IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,625 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

14,138 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Great place to work if you have the right manager

Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are boundless opportunities and it is one of few companies where the sky might be the limit.
    There is a real commitment to work life balance and the company provides opportunities for volunteering.

Cons

This is one place where one person holds their career in your hands. If the manager does not like you, your career is pretty much over.
    There is a constant fear of being RA'd (IBM's term for laid off).
    The relative contribution metric pretty much assures that you will in fact not share your accomplishments with the team. Instead of making the slice of cheese larger, an increasing amount of people compete for a smaller slice of cheese while the executive ranks get the big bonuses.

Advice to Management

They really need to do away from the relative contribution model.
    STOP bleeding mid career talent in favor of college kids!
    Today's millenials are taking jobs and training and then leaving in two years because they are not afforded any oppotunities. The middle management needs a vigorious shakedown.

BIg Dinosaur

Current Employee - Portfolio Marketing Manager in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Portfolio Marketing Manager in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Learning, Many Resources, Sophisticated Process, Smart People

Cons

Declining Business Revenue, Tighter Management, Collapsing Moral, Restructuring

Advice to Management

Many people has to quit due to keep EPS. They were good people, and mgmt will meet they lost great resources.

In my experience...

Former Employee - Channel Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Channel Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked remote though easy to build long term relationships with my core teams. Benefits at that time were tremendous.
    i enjoyed my career and education with ibm

Cons

Antiquated processes for a high tech company

Great place to work

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great environment to work. There are constant challenges coming forth that give you the opportunity to demonstrate your skills and abilities.

Cons

Very limited room to grow. Evaluation method is archaic and does not really represent what you have done.

Advice to Management

You should allow young people the opportunity to show their potential, even if you have "seasoned" personnel that is "next in line".

7. Intern

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Helpful Team Members
    Great Experience & Pay
    Your time is what you set it to

Cons

Honestly there is not really any cons from my point of view

Advice to Management

N/A

8. Review

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Employees are friendly and quickly accepting of new hires
    Great pay and benefits for interns
    Future employment opportunities
    Numerous intern events
    Working on a product that affects nearly all transactions daily

Cons

Currently, there are no obvious cons to working here

Associate Partner

Current Employee - Associate Partner in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Partner in Denver, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, however not in tune with current reality. Senior mgmt knows nothing about its products, and is only numbers focused.

Cons

No training in any capacity

Advice to Management

Be sensible

10. IBM Summer Internship

Current Employee - Software Engineer Internship in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Internship in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The employees at IBM are very passionate about the projects they are working on. The projects are often on the front-line of innovation and exciting. With great people, good benefits, exciting projects, and a dedication to learn more and more each day, the internships here are remarkable.

Cons

There is a huge learning curve when you first start, where you'll have to be able to quickly adapt and learn new languages, platforms, extensions, tools, etc. in order to continuously be efficient with your time. Although the above wasn't really much of a con, just a good challenge/motivator, the floors here in Austin need to be renovated a little bit... Its kind of like being in the twilight zone with all the hallways and enclosed rooms.

Advice to Management

Invest in expanding the collaboration rooms. If the management plans on implementing the spotify engineering culture, the employees are going to need a different work environment. Also, invest in better break rooms. All I could ask for is to at least add a sink to the break room.

11. Software Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

*Great people. It's a very flat power structure so everyone is willing to talk and help you, no matter who they are.
    *encourages creative thinking through their work and extra-curricular activities
    *Competitive compensation

Cons

*work can get a monotonous at times in the software group

Showing 14,138 of 14,817 reviews