people, innovating,changing

Cons

changing, too big at times,