IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,804 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

14,643 Employee Reviews

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company. 1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office. 2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business. 3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors. 2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary. From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower. 3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams. 4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

2. Great place to work if you are in a right team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

There are many programs that motivate IBMers to work harder like BlueThanks

Cons

There are so many redundancy and also the pay is not that good in compare to other companies.

Advice to Management

Give the employees the chance to participate in decision making process

3. Sr Consultant.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

US Citizen, holds Clearance. Consulting for last 14 year in SAP public as well as private sector.

Cons

Never give up in finding the solution given the difficult situation,

Advice to Management

Strives to exceed the expectation, develop new skill set by learning tools online.

5. Managing Consultant

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

GBS - Excellent Brand Recognition, lot of smart people on team. Commitment to Delivery of successful projects. Leverages relationship with software group when it comes to IBM products.

Cons

Have to work on projects in other verticals some times, due to billing and utilization requirements, some times the sales cycle is long.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but invest more in people training, and further solidify the working relationship between SWG & GBS

6. HR intern

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

corroborative, social network and media platform

Cons

bureaucracy, long term projects, limited opportunities for international applicants

7. Consultant implementing PeopleSoft HRMS

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When the PwC Business Consultancy merged with IBM, we thought the merger would be a great transition for us with new opportunities to explore - and it was.

Cons

Prior to the merger, Performance Management was linked to financial bonuses. After the merger, Performance Management was delinked from financial bonuses and great performance was no longer rewarded. Many left.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes.

8. Market Segment Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large, matrixed organizaion allows for freedom of decision.

Cons

Many decision makers, large complex matrix

Advice to Management

let lower levels make ore decisions. do not micro manage

Great place to work if you have the right manager

Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Service Planner in Boston, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are boundless opportunities and it is one of few companies where the sky might be the limit. There is a real commitment to work life balance and the company provides opportunities for volunteering.

Cons

This is one place where one person holds their career in your hands. If the manager does not like you, your career is pretty much over. There is a constant fear of being RA'd (IBM's term for laid off). The relative contribution metric pretty much assures that you will in fact not share your accomplishments with the team. Instead of making the slice of cheese larger, an increasing amount of people compete for a smaller slice of cheese while the executive ranks get the big bonuses.

Advice to Management

They really need to do away from the relative contribution model. STOP bleeding mid career talent in favor of college kids! Today's millenials are taking jobs and training and then leaving in two years because they are not afforded any oppotunities. The middle management needs a vigorious shakedown.

10. Client Rep

I worked at IBM

Pros

Opportunity for advancement and great training. Work life balance

Cons

company in the process of reinventing itself

11. Good for most

Current Employee - Performance Test Lead in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Performance Test Lead in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, great benefits, good opportunities to learn new things and grow

Cons

Bureaucratic environment, not much leeway on vacation times, hard to get promoted unless you're in sales

Showing 14,643 of 15,360 reviews