IBM

12,176 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,861 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1321 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 416 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 209 reviews)

More Highlights

A workplace where everything depends on how you good you can market yourselves.

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Littleton, MA
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Lot of opportunities inside the organization to grow and look for opportunities that might be of your interest. Diverse work culture and a lot of focus on patenting ideas.

Cons

You are a drop in an ocean. To get visibility from senior or middle management, you have to market yourselves. More than the work you do, you may be appreciated for the initiatives you take and how good you can communicate and convince others.

Take a look your workhorses. There might be real innovators who are working head down and not asking anything. Management should put real effort to recognize people who loves to work, rather than talk.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

32 years at IBM

I worked at IBM (more than 10 years)

Pros

work life balance for me was great. OK management.

Cons

Low pay and benefits not as good as they were early on. Opportunity for advancement almost non-existent

If you want to learn, travel the world and get paid to do it, start your career at IBM.

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Over the past 3 years I've had 3 different jobs at IBM. Each with it's own unique challenges and opportunities. The best part about the experience- the people. IBM attracts some of the smartest people on earth and it's a great privileged to work with and learn from them. Second best part is the work life balance. I work from home, as such I have a lot of flexibility to get out for a walk at lunch time or run an errand in the afternoon without it impacting my day negatively.

Cons

Management is hit and miss. We have some amazing managers who execute flawlessly, but at the expense of their employees. Employees get frustrated and either put up with managers who degrade, insult, and overall infuriate them or they leave. A 360 review process that enables employees to review managers would solve this. Some people just weren't meant to manage people- and that's okay, let's just move them into roles where they can continue impacting the business positively and give there people to better managers.

It's time to "Restlessly Reinvent" of our compensation structure.Why is it that I do the same job as my colleagues and return equal or better outcomes and yet am compensated so much lower (20-30% as per Glassdoor) just because I've been here 2 years instead of 10+. Stop compensating people for the "length of time" they've been at the company. I take on projects that go above and beyond and deliver and yet still am not being fairly compensated. Compensation should be normalized for performance / outcomes, not for time you survive the company. Just my .02. If you're a manager it should be tied to both a review by your manager and by your employees. As another reviewer said, let's trim some of the dead wood and elevate those who both perform and manage their people well.

Summer Intern

I worked at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had a wonderful Experience during my internship

Cons

Housing was an issue and transportation to the offices

Big Blue and lots of Red Tape!

Former Employee - Global Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Global Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM does allow many people to work from home and this cuts down on the stress of traffic and enhances time with your family. Additionally, your peers are some of the most highly respected professionals in their area and it is easy to learn from them. IBM is a big brand name and that power opens doors into B2B clients and business partners.

Cons

Higher management acts as if there hair is on fire and that you need to put it out! There is actually screaming in some business meetings as we are trying gain a common road. Decisions that are made at one meeting are undone at the next and you never know what decision to follow - makes it hard to "get it right".

Great Experience at IBM

Current Employee - Build/Release Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Build/Release Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always great about work-life balance; Education oriented; Many opportunities for moves

Cons

Minimal salary increase, minimal promotions

okay

I have been working at IBM

Pros

okay jan happy great easy

Cons

none na what okay okay

isk

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Global Hedging Program Manager in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Global Hedging Program Manager in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent co-workers and compensation, great working culture

Cons

Not in New York City

Keep up the good work! I sincerely believe our strategy will come to fruition.

Industry powerhouse with innovation at its core

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technology, Management Chain, Training, Job Structures, Peers, Directors, Products, Opportunities, Work Locations, Offices, Work Flow, Organizational Structure, Career Paths, Leader

Cons

work-life balance, pace of management transitions, understanding of business on the front lines by management, lack of office space for all employees instead of required work from home