IBM

12,670 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,065 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

Big company with all the opportunities you could imagine, even some that you couldn't

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good sharp people around you to share intelligent conversations with. Good set-in-stone processes so it is quite easy to learn the ropes, especially as there are teamrooms to capture most processes. Of course you feel like you are working for a prestigious company and know that it will look great on your CV. Hot desking keeps your weeks versatile.

Cons

Surely should be offering free food, no? Lotus Notes is a dinosaur, the whole word is moving to Outlook. Very talented people given simple jobs, which are bound to bore them.

Cut the blatant favoritism. this is work not school.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

STG Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, MN

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM has great technology that is interesting to with and develop. The work is challenging and makes good use of people's skills.

Cons

There is not always enough people to get job done. Development is some hampered by a lack of resource. Negative moral with the treat of resource actions.

Concentrate on making the best product that best meets the need of the customer rather which lines of business to sell and how much of the workforce to layoff.

Better Than Expected

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Level of professionalism is exceedingly high. Coming from a variety of startup environments, this is hugely refreshing to me. Great focus on doing things the right way. Working hours are very flexable, all related policies treat employees as competent adults, and the employees, by and large, act as such. (To dispute another review: The coffee is, in fact, free of charge everywhere I've seen.)

Cons

Corporate politics are subdued, but definitely present. This is exasperated a bit by the ongoing transition into more 'XaaS' services, and away from the businesses that made IBM a leader at the turn of the century.

Solid company, good experience overall

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM

Pros

Smart people
    great compensation (including an annual bonus)
    Good benefits
    Had several engagements with "name brand" clients

Cons

A little too political (at least within IBM Global Services)

WebSphere Software Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My boss and there person I was assigned to pushed me to my limit to learn new technologies and programming methods. They gave me enough flexibility to let me work the way I preferred, but made sure I got a ton of work done within the deadline.

Cons

Like every large, old company (I reckon), there was a level of bureaucracy I had to work through, but nothing horrible.

Entrepreneurial, innovative environment that fosters technology leadership

Current Employee - Senior Strategy Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Strategy Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

non-hierarchical and value innovations, new ideas and proactiveness / initiatives
    lots of opportunities for both business and technical-oriented career paths

Cons

large co. - sometimes hard to navigate to find the right person with the right expertise
    diversity of caliber

redivert efforts and investment from financial and workforce engineering to technology developments
    chart the long-term future of IBM, not just quarter by quarter

Working at IBM

Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I would recommend IBM to anyone looking for large fast-paced environment where you can be surrounded by smart, dedicated individuals from every corner of the world.

Cons

The global nature of the workforce means conference calls early in the morning and very late at night. You will feel like you work all of the time.

Increase the number of people eligible for Top Performer status.

Software Engineer

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Flexibility, Creative indipendence, 401k match

Cons

Beaurocracy,
    Personal growth,
    Speed to develop and adapt new products

Believe

Account Executive

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Endless career opportunities within the organization. Lot's of experienced IBM colleagues to draw on. Great variety of sales people.

Cons

Huge company and sometimes it takes a while to get things done. Too many times there are too many layers of management approval to weed thru in order to get to a decision. Sometimes customers get frustrated with our process.