IBM Reviews

12,049 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,507 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging environment

Former Employee - Technical Specialist
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist

I worked at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are given full control on your task. managers believe the strength of the employee

Cons

People unmarried could better shine in the company

Please employee's do have personal life

Used to be great company to work for

Former Employee - IT Specialist
    Former Employee - IT Specialist

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, benefits, culture, opportunity for growth

Cons

All the pros have changed to cons, mass lay-offs of long term regular employees. Movement toward contractor only enviroment

Stop managing to each quarter, think long term and remember employees are stock holders too.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer  in  Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Current Employee - Market Segment Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Market Segment Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility and work/life balance are great. I work from home so save time commuting each day. Benefits and vacation are also good. 3-weeks of vacation as a newbie.

Cons

everything moves slowly, constant shifting of roles within company makes it difficult to keep things moving at times. Huge company so often inefficient.

Great Employees!

Current Employee - Event Coordinator  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM for more than 3 years

Pros

IBM's old values still exist even though things are changing day to day. I am proud to be apart of this company and I happy I had the opportunity to work here.

Cons

I am not sure of any cons, with IBM I am working behind the scenes. I am sure there are some but I am not aware of any.

Solid. Not exciting, but solid.

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Decent benefits, especially for new hires. Your fellow employees are all very bright. Your day to day really depends on work area -- there are so many things the company does, in so any places, that it can be a bit of a craps shoot as far as how good your immediate management is, how flexible your schedule is, etc.

Cons

More difficult to move around especially considering the company's size. Pay is good but depends on your location and most likely will not be at the top end of the scale in your locale.

Staff software engineer

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, excellent management, nice co workers

Cons

no visa sponsorship and career prospects

NA

Technical Lead for more than 8 years

Former Employee - Technical Lead  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stimulating work environment. Strong work culture. Great people to work with. Remuneration in line with the job responsibilities. Doing a great job on foresting innovation.

Cons

Although they're trying to reduce the red tape, there're plenty of bureaucratic hurdles. Career advancements it's a battle of the "fittest", not the brightest. Overtime not being paid, seen as normal.

Reinvent your Future.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reason to work for IBM is flexibility. Ample vacation time allotted, and the culture is performance driven; as long as the deliverables are met, you can do all the other things you do in life. Also working at IBM you're surrounded by awesome people. Education and skill development is encouraged and required.

Cons

When there's an important or time sensitive deadline you end up working a lot of hours. Also, its difficult to meet the deliverables of clients when "costs" are too high and heads are getting cut.
    Its an unending cycle of knee jerk reactions.

If you make people feel valued, you'll get a lot more good work from them. Stop looking for ways to stuff your own pockets and start actually valuing the people. Happy people work happy, give me a window or I want to work from home.

What you do has enormous effect on business and society

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Cloud Engineering  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Cloud Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leverage huge technical IBM community, create for impacts and bring changes.

Cons

mediocrity, limited personal growth, perks

Just speed of execution will not make us successful, profit sharing with employee and their investment in the company will make IBM successful

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!