IBM Reviews

11,991 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,773 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1321 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 416 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 209 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Very laid back culture, people are down to earth. Very flexible work force. Management usually is very supportive except in crunch time. You get a lot of recognition for being an IBMer

Cons

During crunch time they take it to an unbelievable extent. Management is terrible at listening to employees. The communication channels break down rapidly in some key areas within the organization. Instead of making progress, we regress backwards.

Upper management need to make a 1-on-1 effort to reach out to the down below folks. There is a lot of penalty in open doors so folks are afraid to raise any concerns.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work for IBM are the flexibility and ability to move around within the company. Most reps that you work with are great to team with and more often than not, management is pretty generous with allowing you to be flexible with your time.

Cons

Pay is barely average for the industry. Sr Management is still under the impression that being IBM is worth more than it really is. It takes a lot more than having the name to get in the door to our customers. The company has become too maniacally focused on metrics, and very un-meaningful metrics, rather than results. You can hit your quota and still get hammered for several menial tasks that have nothing to do with doing your job well. Sometimes being a large company can mean things take 3 times as long as they should.

There needs to be a path for employees who came in at a low salary to get a bump up to their market value without leaving the company and coming back. It is widely known that the best way to get a raise is to go work somewhere else for a year then come back and make what you are worth. Typically the person they hire to backfill you will end up making more than you requested to begin with.

cognos royalty analyst

Current Employee - Cognos Royalty Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cognos Royalty Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture is the best. Most time you work from home. No one bothers you and the only thing that is asked of you is to do your job.

Cons

Heavy workload. Sometimes the managers ask unrealistic things of you in the aspects of meeting deadlines that are given at the last minute.

Allow more lead time on projects so they will not have to be pushed back projects.

a 6-year journey

I have been working at IBM

Pros

overall is satisfied. working with lots of intelligent people

Cons

climbing the ladders in management is not easy

Excellent experience

Current Employee - Acquisition in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Acquisition in Orlando, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large co big name great health benefits

Cons

Too many weekend & past 5 hours workedNone

Great

Senior Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and access to expertize

Cons

Compensation, Not a lot of other employers in the area.

General review

Current Employee - BPM Consultant
    Current Employee - BPM Consultant

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Good career opportunities, compensation, benefits

Cons

Work life balance should be better

Great minds, innovative solutions, research is king - clients are the winners

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ideas to solutions; research and Watson operate like a high profile and well funded startup; alliances and acquisitions are continuing to transform IBM from HW provider to thought leader and problem solver

Cons

GBS (services) has the talent, but some GBS leadership have their heads in the sand. Many arrogant partners who don't get pink slips that APs and worker bees get when the numbers are not where they need to be.
    IBM's benefits package is exceptional for the long timers; still pretty good and broad for the newer hires.

GBS needs a person by person review at the higher levels. Many are on their high horse, looking down on the day to day sellers. Need to figure out the B&P model to enable new and needed solutions (especially with new alliances and offerings - Apple+IBM will be huge when GBS can prioritize on the small time investment.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Web Designer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at IBM part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many intelligent employees with amazing skills in the art of computer programming and web design.

Cons

Lots of miscommunication between client and IBM team