IBM Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
13504 reviews filtered by

1. Good place to work - autonomy is important to me - they let me make decisions on how to get something done

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

good managers
    good support
    good peer support
    flexible hours
    busy bot not overworked

Cons

schedule is uneven at times
    some times you handling 10 tasks all at the same time
    need more time with mgr

Share vision more often to those in the trenches

2. There are a lot of opportunities and benefits at IBM, though at times certain decision makers perplex you

Current Employee - Senior Software Product Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Product Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always other opportunities available within the company as you feel it's time for a change, and they recognize dedication and hard work with retention. IBM has a list of even some hidden benefits that have provided an overall package that's very good. The flexibility to work from home is big a financial and a social benefit.

Cons

Salary growth is difficult when with the company for a long period of time. Some careful treading through politics and privilege is sometimes necessary, and occasionally some of the bloat in bureaucracy hinders your ability to get things done efficiently or in a timely manner for your clients.

Come into your job with open ears, not only to vocal clients, but better yet listen to the experienced people within the organization to understand what are the needs of your "silent majority" of clients. You'd gain a lot by trusting the judgment of those who have been in an industry for a long time, rather than claiming the need to hide behind some need for more analysis, which most often leaves us all in paralysis--thereby missing opportunities while the door is open.

3. senior engineer

I worked at IBM

Pros

good company overall. the folks are good and work hard.

Cons

too many distractions and feels like the direction is not clear to the troops. Too much churn.

improve products, direction and communication. Bring technology products.

5. The Best Place I've Worked

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Unbelievable accomplishments, history, and incredible vision for the future. Their is a reason Buffet had IBM as the 3rd most invested company by Berkshire :Hathaway. They have gone through 3/4 transitions and each time come out on top. The CEOs vision is

Cons

There are no cons. This company is legendary in the computer industry.

More bonuses and incentives

6. Sr Project Manager New Business Models

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, flexibility, gaining good experience managing world wide teams and implementing new systems and processes.

Cons

Company in need of restructuring and ability to implement processes faster and more effective.

7. Software Engineer

I have been working at IBM

Pros

work life balance is one of the few benefits

Cons

not organized and don't have clear vision

8. Pleasant

I have been working at IBM

Pros

good environtment, friendly people, great teams

Cons

no cons really necessary

9. Depends on where you are in the company

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At IBM it very much depends on where you are in the company. The life of someone in Research is very different from Software Group or Global Business Services. If you're working in a hot area like IBM Cloud or IBM Watson Group, it's a terrific place to work, filled with some of the brightest and hardest working people in the world. As an added bonus, IBM is really good about work life balance and being flexible when life happens.

Cons

There's a relentless drive toward shareholder value that is hurting the morale of the company as it leads to short horizon decision making. In many areas of the company morale is very low because the employees are working in an area that is no longer the high margin areas that IBM gravitates toward. But where it's good, it's good.

There is a profound lack of transparency across the company. Particularly around things like resource actions (layoffs). These are often not communicated with employees, so when a pundit comes out and says "IBM is going to lay off 100k people" we have no way to combat that. In a world of social media your employees can be your best weapon against some of this, but we constantly feel as though there is no communication to those of us manning the decks of the company.

Good at start, not so great later on

Former Employee - Managing Consultant
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best people I have ever worked with - smart, savvy, helpful, and driven to excellence. The people (at the project/worker bee level) are just awesome. First line managers are almost all good. Upper management - meh - not so impressed.

Cons

Utilization is a god - and the targets are usually insanely high. If your vacation or sickness, holidays or training drop you below the target, you are expected to make it up out of your own time - which means vacations are not the time away you wish.

plan on finding your won projects after you have been there a while. And hope sales and marketing have sold enough contracts to keep you busy. You miss your target, you can pretty much plan on leaving IBM.

A lot of RAs (Resource Actions - layoffs to other folks). They are past cutting the fat, they are cutting into the muscle and bone. I spoke to one manager - he had 3 contracts to staff, no one to staff them with, no one on the bench, no bench expected in less than a month, and they had just laid off some of his people.

Pay / promotions - well last few years have been sparse for a lot of people (unless you are a superstar, or in a large office and know all the bigwigs). Me - I am remote, no raise in 9 years, no promotions - ever (over 15 years).

Bean counter seem to be in charge, and they don't care about people, only trying to get the money.

Still for starting out, it isn't bad. You get to meet some incredibly amazing people, learn lot of team and technical skills, and it looks great on your resume. Just be aware, and know when it is time for you to move on.

Start cutting your own fat - instead of the people who do the work for you. Telling "all hands" to work harder, bill more, and letting everyone know how awesome you are is not going to keep working. I have met too many upper level managers who couldn't do the job their people are doing - but who are willing to cut those people.

11. Managing Consultant

I worked at IBM

Pros

There are Lot of opportunities within the company

Cons

he company is too big and often managed by process.

build leadership at the lower level as well