IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,966 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

15,089 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company. 1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. 2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business. 3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors. 2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary. From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower. 3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams. 4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Lots of opportunity but you'll really have to work for it.

Current Employee - Partner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Partner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, well known brand, deep pockets, complex projects and good learning experience. Global reach means lots of opportunity if you're willing to travel. Reinventing itself in some really leading edge technologies such as AI, cognitive computing, cloud, deep analytics. Few constraints on work location or work style. Very wide array of jobs, can reinvent yourself and have many careers within the same company. Competitive salaries.

Cons

Complex and difficult to navigate Recently seen as "old tech", not a glamour brand Wall Street hates IBM and IBM tries to manage to Wall Streets needs over its customers and employees Leads to regular "Resource Actions" and divestitures which can be unsettling. People disappear overnight! Flexible working means constant working. Very easy to be sucked into an unhealthy dork life balance.

Advice to Management

Need to live your stated core values. People are seen as a commodity to be bought and sold. Your current lack of growth is totally down to your complete lack of focus on your clients needs and the capabilities of your people. Letting finance run the company will result in disaster. Financial engineering instead of real engineering and a shrinking top line.

Staff Engineer

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Great pay. Senior engineers ready to help. Mentoring programs available. Great place to gain experience with cross-functional teams.

Cons

In my time at IBM, I did not find any Cons. I regret leaving IBM. Cannot wait to get back into the company.

Advice to Management

None.

5. over all outlook good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, team is knowledgeable to work with

Cons

Salaries are less to the people who come from India on h1b

6. Good satisfaction

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Littleton, MA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good health care, best 401k benefits, other corporate discounts. Highly recognized brand, big products, flexible work hours

Cons

Work and life balance, more work, mechanical life, less salary and bonus than other companies

Advice to Management

Can plan better on work and life management and increase profit sharing and bonus

7. IBM is good place

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home ,flexible time ,

Cons

Unplanned time off in lieu, especially end of the year , as a contractor you lose money , everything is IBM , so chance to learn new things not that great , some account managers are great and others very careless. if you want to be a full time the salary very low comparing with what you make as contractor.

8. Vareity of Jobs

Pros

Variety of jobs. Above average initial salary.

Cons

Small raises. Moving many jobs outside of US.

9. 5 Years at IBM Marketing

Former Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY
    Former Employee - NY - New York in New York, NY

Pros

Great People. Good training. Great access to market research.

Cons

Too matrixed. Slow moving. Hard to grow in your career.

10. Architect

Former Employee - Senior IT Architect in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Senior IT Architect in Columbia, SC

Pros

Pay, people, benefits, advancement and work/life

Cons

Globalization, management is mostly by numbers as with most large companies now

11. Finance Planner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really good benefits, very flexible work arrangements (able to work remotely from home office), talented co-workers, well run company

Cons

the company became too beholden to its silly 'roadmap' it gave to Wall Street and started to become very short-sighted, cut almost all perks to everyone but the sales dept

Advice to Management

invest in keeping your people happy, don't eliminate employee appreciation programs just to try to make your artificial wall street # for the quarter

Showing 15,089 of 15,846 reviews