IBM

IBM Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

100 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunities

Database Administrator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAs long as you are comfortable in a big company, there are actually a lot of opportunities for professional development.

ConsEasy to get lost in the org structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to best practices from start ups in Siicon Valley.

Good long term company

Computer Programmer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThough the company culture can be demanding there are many benefits afforded like career advancement, training, relocation and education on new solutions.

ConsIt can be demanding at times due to the political environment and hectic pace and schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand you are in competition with other companys that want to recruit top talent and thus realign some older outdated policies.

Top heavy company, too many incompetent "Distinguished Engineers" and directors, below market pay for non-execs

IT Architect (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTraining/resources, global travel, old recognized brand on resume (though for technical people, the brand is becoming toxic to have on resume)

Conslittle respect for technical talent, serious money only starts at DE level or director+.
    top heavy: too many directors, vps and DEs, who aren't technical and are seriously out of touch with the dynamics of the tech market
    promotions are political, smart people sidelined and credit for their work taken by directors and DEs.

Advice to Senior Managementtake a cue from microsoft and start trimming the fat at the top, else watch your market get gobbled up by the likes of google & amazon in the coming years

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good learning experience

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Innovation is the mantra
    - Scope of working with the best in technology across various geographies.

Cons- Huge organization, so individual contribution gets lost in the crowd.

Advice to Senior Management- None

Technology Analyst

Technology Analyst (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsJob security, any dumb man can servive

Consdifficult to grow just by working on your project, need to do other activities , project work given very less priority compare other company related campus activity, so this is good for those guys who speaks a lot but works less!!

Advice to Senior Managementfind a mechanisam to give value to the workers who are techincally good and delivers the project

Missed opportunitiy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsIBM is, without a doubt a great company and a good employer. The company is huge, it's decision-making slow super slow and the business is run by the spreadsheet masters. Nonetheless, job opportunities are there for the right people who don't mind mind-numbing bureaucracy.

ConsFor people with Silicon Valley DNA - for people who are accustomed to getting things done - its not a good fit. Decsions are made in a vacuum at HQ in New York. They don't get agile, they aspire to be cloud, but severely lack the DNA and relevant infrastructure to make it happen. IBM's CRM system is a custom version of Siebel. What can I say.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo question, it will be difficult to change course and accelerate at the same time. It's a big big ship. My advice: when acquiring west coast cloud companies, leave them alone to retain top talent and IP. Better yet, establish west coast HQ (Connecticut is where great ideas die a slow death), led by experienced startup execs so that agile teams and entrepreneurial people feel compelled to join and stay.

IT Solutions

Solutions Architect (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIts great place to work

ConsNothing I can think of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feed back from employees

Two tours totaling 14 years - leaving again

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is a great company for one to start their career, but don't make the mistake on hanging out too long. IBM is a sales organization, which just happens to be in technology. It used to be run by sales people with an ethos of work hard, play hard. But that's been gone for a decade +. The bean counters have taken over the top offices and have slowly taken away all the things that made this company fun to be a part of. If you're on commission, expect a 1% salary increase about once every 3 years, so negotiate well on your way in the door. My recommendation for anyone starting here is to learn all you can in 2-3 years, then leave and go to a competitor - you'll see the same business from another angle and become a very well rounded IT professional.

ConsLike any sales organization, whatever you achieved in the past, is the past, and there is a new quarter ahead. If you're hitting your quota early, they will increase it and say that you'll appreciate the challenge. There is management by intimidation, but retribution seems rare. The last few months have been a particularly heartbreaking time - 4 rounds of layoffs in the last 6 months, because the share price is much more important than the people who've made this company great for our customers. Commission statements are delivered via random number generator, where it's nearly impossible to determine if you're getting paid on your accounts, or those of someone else. If you have a commission dispute, IBM outsourced that aspect of the business to South America years ago, and they have little time, or sympathy to help resolve money issues for people whom they feel are paid too much. Tuition reimbursement is a thing of the past - better to hire from outside than foster organic development. At conferences when the company hosts a party, they'll let in the customers, but not the IBMers who brought the customers. Sometimes a little awkward. With regards to compensation IBM consistently pays at the low end of the scale. And the benefits get more expensive and cover less each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementWay too many levels of management, which is why our products are so expensive - 75 people (65 of which are overlays who never touched an account) need to get paid for every widget sold. You need to closely examine the first line managers, as they are essential to the career development of the people in the field. While there are some outstanding people here, I've had a few managers who provide zero value, and have actually done damage to the morale of the team they manage. Keep in mind the job of a first line manager is among the worst in the company - you job is to deliver bad news from above, have very little influence over change, and your main task is to inform your team of new administrivia tasks with short deadlines, and forward emails.

All the opportunities you can handle without the pay.

IT Architect (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork from home. Lots of job options. Leading technology.

ConsBenefits are expensive. Salaries don't keep up with market. Raises are practically nonexistent. Forced fit ranking system.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop setting unrealistic goals to appease the share holders. Take care of your employees and the employees will take this company far. It's not all about the share price that pumps your executive options.

Insane expectations, they'll work you to death with lowest wages they can get away with.

Technical Support (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsNone None None and None whatsoever.

ConsManagement will use you and abuse you. give you meager pay and no raises/bonuses(even if there was , it'll be divided worldwide, which is about 50$ after taxes). IBM will Micromanage you to death and constantly increasing your workload and place you on a quota system.Meet you quota of 3 tickets a day, then it automatically increases to 4 then 5 till they cut down your department to barebone. You'll be rated every quarter. Your 401k will only be matched if you survive a whole year. Never have i experience so poor treatment and subjected to yearly sessions to belittle you on how easily replaceable you are and worthless. For those that got outsourced to IBM, well start looking for another job it's a dead end. I had no choice when my previous company outsourced us to IBM.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue your cost saving tactics and take your golden parachutes cause you'll be replaced and layoff eventually.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!