IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
5,011 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

15,125 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company. 1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. 2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business. 3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors. 2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary. From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower. 3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams. 4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Lots of opportunity but you'll really have to work for it.

Current Employee - Partner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Partner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, well known brand, deep pockets, complex projects and good learning experience. Global reach means lots of opportunity if you're willing to travel. Reinventing itself in some really leading edge technologies such as AI, cognitive computing, cloud, deep analytics. Few constraints on work location or work style. Very wide array of jobs, can reinvent yourself and have many careers within the same company. Competitive salaries.

Cons

Complex and difficult to navigate Recently seen as "old tech", not a glamour brand Wall Street hates IBM and IBM tries to manage to Wall Streets needs over its customers and employees Leads to regular "Resource Actions" and divestitures which can be unsettling. People disappear overnight! Flexible working means constant working. Very easy to be sucked into an unhealthy dork life balance.

Advice to Management

Need to live your stated core values. People are seen as a commodity to be bought and sold. Your current lack of growth is totally down to your complete lack of focus on your clients needs and the capabilities of your people. Letting finance run the company will result in disaster. Financial engineering instead of real engineering and a shrinking top line.

3. GBS Public Sector Intern

Pros

The internship allowed me to gain knowledge in increasing my networking skills and the ability to help navigate me in the right direction career wise

Cons

Getting through the initial intern phase

5. IBM- a great place to succeed.

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Reasonable pay, good progression and excellent work environment. If you are willing to travel, learn on the job and put in the extra hours then this is the place for you.

Cons

Ibm is a consultancy firm that will sell your skills to the highest bidder without consideration of your location and home commitments. This provides a wealth of opportunities but if you are in a family first stage of your life, then this will cause conflict.

6. IBM

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous opportunities for learning, growth and advancement. Opportunity to

Cons

Fairly rigid company - lots of bureaucracy.

7. Lively, diverse work

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Austin, TX

Pros

IBM is so big that the opportunities are very diverse. The company is transitioning into a new cool place to work. You can feel it in the air.

Cons

I have no real complaints yet. I work under IBM Design as a developer, so I'm constantly covered by designers. Not a complaint, but not a 'dev shop' like some might prefer.

Advice to Management

Good work. The change is felt. Don't bait and switch back into old man ibm and you will kindle something really special.

8. Recruiter II

Current Employee - Recruiter II in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter II in Frisco, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant Learning and reinventing

Cons

1 person in a very large company

9. Intern

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work, lots of learning opportunities

Cons

No negative experience for my internship

Staff Engineer

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Great pay. Senior engineers ready to help. Mentoring programs available. Great place to gain experience with cross-functional teams.

Cons

In my time at IBM, I did not find any Cons. I regret leaving IBM. Cannot wait to get back into the company.

Advice to Management

None.

11. Recruiter

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great work/life balance, opportunity to move around to other areas for growth, opportunity for ongoing training, good people to work with.

Cons

Can take time to get changes/new ideas through the process but this is true of all large corporations.

Advice to Management

More open door policy, leadership including CEO be more aware of what the employees are thinking and their challenges. A company is only as good as it's employees.

Showing 15,125 of 15,885 reviews