IBM Reviews

12,051 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,508 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

Good large company with many large company problems and benefits

Current Employee - Applications Architect
    Current Employee - Applications Architect

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Relatively stable company.
    Process oriented management
    Many opportunities to learn
    Work from home (100%) opportunities
    Many smart people to learn from and network

Cons

Clueless middle level management
    Little or no growth unless you have the "connections"
    Too much process (bureaucracy) and too many turf wars
    Too many dumb people hampering your progress

Hire smarter managers or better still give opportunity to smart insiders. Reduce bureaucracy and reward true talent. More transparent management.

Good Company, not highest pay

Former Employee - Online Commerce Consultant  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Online Commerce Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

IBM is a great company, that provides top corporate benefits. Very flexible with work/life balance, vacation, etc. Working here will give you exposure to top solutions and innovations in industry

Cons

Typically the pay scale/earning potential is lower here compared to smaller technology companies. In addition, this environment creates complacency with the employee. If they don't believe they will be rewarded then why go the extra mile. In addition, large company that is changing direction in changing industry means regular resource actions resulting in many lay-offs. Lay-offs happen that are not always based on Job Performance

Keep in touch with the employees concerns. Change pay structure to be more aggressive even if it means reducing the employee benefits.

IBM is a good company but is losing its people centric focus

Current Employee - Advisory IT Architect  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory IT Architect in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people, products, and services.
    Very good benefits
    Competitive salaries
    Challenging opportunities

Cons

Too much pressure to produce
    High management overhead
    Many changes in focus directions
    Has lost it's worker centric focus and people are more replaceable than before

Don't continue down the path of making it look like the "numbers" are good at the expense of the workforce that supports the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineer Microelectronics

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance. They treat you like a person.

Cons

Little to no raises. You can count on them canceling one of the two standard raises. When you do get one, 1-2% is common. Few promotions. Seniority plays as big of a role in promotions and moving to management (a wait list of people)

Try to say something positive for once

Big, with lots of opportunity for employees. Cool projects that could be great, if IBM could get out of it's own way..

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic vision. Vision that is engaging, world changing and you want to be a part of that vision.
    There really is a lot of hope, promise and opportunity. Globally.
    Great ability to work remotely.
    Incredible access to information, technology and training....if you have the time to look for it.
    Fair salaries
    Great people. Really great people.

Cons

Everywhere seems to be short staffed. The work we could be producing could be really great if only we had the people dedicated (meaning not being shuffled onto other projects) to do it.
    Limited (really limited) budget for project team travel
    Not the best health care benefits

Good brand lack of identity

Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We'll recognized brand, but "Road Maps" are hurting morale. Move to 100% SW company will take longer than what VPs anticipated

Cons

Looking for a new identity. Difficulty moving around divisions due to "silo" style structures. Current re-structuring process will make it hard to attract new talent

I feel sorry for first line managers

Great employer to add to your resume as a Fresh Graduate, but it does come with a steep price.

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

The individuals at the company are quite knowledgeable given that they have been at the company for a long amount of time. You get access to the large library of technical information in variety of fields.

Cons

I have been with the company for a little over one year and I will tell exactly what I have went through. In title I said that it comes with a steep price, turns out I am not even making one fourth of what my client is being billed for hourly. My annual salary is 40k and IBM kind of knows that fresh graduates will fall for it, so they low ball you.

Second I am an individual who cannot sit steady and I like to keep progressing and learning new things, IBM is not the place if you are expecting to progress/develop your career. You are treated as a disposable asset, where if one leaves another takes their place. I like to take on challenges, but after a couple months the work gets stale as there is nothing challenging about it and its more like a daily chore where you don't get to learn much or you get placed on a project where the team lead has no idea what is going on, believe me I have been through both scenarios.

After a year, I really think that rather then being able to progress on my career path it went backwards. You may ask why stay if I hate it? Well I am not here for long, only until the end of Dec 2014 and then I am out. :)

Overall I would say the management is flexible but again it does come with the stone etched 90's corporate environment. In my 1+ year at IBM, I have yet to see them include any of the smarter planet concept in the day to day life and move out of that stone etched 90's corporate mindset.

Sadly Disappointing

Former Employee - Technical Team Lead  in  Hopewell, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Team Lead in Hopewell, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand name to work for..Benefits are okay..pay is average.

Cons

Before I left, we had a meeting to come up with ideas with teams?? On how to re-invent ourselves?? Sadly in this business you should be overseeing your advancements on a weekly if anything monthly. To use to same routines no innovation or new ideas on how to press forward. Each IBM'er was to Independent to do his or her own thing..Our process engineers all wanted patents on processes..etc..No willingness to grow together. To bring new and open ideas to the table. Sadly IBM is behind the 8 Ball trying to play catch. I was very surprised how we still were in business.

Learn to open up to your employees for new and innovative ideas to expand in the industry as a maverick to go to new avenues. Your to rigid and have conformed to your old ways...Like I said you've fallen behind the eight ball. Offer everyone increases for success. Be open to new ways and ideas.

Was a great company to work for, but commitment to the employee has changed

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Southbury, CT
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Southbury, CT

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The salary and Benefits are good. The management has always valued work/life balance and respect for the individual. The workplace is very professional.

Cons

Too any jobs sent abroad and too many job actions

Be responsible to your current employees. If you are committed to them they will be committed to IBM.

Good place to work, but management seems to fabricate the truth to employees.

Former Employee - Storage Support  in  Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Storage Support in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to new hardware technology and database.

Cons

Management is not trustworthy when it comes to informing employees.

Need to overhaul work/life balance

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!