IBM Reviews

13,572 Reviews
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,463 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

2. Enjoyed working with IBM

Former Employee - Oracle Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Oracle Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to work with, decent pay, significant opportunity to grow

Cons

Too much of internal documentation and processes which required to do outside of regular work

listen to the employees

3. Casual, comfortable, and sometimes a feeling of unimportance.

Current Employee - Patent Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Patent Engineer in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great hours. Generally good-natured co-workers and on-site managers. Very flexible in every sense. Low-key. Patient. Educational. Looks good on your resume. Benefits.

Cons

Beyond the on-site management is a nebulous blob. Feedback rarely incorporated. Computers, furniture very low-end and generally decades past expiration date. Pay. Location. Morale. Turnover. Titles are a total mess. No pay for "fringe" costs, like training, attorney dues, etc. Raises come very slow.

Ultimately, it feels like we are not valued as 1. pay is low, 2. furniture is worn-out, 3. computers are basic, 4. titles are arbitrary and often derisive.

5. March goes on!

Former Employee - Contract Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Contract Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Interesting, top Professionals in the field, encourages education,

Cons

Sending jobs to other Countries.

Your support for US Companies and business needs to be in the US.

6. good company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boise, ID

I worked at IBM

Pros

work life balance is best. Never found any company that provides work life balance better than this.

Cons

salary paid is less. As per to the talent they acquire salary is always not justified.

they should evaluate their salary structure as per the talent

7. Great place

I have been working at IBM

Pros

good culture and nice people

Cons

payment is a little bit low

8. Best company to work in IT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Best company to work IN IT

Cons

No probs WITH THE COMPANY

9. Big Blue is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM really has what they are doing "down pat". For a big company I was always impressed by how smoothly their internal systems worked and that they really tried to help employees when they needed it.

Cons

In order to advance in the company managers have to work in all different parts of the business so they can understand them. This means you will get short-term managers popping in on a regular basis who don't understand the part of the business YOU are in so they can learn. Some of these are good, some not so good.

Consider a model where someone can advance without having to "travel the globe", not everyone wants to be stuck at a low level if they don't want to move to different areas.

10. Lots of mobility between business units and ability to change careers

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, values and colleagues

Cons

Ability to be promoted or have clear career path set forth

Do not abandon mid career employees - they are very valuable to driving transformation.

11. Long time employee

Former Employee - Software Pricing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Pricing in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always given challenging positions and provided resources and education enabling success.

Cons

Difficult task to keep the multi-cross levels of execs focused on external clients rather than internal measurements.