IBM

3.2 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,355 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
10,000 Employee Reviews

Company lacks of old (1979-1994)

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany has contributed to the strength of our great country.

ConsCompensation is consistently below market. Annual increases and bonuses are often VERY small. Management values incompetence and hires on a smile. Alignment of overall vision seems to be difficult. Opportunity for growth are few. Great and talented people tend move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the company of old your customer will value you through committed partnership

Used to be a great company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsYou get to work with some very smart and dedicated people

ConsThis company has lost any respect for the people it employs. The company constantly takes away from the employees in search of achieving its stated 2015 target for EPS. In 2013 there were no raises given and in 2014 they did away with any bonuses to the employees that typically work 60 - 80 hours per week. They will lay anybody off no no matter what their performance might be to save money. The morale in this company is very low and everybody is just collecting a paycheck until they get laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to TJ Watson's vision of what is important in IBM. Take care of your customers. Become innovative again by developing something in-house instead of constantly through acquisitions. Reward your employees and provide some stability in the workplace. Get rid of unneeded processes and time wasters.

Lost the direction

Advisory Software Engineer (Current Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsCompany is big, working hour is flexiblie as a developer.

ConsMost of the management doesn't care about its employees.
    Spending cut for more than 10 years, lay off round after round, rumors all over.
    High level management lost directions, reply on buying other tech companies for growth.
    Almost 0 salary increase and bouns, benefits was cut year after year...

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement shoud spend more time help employee grow in their career path, understand employee's concerns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsVery good company to work for.

ConsNo cons I care to list.

Advice to Senior Management.

really bad

Prosflexible timing the pros start and end here

Consyuu name it you got it

Advice to Senior Managementplease give people the roles you promise them during the interview

Not the kind of IBM I know

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Good name to your resume
    - Pays 75% of your Masteral degree (one of the benefits)
    - Work-from-home (Depending to your manager. If your manager is the type who plays according to the book and will do anything for him/her to get a high (PBC) rating, good luck on having this. Luckily for me, my manager sees that giving us 1 work-from-home per week makes us more productive.

ConsWhere should I start...
    - Too many kiss-a$$ employees. Maybe this is how they play the game.
    - The yearly performance rating is not available to all. There is only a number of people who could get the good points. They don't even consider how complicated or difficult ones job over the other.
    - So many unnecessary projects. To get a higher rating (or the biggest salary increase the next year), employees are required to finish a project. If your project is not favored more by the bosses, you get nothing.
    - Work-life balance is more like work-life integration. I see a lot of people staying and working for 15 hours. No overtime pay.
    - Leave management. I'm not sure about other companies but here, you should forecast your leaves ONE YEAR ahead. I think this is a kind of discrimination against spontaneous people.
    - Lower than other companies salary/compensation

Not a good place for smart and hard working people

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- many different job opportunities because of the size of the company (if your manager lets you leave the team)

Cons- shameless self-promoters who take credit for others work make it the farthest
    - hard, quality work is not rewarded
    - pay is awful unless you come in from an acquisition. Getting the highest rating every review period even results in very small raises and bonuses (~5%)
    - executives are driven by their own success instead of what is best for the company
    - executives are out of touch with the market do not listen to employees who actually talk to customers
    - product development and delivery processes slow down and stifle innovation
    - because of the above, no one is motivated to work hard or fast

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to value your best employees and reward them for their hard work. Listen to your top performers and give them the power to make decisions.

Great for grads, otherwise pretty dire

Anon (Current Employee) Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

ProsStay long enough, you'll get reasonable severence
    Excellent productivity tools
    Fantastic colleagues/great team
    Generally, a supportive and encouraging first line management team

ConsPressure on management to downgrade at annual appraisal
    Bonus/pay freezes
    YoY 10% expense (headcount) reductions, if you aren't in a growth region/in a Center of Excellence your job is probably at risk
    Crazy working hours

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove silos
    Stop the constant headcount reductions - cull then allow the team to recover - you can't be prodcutive and innovative when depressed

Terrible, schocking and weird!

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsBase salary is high. Very friendly colleagues

ConsFor me, IBM is the perfect example of an unprofessional, unambitious, arrogant and slow company.

Processes kills everyone
    The place is filled up with people who have waited for their manager position for years.
    There are NO managers, only administrators
    Absolutely lack of organization and management
    Terrible, horrible and disgusting physical working environment. The place is dirty and old!
    My impression was a lot of cheat from sales reps
    EXPENSIVE CANTEEN!
    Sad culture - no one smiles!

Do not believe one word from recruiters or managers during your interview process.

There is a reason that ambitious, eager and passionate people are leaving!

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the world is changing!

I could mention 100 things to improve, but really - the inside sales centre in Dublin is a sad, sad story. After I resigned i suddenly understood why people talk about it as the S***hole

DOn expect any increments

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsWork from home, work life balance

ConsLong list
    1. No increments
    2. still working old technologies
    3. no appreciation
    4. Every thing is controlled by one manager
    5. on papers there are n number of leave. but you cannot take leaves on holidays, vacation or any time you want. If you fell sick they will ask you to work on the week ends to compensate for the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementReimburse things which are approved by company. DOn't act like if those are coming from your pocket.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!