IBM Reviews

13,902 Reviews
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,538 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

2. Senior Business Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at IBM part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM has excellent employee benefits in terms of health care and other services. They have so many different areas that there are many avenues for training and career growth.

Cons

As such a large company, IBM can be hard to navigate. If you don't find a powerful mentor in the business you can get lost.

Advice to Management

Provide better mentorship capabilities. Develop the drive for excellence more in your employees, rather than just doing "a good job". Look into niche markets as well.

3. Great

Current Employee - IBM Software Sales Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - IBM Software Sales Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is great. Company provides a lot of benefits. Great training and incentives. First job out of college and it couldn't be better.

Cons

Big company. It takes a lot to navigate the company and sometimes it is hard to get the right information to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

5. Technical Support

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to start a career.

Cons

Move on after five years and do not look to retire from here.

6. Great Experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

Learned a lot and worked with a team of other interns. Very open, challenging but fun environment. I really enjoyed my summer here.

Cons

Some parts were a little more corporate. There was a lot of paperwork.

7. Interesting job with smart people in a transformative industry that touchs everything

Current Employee - Government Relations
    Current Employee - Government Relations

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Smart people driving transformation; good character values and ethics; large complex technology for big problems

Cons

bureaucracy, flat salaries, excessive multitasking

Advice to Management

Reduce layers of approvals and improve internal HR, travel, and expense tools.

8. Team Lead

I worked at IBM

Pros

Good and flexible company to work with.

Cons

Salary is little less with the expectation

Senior Managing Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to self-learn

Cons

Most of the GBS partners only concerned with meeting their own profitability; would not even hesitate to throw their moms under the bus and you are just a number.
    Many partners lack the basic ethics (even though HR blares out on ethics year after year)

Advice to Management

Take out the deadweights based on merit and performance; do not keep rewarding your cronies and surrounding yourself with mediocre performers

Love my job, love IBM, losing faith in the leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good co-workers, instant company name recognition

Cons

Company is constantly downsizing, and in our area, the pay is pretty low

Advice to Management

Don't let your best people go; it costs more to train new than to retrain your old people.

11. Application Developer

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work at. Flexible work culture. Will be the right place if you get the the right project.

Cons

Lately there has been a change of policy in employee retention. Looks like the company is trying out a complete make over. But still a good company to work with if you are offered a good compensation