IBM Reviews

11,915 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,727 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1308 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1281 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 414 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 208 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to start off my career

Former Employee - GBS Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - GBS Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by smart people who were also fresh out of college. Great Team Blue training program to get us to be connected across various departments.

Cons

Most people left before 3 years was up. Due to slow career advancements opportunities. We end up doing local projects or serving only local customer accounts which defeats the purpose of working in a large MNC like IBM.

Fresh graduates with lots of energy would be most keen to try new things to keep them interested to work harder.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work for IBM are the flexibility and ability to move around within the company. Most reps that you work with are great to team with and more often than not, management is pretty generous with allowing you to be flexible with your time.

Cons

Pay is barely average for the industry. Sr Management is still under the impression that being IBM is worth more than it really is. It takes a lot more than having the name to get in the door to our customers. The company has become too maniacally focused on metrics, and very un-meaningful metrics, rather than results. You can hit your quota and still get hammered for several menial tasks that have nothing to do with doing your job well. Sometimes being a large company can mean things take 3 times as long as they should.

There needs to be a path for employees who came in at a low salary to get a bump up to their market value without leaving the company and coming back. It is widely known that the best way to get a raise is to go work somewhere else for a year then come back and make what you are worth. Typically the person they hire to backfill you will end up making more than you requested to begin with.

I loved the opportunity to drive my work and career in almost any direction I desired.

Former Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Glendale, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

From a technical point of view, your learning opportunities are unbounded. Through training and job experience, even an "off" day can provide a chance to learn. With solutions focus, working on one product area will almost certainly lead to learning about some other area. People are great! People are helpful and have a willingness to mentor, or be mentored.

Cons

With mobile offices, you may be separated physically from a team, so be ready to use tools to feel connected. Still a huge bureaucracy, so getting through or following processes can be frustrating. The elephant is still learning how to dance. No longer is being good at your job a guarantee you will be able to keep that job.

It is very frustrating to see resource actions, followed relatively soon by hiring. Try to be more aware of moral in the field.

IBM Extreme Blue is Top Notch

Current Employee - Extreme Blue Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Extreme Blue Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Present to the CEO
    - Submit Patents
    - High Pay
    - Housing was covered 100%
    - Full-time benefits (e.g. Airfare discounts and car rental discounts)
    - Austin, TX is nice

Cons

- Texas is hot I guess
    - People bash on building 45, and they're right, it is a bit ugly
    - The play feels empty
    - Workers are honest about IBM almost even to a fault (I kind of like this though)

- Work on getting more people to come on campus to work--too many people working from home, makes the place feel empty. Although ~7,000 people work at IBM Austin, it only ever feels like 2,000 of them are on campus.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, ethics, employee benefits, worklife balance and career growth

Cons

Pay, organization structure, and lack of fostering new ideas and innovation

Allow employees to take on risk, foster more entrepreneurial work environment

direction and strategy

I have been working at IBM (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unbelievable focus on the individual

Cons

ability to consistently execute year as new competitors define the landscape

look for real leaders and less on who knows who

IBM has been a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My manager is very flexible, it seems like most managers will allow you to work from home at least a portion of the week. Many resources are available too, being such a big and established firm.

Cons

Having so many employees can make you feel unimportant. You have such a small hand dealt to you in regards to the grand scheme of things. Can sometimes make your work feel unimportant.

Thought I was an expert until I worked with a smarter workforce

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

IBM challenges me every day to be a problem solver. Really enjoy working with my team and love my boss!

Cons

A lot of folks want their problems solves immediately. Sometimes those answers don't happen in a nanosecond. Meeting their expectations could be challenging at times.

Great place to work for hard driving individuals

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are very educated, motivated and great to work with

Cons

There is no local community, as most people work from their homes in assignments that are not local.

no advice to offer