IBM

3.2 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,360 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
10,000 Employee Reviews

Smart people; strong technology; good work/life balance

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsI've worked at IBM for the past 15 years in both smaller groups and larger groups, and there are many things to appreciate about IBM. First, you have the luxury of changing jobs often to gain experience in different software and hardware product groups, which is a huge benefit. The processes are very well established and refined often, which many smaller companies find helpful when they hire IBMers.

ConsThe downside is that all the processes tend to take a lot of time away from doing the job they hire you for. IBM knows this and spends a lot of time simplifying the internal processes, but sometimes that's not always doable. Overall, I have high respect for this company, and it's a great place to learn all about IT.

amazing internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbig company, great opportunity to grow individually

Conscouldn't think of any at the moment

Opportunity in abundance.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTraining is available for every topic you may be interested. Opportunity to expand your skill sets in any career path that may interest you.

ConsWork-life balance can be a little skewed from time to time, but I have discovered that by mentioning my concerns they are typically resolved or alternatives identified to regain that balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more advance planning can be useful to the general rank and file, and allow for advance worker planning.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The honeymoon is over

Software Sales (Current Employee)

ProsPockets of highly intelligent people who have spent years mastering their field are an excellent resource. Many IBMers willing to be mentors and help you. Team work is strong and technical resources are great. Some of the kindest people I have ever worked with. Work from home. Flexibility is probably unparallelled.

ConsAcquisition mash-up. Execs are put in charge who know little about the technology or the new buyer. Knowledge base is dwindling with turnover which is a constant, and customers are not pleased. With the knowledge base goes the innovation. Morale is in the can and no strategy to retain top talent. Good reps are looking elsewhere. No salary increase, even if you are a top performer. Opportunity to advance is slow and painful. Sales tools are process-heavy, out of date, and not integrated. Spend more time reporting than selling. You are a serial number that delivers a quota. Pay is not industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. Top talent is leaving and customers are losing faith in IBM.

IBM is a huge and well-run computer company that grows mostly by acquisition rather than organic internal innovation.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsVery stable and successful company; decent benefits, effective management, solid products, strong software and services businesses. Strong research division, which does most of the internal innovation like the Watson project.

ConsEasy to get lost amid over 400,000 employees and many divisions and product lines. Political infighting between competing organizations can ruin your day. Opportunities for innovative work are limited, as the company innovates mainly by acquiring smaller, more innovation companies, rather than innovating internally (other than in IBM research centers). Hardware business is struggling currently, but that could change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the push for more professional development for all employees. Consider more employee-friendly gestures like providing coffee, organizing local social events to build a sense of family and shared direction.

Great Company to work for..

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsGood management, team work.Able to learn a lot.Fast paced environment.fun company to work with

ConsTimings..need to be avail 24*7

Software Engineer right out of college

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Poughkeepsie, NY

ProsLots of opportunities for starter in the Technology industry. One is able to learn so much from people who are highly qualified.
    The work environment is very laid back. You do not have a situation where a manager is constantly on your shoulder.
    Talk about work/life balance, this is where you find it.
    The pay is very good

ConsYoung people may find it a bit hard because there are very many old people in this company. Many of the old people have been there for several years. The company`s old creed of giving people a career for life is responsible for this.
    The company also embarked on rebalancing to refocus its business model which led to some people losing their jobs lately

Advice to Senior ManagementThe rebalancing should be done with human face. The company truly needs to make some readjustment in order to continue to be relevant.

Overall positive experience

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPerks are : Flexibility to work from home, can integrate work and life very well, good vacation..they are remodeling the site now so will have a modern look and feel

ConsInitially salary was low but then after getting good manager got a very good raise..so compensation depends on your performance and manager but overall good management

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far I have always had good managers so nothing to complain about yet except the time when salary was not good..

Not your daddy's IBM

ProsDecent salaries, decent benefits, great co-workers and everyone takes care of business.

ConsExecutive management seems to have no clue. Blindly cutting folks that are needed just to make their numbers look good.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Employees are not working to kill time, they are working to make a living. You need to motivate. We are self motivated to a point, but you can surely help. Motivation does not come from job cuts and taking away benefits (pensions and more) and earned bonuses. You should take the cuts. You are the reason for the results. You cannot grow revenue when selling off parts of the business. I won't make in a lifetime what you make in a year.

growing my career very well

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosdiversity and people you work with

Consslow but steady career growth

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of people, software company is all about knowledge workers

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!