IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
5,010 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

15,196 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company. 1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. 2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business. 3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors. 2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary. From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower. 3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams. 4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Lots of opportunity but you'll really have to work for it.

Current Employee - Partner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Partner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, well known brand, deep pockets, complex projects and good learning experience. Global reach means lots of opportunity if you're willing to travel. Reinventing itself in some really leading edge technologies such as AI, cognitive computing, cloud, deep analytics. Few constraints on work location or work style. Very wide array of jobs, can reinvent yourself and have many careers within the same company. Competitive salaries.

Cons

Complex and difficult to navigate Recently seen as "old tech", not a glamour brand Wall Street hates IBM and IBM tries to manage to Wall Streets needs over its customers and employees Leads to regular "Resource Actions" and divestitures which can be unsettling. People disappear overnight! Flexible working means constant working. Very easy to be sucked into an unhealthy dork life balance.

Advice to Management

Need to live your stated core values. People are seen as a commodity to be bought and sold. Your current lack of growth is totally down to your complete lack of focus on your clients needs and the capabilities of your people. Letting finance run the company will result in disaster. Financial engineering instead of real engineering and a shrinking top line.

IBM is a solid company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Very disciplined. Focus on innovation. Respect for individual. Ability to move to different roles while maintaining network.

Cons

Lack of vision. Focused more on cost cutting than business improvement.

5. employee friendly

Pros

Employee friendly. passionate teams, high impact work

Cons

Challenging to navigate a large organization

6. Life in Southern California

Current Employee - Medical Director
    Current Employee - Medical Director

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great office space, patients are among the nicest people, opportunity to make a major contribution.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Staff Engineer

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Great pay. Senior engineers ready to help. Mentoring programs available. Great place to gain experience with cross-functional teams.

Cons

In my time at IBM, I did not find any Cons. I regret leaving IBM. Cannot wait to get back into the company.

Advice to Management

None.

8. Strong leadership, Career opportunities, Flexibility

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at IBM for many years, with very intelligent, forward-thinking leaders. Pros include: Strong leadership; clear direction; career growth / opportunities, and work-life flexibility options (work at home; part-time schedule, leave of absence, etc).

Cons

Depending on the position at IBM, it can be challenging to truly find work-life balance, due to the size and global nature of the business. Also, as a mobile employee there were not many networking events in my area (that I was aware of) that could bring mobile employees in similar functions together.

Advice to Management

With more employees going mobile / working from home, consider organizing area meetups / networking events for employees in similar functions (software engineering, marketing, etc) to increase collaboration and sharing of best practices locally.

9. Opportunity

Former Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Cleveland, OH

Pros

A lot of opportunities / other positions available with the company.

Cons

A very large company that can be difficult to navigate through.

10. Great Co.!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great relationship with colleagues

Cons

Full-time position was not available at time of end of supplemental employment

11. Junior Data Analyst

Former Employee - Junior Data Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Junior Data Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for IBM, one is its background history, 2nd it innovation in Technology, 3rd, the people team work, 4th, there flexibility of timing and workplace, and 5th, their contribution to the society is highly important. Any body work at IBM consider themselves lucky to be there.

Cons

I did not have the opportunity to stay

Advice to Management

Keep moving team work forward

Showing 15,196 of 15,963 reviews