IBM Reviews

3.1
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,801 Ratings

Pros
  • You can work from home or office (when you are in town) (in 1347 reviews)

• Depending on projects - excellent work-life balance (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is basically non existent (in 423 reviews)

• Senior management has lost it's sense of what the corporate mission is (in 214 reviews)

14,551 Employee Reviews

IBM is an awful place to work at.

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

There are no good reasons to work at IBM, other than paying the bills.

Cons

IBM offshores most jobs to developing countries. Monetary compensation is well below industry averages. Managers routinely engage in doublespeak. IBM also has a mandatory overtime policy. When this policy was found to be illegal, they cut salaries by 15%, telling people that they can still make the same amount of money as long as they continue to work 15% overtime. Meanwhile, the CEO will retire with a $70k per WEEK pension.

Advice to Management

Burn in hell, you certainly deserve to.

IBM STG SUCKS -- BIG TIME

Current Employee - Really Does Not Matter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Really Does Not Matter in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

None! Things were good in late 90s when everything was rosy. Now the environment has made pathetic by management with blatant bias.

Cons

Everything is a downside unless you are a genious .. Else you need to be "ingenious" to make it

Advice to Management

RESIGN!

Working at IBM REALLY Sucks!

Former Employee - SAP Technical Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SAP Technical Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM

Pros

A great place if you want to telecommute, their virtual services are second to none.

Cons

Management is just plain incompetent at all levels. You'll never get a decent raise. They expect you to work 80 hour weeks in most cases. You'll get no respect from any level of management and in many cases clients are so fed up with IBM that they are just waiting for their SLAs to expire and then they go with someone else. I've seen it happen over 8 times in the last 5 years. It is absolutely appalling.

Advice to Management

Is there any competent senior management at IBM? Hire more H1-Bs, yeah, that'll improve your image. I mean it can't get any worse can it?

5. IBM on downward spiral.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Access to some of the most advanced equipment and techniques. It is very common to work from home.

Cons

Upper management has become extremely short sighted, focusing on the needs of tomorrow and not the long term future. Last year LEAN was implemented except that the only focus in LEAN was to remove staffing. If you read LEAN techniques it is about reducing staff but doing so in a way that removes excess work that doesn't add value. The staffing reduced is supposed to go into a short term position of handling documentation and process improvements, instead people were cut without all the detail work.

Advice to Management

Remove Sam Palmisano as CEO. Then undo the disaster that was Project LEAN.

sucks

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at IBM

Pros

It may be good to work for ibm if your are fresh out of college, Respect: at least everyone knows the company name. Benefits: average for a large company. You get PPO and travel perks, but they quickly lose their "perk" status. Work/life balance: it doesn't exist. The travelling owns you. And if you work locally, they'll still work you to death because they don't care what the turnover rate is. Most local DC projects for the gov't are dull. 44 hours is required every week. Nope, you don't get paid the extra 4 hours. It was never stated in the offer, but yep - they added it in when you join up. Career Growth: This is a complete joke if you start out on the bottom. I've worked my ass off and got NO WHERE. The people determining your advancement are never on the projects you're on, they never monitor what you do, and the only thing they have to go on is one or two project assessments, and a PBC where you explain how well you think you've met your own goals that you set every year. It's a joke. All the money and extra hours worked goes to the top. Location: or rather, lack of location. If you're consulting, wherever there is work is your location. Now, this might be cool if you're just starting out - but eventually you become extremely stressed out and lose all contact with your friends. Co-worker competence: again, horrible. Underqualified people work here and stay under the radar.

Cons

IBM really does stand for Idiots Become Managers. I did time with IBM as a contractor - the kind of employee they hire through another agency so they don't have to give them perks like decent pay, benefits, raises, vacation/personal/sick time, job security, or respect. Maybe if I worked harder on my golf swing I could've had a shot. The contractors were treated like dirt, and I think that's the whole reason we were hired like that - cheap labor to be abused like slaves. We worked just as hard, dare I say much harder than our supposed full fledged IBM employee coworkers but for much less money and no way to move up in the world! But shouldn't we be making so much money, you know, doing overtime? NO - overtime was frowned upon. Our time wasn't valuable enough to justify paying us more for. They could just hire another schlub at some low rate to take over for us when we were done. Sure they might be a complete idiot who might cause irreparable harm to client relations but they're cheap! As for raises, instead of raises we got annual pay CUTS - cuts that we were made to feel guilty about - our letters said we should be grateful that we got to keep our jobs, and that everyone had to sacrifice. Everyone meaning the contractors. Full employees were comfy and cozy with their nice checks and health insurance. Our schedules would change at a moment's notice. Can you work this weekend? Ok, well great, and by the way, because you said yes you're working every weekend from now on. Graveyard shift? Same deal. When IBM lost clients as they have a talent for, the contractors were cut loose without notice or severance. Some time before the Melville office closed a local newspaper ran an article about the fact that the offices were closing. IBM was quick to react, assuming doing absolutely nothing could be considered a reaction. Eventually a statement was issued that there were no plans to close the offices, and a meeting was held to that effect as well. Several days later a formal announcement was made that the offices were closing. And that was that.

Advice to Management

I think his name is Samonella, Spreading disease throughout the company

Current Employee - Technical Services Professional - Advisory in Southbury, CT
    Current Employee - Technical Services Professional - Advisory in Southbury, CT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Well if you are in Global Services, and in the US. their is no good reason, all you are doing is dodging the big blue bullet if you still have your job. If you are outside of the US things are great for those people.

Cons

IBM as a whole is outsourcing and downsizing its US workforce. Each Day I see more and more of my colleagues lose their jobs. Its disgusting, most of the people posting good reviews on this board are kidding themselves. IBM is not the great company these folks say it is.

Advice to Management

None, its pretty much worthless, we have stated our concerns only for them to turn their backs on us, The US workforce.

IBM Global Services is the worst part of IBM to work for.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at IBM

Pros

When you first join IGS, usually through an 'outsourcing deal', expectations of career advancement run very high. However, as time goes on, these hopes are slowly and methodically squashed. One day you wake up and realize you work for "little blue" and thus considered an unwanted stepchild of the real "Big Blue" IBM, which I hear is a nice place to work.

Cons

Raises, most often below the rate of inflation, are few and far between. Benefits, like most everywhere else, are dwindiling. The company can no longer afford a decent benefit package because of the poor management decisions made in the past. Starting out as a person that very much enjoyed technical activities, I now create superflouous paperwork and engage in meaningless tasks that appear to be adding value in the eyes of my customer. CYA is the name of the game. If IBM looks good, then all is well, right?

Advice to Management

Morale within IBM Global Service (IGS) is lower than low. Given that nothing is being done to improve it, I can only surmise that managements actions are deliberate and willful in the continuing of this atmosphere.

Too much bureaucracy

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM is a very comfortable place to work. It has good benefits and it has fitness programs for its employees.

Cons

It is "top heavy" and has a lot of bureaucracy. It's very hard to get promoted unless you're buddy buddy with your manager. It's not very fair sometimes because the managers don't really know their people well.

Advice to Management

Get to know the people doing the work and not just listen to their selling points.

IBM Loves their Management!

Current Employee - Consulting IT Specialist in Southbury, CT
    Current Employee - Consulting IT Specialist in Southbury, CT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM has very few good reasons to work there. However, a different view might see things more positive. For instance, if you are a senior manager IBM has a ratio of about 30:1 (Management:Employee). This equates to very minimal work load, as well as no accountability. Pay increases for this level are phenominal, and work life balance is outstanding.

Cons

IBM employees have slowly dwindled in the US. With the increased outsourcing of Sr./Jr. technical positions overseas, the accounts are very short staffed, and lack the technical expertise to properly support the associated accounts. This has lead to the thought process of "Quantity not Quality". The US will continue to suffer, as large companies like IBM, continue to take advantage of their employee base, and continue to reward their management base through cost savings. This philosophy continues to erode the company’s ability to function efficiently and fosters anamosity towards upper management. If you are seeking a career with “Big Blue”, and you are a top performer, look elsewhere. If you are the individual who like to: push all responsibilities to others, do not want any accountability, willing to work only 30 hours/week (from home), have no technical knowledge or skill, willing to agree to anything that comes across your desk (even if that product isn’t concieved), and exhibit that outstanding concept of, “It’s a large company, I can hide anywhere.” IBM has Senior Management position waiting for you. Good Luck!

Advice to Management

Seriously, what are you thinking?

Why waste your life at IBM when other companies offer so much more opportunity without the red tape.

Current Employee - IT Architect
    Current Employee - IT Architect

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Name recognition of the world's largest computer company.

Cons

The world's largest computer company is run like a small country with its share of unnecessary administrative rules and regulations.

Advice to Management

Management for management's sake is no way to run a company.

Showing 14,551 of 15,266 reviews