IBM

12,359 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,939 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

IBM is a global player in the IT.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Huge network. There's always someone that can help and support. IBM always reinvents itself. Has a lot of good products and technology.

Cons

A lot of overhead. Salary is lower than compared to competitors. Many tedious internal tasks are purely to satisfy "the system".

Foster and promote top talents (talents that are consistently over-contributing, not just once due to a lucky year). Pay them more money. Not just a 1-2% "market-based adjustment". Don't make band levels be dependent on job tenure.

Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

A good company with great people

Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to have many careers within one company. Work with very smart and talented co-workers. Great history of contribution

Cons

Leadership forced to put too much focus on financial results from quarter to quarter. Excellent people are laid off when they could be redeployed within the company

Regain your respect for the individual

program manager

I worked at IBM (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team collaboration
    challenging projects
    results-oriented
    no micro management
    ability to explore other functions

Cons

minimal face time, flexibility with work hours comes with a price - while you don't have to worry about taking time during the typical 8-5 hours, you are also expected to make yourself available for Global colleagues, which can mean very early mornings and/or late night meetings.

Great Employer

Former Employee - Filed Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Filed Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at IBM

Pros

Freedom to build and be on creative teams

Cons

Very bog company and can get lost in the numbers

Listen to the people below

Real job with a real company

Former Employee - Call Closer and Inventory Scapegoat in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Call Closer and Inventory Scapegoat in Seattle, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company actually invested in their employees: provided tools, decent laptop and phone, and sent away for actual dedicated training in a classroom setting (not just DVD or online material to be accessed during slow periods or free time).

Cons

No real way to work/get out from under bad/poor manager or their decisions; inevitably suffer the demise of unfortunate assignment.

None. Poor/bad management that presented unfair work environment and provided unjustified and wrong assessment of work ethic resulting in "black list" - karma will come in due time.

IBMers mostly work together well but put in an extraordinary amount of time which limits the work/life balance

Current Employee - Program Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Program Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are generally fantastic. Many folks are very talented and will work incredibly long hours to deliver what is asked of them.

Cons

Unfortunately, IBMers are spread so thin that although they may know what they would like to do, many IBMers don't feel like they can spend the time to complete their deliverables and help everyone else.

Great place to work

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great growth opportunities, awesome benefits.

Cons

Sales cycle can be difficult to conquer.

Consultant

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Nice relaxed environment
    Less work load

Cons

Not much high tech.
    May get boring after sometime

Good company, great people

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Talented people working along your side.

Cons

Work / Life balance can be challenging at times.