IBM Reviews

13,813 Reviews
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,533 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Love my job, love IBM, losing faith in the leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good co-workers, instant company name recognition

Cons

Company is constantly downsizing, and in our area, the pay is pretty low

Advice to Management

Don't let your best people go; it costs more to train new than to retrain your old people.

3. Great Place!

Former Employee - Programmar-analyst in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Programmar-analyst in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome bosses and great perks.

Cons

Too far from big cities

Advice to Management

Open an office in NYC

5. Great benefits

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great pay and great benefits

Cons

too large with 440k employees. Hard to get anything done

6. Senior Application Developer

I worked at IBM

Pros

Good work culture. work-life blance. good projects

Cons

Not much opportunity to change line of interest

7. Application Consultant

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Good Work-Life Balance and best company to grow.

Cons

Need to improve the process.

8. Project Management

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great job diversity and many formal education opportunities. There are many ways to progress to professional development and achieve your career goals.

Cons

All of the problems associated with big companies, you can get lose in the many business process. There are mandatory business requirements that can consume allot of you time and energy in addition to your job duties.

Advice to Management

If you are good at managing your own career you can find success with IBM. Almost anything done in the technical information/data ecosystem is available at IBM.

9. Partner

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Outstanding people and resources globally

Cons

Good talent can be lost in the matrix

Advice to Management

Focus on the individual's results.

10. as with other IT jobs at times it can be very busy, but lots of support from other technicians

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

lots of support from other technicians located in your area and even other technicians from outside your area

Cons

documentation process for work completed seemed very long and tedious

11. Sales Operations Manager

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

lack of talent in key jobs

Advice to Management

care about people more.