IBM

13,245 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,332 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

It was an enriching experience

Current Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Working hours
    Flexible leave system

Cons

Low Salary with contract based

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Despite hiccups, I've found IBM MD to be a great place to work in. Too bad it is getting divested.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of creative freedom. Great work/life balance. Empowered engineering team. Lots of satisfaction of many products that are in production. Server group satisfaction high.

Cons

Old building, old practices, bad cafetaria, old phones/printers/projectors etc. . Poor bonuses, slightly bad salaries

Please dont scrimp on things like lunches for employees and $100 travel - you are not going to make shortfalls of billions by making the employees feel unwanted.

OK but raises are few

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Work life balance, and the people

Cons

No raises or overtime, offshoring

Managing Consultant

I worked at IBM

Pros

There are Lot of opportunities within the company

Cons

he company is too big and often managed by process.

build leadership at the lower level as well

The Best Place I've Worked

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Unbelievable accomplishments, history, and incredible vision for the future. Their is a reason Buffet had IBM as the 3rd most invested company by Berkshire :Hathaway. They have gone through 3/4 transitions and each time come out on top. The CEOs vision is

Cons

There are no cons. This company is legendary in the computer industry.

More bonuses and incentives

Pleasant

I have been working at IBM

Pros

good environtment, friendly people, great teams

Cons

no cons really necessary

Depends on where you are in the company

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At IBM it very much depends on where you are in the company. The life of someone in Research is very different from Software Group or Global Business Services. If you're working in a hot area like IBM Cloud or IBM Watson Group, it's a terrific place to work, filled with some of the brightest and hardest working people in the world. As an added bonus, IBM is really good about work life balance and being flexible when life happens.

Cons

There's a relentless drive toward shareholder value that is hurting the morale of the company as it leads to short horizon decision making. In many areas of the company morale is very low because the employees are working in an area that is no longer the high margin areas that IBM gravitates toward. But where it's good, it's good.

There is a profound lack of transparency across the company. Particularly around things like resource actions (layoffs). These are often not communicated with employees, so when a pundit comes out and says "IBM is going to lay off 100k people" we have no way to combat that. In a world of social media your employees can be your best weapon against some of this, but we constantly feel as though there is no communication to those of us manning the decks of the company.

Good entry level experience

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM has a relaxed Culture, Helpful coworkers, good way to gain experience for your resume,

Cons

pay, lack of career development, the city is a bit boring, somewhat of a negative outlook around the office, work is a bit boring

They should create a better career path, allow for more decision making, increase pay, keep the culture relazed

Very relaxed atmosphere

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Casual office culture and relaxed work

Cons

disorganization of projects and sometimes management seems a little off

need to be more organized