IBM

IBM Reviews in Sacramento, CA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you can get around the "bigness" of IBM, and focus on project and local teams, it is very manageable.

Associate Partner (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThe positive about the size is that there are resources for just about anything, and there are compatible groups with which to align.

ConsThe downside of the size is that there is constant change in management, which sometimes contributes to needing to move on to continue to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate the value of long-term focus into the measurement system; train managers to support IDPs better (more consistently, more frequently than annually), and stop "weathering" recessions and lead the world in generating a 21st century economy that benefits all.

Untrustworthy & Uncaring

Project Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsIBM's descent into mediocrity continues. I was hired as a sub-contractor for an engagement as a PM. IBM asked me for a one-year commitment which I provided, and I turned down other opportunities to take on the work. Two months later, IBM announces a "restructuring" in which they got rid of third-party contractors. They refused to release me from my non-compete clause but offered to send in an IBM employee from India to fill the role. The client was livid - this occurred in the middle of a system cut-over. Do not trust this company - they have an attitude that IBM is a leading company, but this is far from the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Good riddance.

Opportunity in abundance.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTraining is available for every topic you may be interested. Opportunity to expand your skill sets in any career path that may interest you.

ConsWork-life balance can be a little skewed from time to time, but I have discovered that by mentioning my concerns they are typically resolved or alternatives identified to regain that balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more advance planning can be useful to the general rank and file, and allow for advance worker planning.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company does not care about employees at all. They will work you to death. Very unstable.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsPay was above average for equivalent jobs.

ConsCompany is very unstable. Constant furloughs and layoffs. Project Managers are very pushy, Managers always expect the impossible and no matter how many hours you give them, they want more more more. Worst company I ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a heart and invest in your people. Your company will sink if you don't grow employees that care about your company.

Sales Account Manager

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsVery organized, lot of depth in products and ability to provide end-to-end solution

ConsToo slow to respond to changing customer needs

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome leaner

Great company to work for

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsIf you are motivated and like to learn new things, this is a great company to work for.

ConsDo not expect to put in a 9-5 and check out mentally while on the job.. you won't get anywhere fast in IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current direction of the company is very focused.. but it is a large company and there are too many layers of management at times. My only recommendation would be to create tighter focused 'swat' style teams to tackle specific high priority projects. Cut out some of the management and review process for ideas that need a faster turn-around time.

Lots of opportunities, but not the best place to work

IT Consultant (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsLots of assignments, no dearth of opportunities. Many international assignments ( even to exotic places ) if you want more global experience. Does almost any technology that you can think of.

ConsNo HR ( managers make all the decisions ), which is not very efficient if the manager is not capable.
    Average salary, and fewer perks.
    Slow career growth. Brutal hire and fire policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe crux of IBM is the manager. IBM needs to give more importance while hiring managers .

no room for growth, very political

SSR (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prosthe freedom you get and the benefits are good, the pay is below average

Consthe pay is below average

Advice to Senior ManagementIBM used to treat its people great now its just like the rest

Opps fading in north america

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTechnical opps for those that ars willng to give up their life and travel.

ConsMorale due to offshoring. Focus on quarterly performance.

Average experience

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee) West Sacramento, CA

ProsWorking with experience and friendly employees.

ConsA little disorganized and not enough equipment support.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore leadership.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!