IBM

3.5 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,353 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

10,000 Employee Reviews

A workplace where u can balance your personal and professional life.

ProsA workplace where u can balance your personal and professional life, and also a healthy work culture. Good place to learn the processes.

ConsEmployees Hierarchy is very lengthy.

Very good 14 years then forced into downward spiral

Technical Team Lead (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGood benefits, good time off and work life balancing. Decent salaries but they will plateau. Non management personnel have some exceptional people to work with.

ConsHit a glass ceiling, difficult management for technical people to work with. Work continually increasing and fewer people to handle it. Constant push to do more than be excellent at the job you are assigned. Enough is never enough. Lack of education and new opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome to understand the technical resources needed for major initiatives. The employees are dedicated to doing their best but they are not magicians.

Decisions made are driven strictly by financial goals

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIBM has some of the most intelligent and creative people of any company.

ConsEmployees are viewed as liabilities rather than assets.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not perfect, but a great place to work with some really talented people.

Software Sales Representative (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI've been at IBM for 14 years. For the most part, it has been a great place to work. We have market leading products in almost every segment we compete in. There are a lot of great people at IBM. I've had many bosses over the years, and the vast majority have been good people to work for.

ConsOur products are generally among the highest priced in the industry so we are often beaten by lower cost competitors. We are a technically focused company rather than a marketing focus, so sometimes our product is the superior product technically, but we lose because we don't market well. As a salesman, I often struggle to boil down our value prop to a digestible story that customers understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore formalized and regular employee feedback. The annual review process is perfunctory at best.

It Depends on Where You Are And What You Do...

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat benefits package and comparable salaries
    Ability to work from home is widely accepted
    Can really grow your career and expertise if you so desire
    Most colleagues are nice, professional and in the same boat as you.

ConsYearly layoffs drastically impact moral and ability to get work accomplished.
    Internally-facing organizations move very slowly and it's frustrating.
    Externally-facing organizations often move too quickly and rush to failure.
    As much as they cut the dead weight, there are still middle-managers who are apathetic and just filling a seat.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange to annual review procedures to better determine who should stay and who should get cut when layoffs come.
    Provide employees with incentives to do more and do better, and not just assume that they'll do it because their colleagues were let go and now they have to do it.

engineer

Advisory Engineer (Current Employee) Essex, VT

Prosa lot of talented people. flexiable schedule

Consnot efficient, too many meetins

Advice to Senior Managementless meetings

Interesting telecommuting job.

Consultant (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsDiverse work environment.
    Lots of interesting opportunities.
    Flexible work schedule.
    Strong team environment.

ConsSalary was not expected based on contract rate and standard work hours.
    Department was reorganized multiple times.
    Work from home, live at the office leads to long shifts and night work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get rid of your best and most experienced people just because the client is being wishy washy.

Roll with the changes

ProsWork/life balance is good. Very smart people. Want to do BIG things to impact society.

ConsToo many cooks in the kitchen sometimes. Not nimble enough. Compensation is so so.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nimble and move fast.

"Uniquely capable of solving some of world's, customer's, enterprise's biggest problems"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIBM still has global-scale, uniquely deep, broad, powerful technology solutions to sell, capable of solving some world's biggest business problems. As of March 2014, no other IT company that I'm aware of has the combination of right-on multi-year depth of vision (built by IBM Research), breadth of portfolio (software, services, Softlayer cloud delivery model), and senior management willingness to pivot to "IBM-as-a-Service" cloud delivery business model, while quickly leaving behind IBM businesses that aren't going to perform with high margins as the world + technology changes. There are very very bright people that are working very hard to pull this off.

ConsThe trick is to find, understand, get in tune with, imbed oneself in the right projects with the right people, that are in the forefront of where IBM is headed. That can't be done by oneself - you have to know (or be taught be those who do know) where to look. IBM is a huge machine, without this insight / help from IBMers who know, it's easy for one to become lost as just one cog in huge wheel. IBM doesn't often / always move quickly enough in all areas.... but if you're in the right place / technology / team, IBM's huge resources / global scale / market presence can make up for it.

Excellent Working conditions

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsFriendly, good working conditions, good pay, interesting projects

ConsProjects not long enough, work not challenging enough, did not utilize my full skill set

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!