IBM Reviews

11,915 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,727 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1308 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1281 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 414 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 208 reviews)

More Highlights

Employed at IBM for 8 years

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM is still respected as a name

Cons

Constant cost cutting makes it hard to do your job
    You are on your own - no money to support your efforts
    Bare bones benefits - no raises for several years - travel allowances sub par
    Management changes every 6 months

Let the changes you made 6 months ago have some time to work, quit changing the landscape constantly.
    Cuts have been so deep, we have to start replacing losses
    Means test travel - make it possible for those who travel alot to live at an average level instead of sub par
    Reduce the number of VP's - the reporting structure looks like a bowl of spaghetti

IBM is a company that encourages collaboration among its sales and management teams and alignment to client objectives.

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work at IBM are that you are involved in the mainstream of what is happening in the IT and business services surrounding IT. The company is innovative, encouraging of diversity, and collaboration among cross functional teams.

Cons

The challenges of working at IBM is getting everyone that you work with to get on the same page. Sometimes that is the biggest obstacle to accomplish something. Another challenge is the amount of "red tape" that is sometimes associated with the simplest of processes. Getting IBM to change how something is done, even to improve efficiency isn't easy to accomplish.

Rethink established processes, if they can be made more efficient to drive revenue, increase profitability without introducing increased risk they should be changed. Bring back "respect of the individual" as a core value, this drove value, and made the company more personal, this has been lost as the company has matured.

Thought I was an expert until I worked with a smarter workforce

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

IBM challenges me every day to be a problem solver. Really enjoy working with my team and love my boss!

Cons

A lot of folks want their problems solves immediately. Sometimes those answers don't happen in a nanosecond. Meeting their expectations could be challenging at times.

IBM is a great place to start your Career

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong support and training available, smart colleagues, (relatively) stable company, always a challenge around the corner. IBM treats it's entry level employees fairly well, and the health care offered is fantastic.

Cons

Like others have said, as a consultant prepare to work long hours with clients that may not hold IBM in the highest regard. Also, in the near 2 years I've worked here, the companies financial performance has been declining. That has definitely reduced morale around the office, and the feeling by those around me is "why try hard this year, there are no bonuses anyway"

With improved financial performance overall, it would be a better place to work. I know that's not an easy ask.

Worst technology company I have worked for in my 25 year career

Former Employee - Technical Solution Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Solution Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large company with a lot of career avenues to go down if you don't mind the cons (see below).
    High amount of 'Life' in the 'work/life' balance (because of the cons .. see below).

Cons

Highly bureaucratic company where staff are measured on their conformance to internal procedures and not measured on their ability (at least in software group sales).
    Poor pay with limited ability to gain annual raises that meet salaries of smaller technology companies.
    80% of employees focus is driven to be internal and not external on their customers where it should be.
    Very low innovation compared with the movers-and-shakers in the technology world right now.
    Very difficult to actually get anything done with any speed due to the bureaucratic culture.

Move with the times. You are fast becoming outdated, if it hasn't happened already.

low paid company

Current Employee - Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

work as free style without hesitation

Cons

low paid slave and no life balance

Bait & Switch Pros--Job descriptions are not as advertised. Too many chiefs in S&D leadership

Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Quite a bit of great hardware and software products that you can access and learn to increase your skills. If you can work independently, SWG, Lab Services, S&D, GBS, STG groups can be rewarding for those who like to get their technical expertise.

Learn the politics and find your contacts with the "real skills" to get things done. Be visible about your accomplishments or others will take the credit. If you are client facing, get enough technical knowledge "behind the story" to advise the client on how the client on how the technology will work in their environment. Ask more than one person and get an understanding of what groups do and what IBM services are available to you or you will drown. Plenty of ways to "play with the technology" but you have to be a self-starter.

Cons

A lot of managers and executives who strategically place themselves at meetings and do nothing. The famous "do you need help" is always communicated. If you ask, they pass the buck and deflect.

Everybody thinks they need to be at every meeting and most do their email after their 5-10 minute intro of themselves. Backstabbers, bad-mouthing certain roles/people, ridiculous amounts of large presentations to tell the story with very little on the technology itself being the star. Ridiculous amounts of admin overhead and internal meetings for nothing to "trick" senior executives that lower level managers and sales managers are working.

The advancement opportunities are "fake". Managers love to tell you to get certified, but most of the time you get nothing. The managers get the kudos for their teams being certified not those going through certification. Raises...what?!!???!!! Industry certifications should be just acceptable and for client facing roles, more acceptable to allow for advancement

Too many people and roles stepping on one another in the S&D part of the world. The client team is unnecessary overhead and too many sales executives most of which provide little to no value. Too many of them don't really want to change and keep up with the times and not open to new ideas and innovations.

Cloud and mobile solutions could rise in sales if more development support and the technical professionals were actually technical and not sales people with a technical title. Sales executives who don't understand what they do force them to be sales people or ban them from clients making it hard to get real demos. Advice to move tech sales to SWG or another group and not S&D. where they can develop real demos and POCs.

The sales team should be a Sale Lead and a Technology Architect/Officer for all the technologies. They should be able to get brand reps, services, technical professionals, etc., to "get it done". Provide an outlet/deal portal to write a deal without brand reps/sales reps.

Sales leads, brand reps and client execs are the biggest roadblocks with their "I don't make any money off cloud and SaaS" or that product/service mentality. Seen many software and cloud initiatives requested by the client dropped because it is not in their product base or because the client didn't speak to the Exec or Sale Lead first. To circumvent this, allow people to "own it, do it, done" and reduce the layers needed to get to the actual resource. If I can create a mobile apps, why do I need to have the CTP who doesn't know how to develop a mobile app? Why can't I go to a resource directly or do it myself. Too many layers and baton passing to get to the right resource.

Flatten the sales organization and stop making sales process so convoluted.

For advancement, make external certifications carry just as much weight as IBM certifications. For client facing jobs, industry certifications carry more weight in many cases. Give fair raises.

IBM has been a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My manager is very flexible, it seems like most managers will allow you to work from home at least a portion of the week. Many resources are available too, being such a big and established firm.

Cons

Having so many employees can make you feel unimportant. You have such a small hand dealt to you in regards to the grand scheme of things. Can sometimes make your work feel unimportant.

direction and strategy

I have been working at IBM (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unbelievable focus on the individual

Cons

ability to consistently execute year as new competitors define the landscape

look for real leaders and less on who knows who

Bought when company bought in 2002, feels like a body shop, disconnected from corporate mainstream.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity if you're willing to put in the hours, follow their policies and practices, and get a little bit lucky selling business and working for and with good people, of whom there are plenty. Decent benefits. Lots of resources, but can be difficult to locate, access, and utilize

Cons

Living with no raise in the last six years because I'm not rated in the top 5% of performers. Performance rated by people who know nothing about you and have very limited input and criteria. Promotions available but require tedious documentation, changing criteria, evaluation by people who again know nothing about you, other than what you put on your personal sales document soliciting a promotion, and have sales expectations, which is not where I or many want to go. No pension any more and 401K contribution diminishing.

If your intent is to foster and nurture a culture of self-serving employees, who's first concern is themselves rather than the client or the company, in all ways and at all times, then you are doing just fine. Personally, I didn't grow up and have not lived my life to be self-serving but to contribute, earn my reasonable share, and be part of something bigger than myself with purposes bigger than myself. That's not what I see your management style inculcating, rather, the exact opposite. I'll be leaving before too long; good luck with that style, be surprised at what it yields.