IBM

11,948 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,453 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

250 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good family work balance

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Jose, CA

Pros

flexible work schedule and good compensation

Cons

resources limitaton that hold off growth

Need to invest more in technology, resources and people

Good brand lack of identity

Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

We'll recognized brand, but "Road Maps" are hurting morale. Move to 100% SW company will take longer than what VPs anticipated

Cons

Looking for a new identity. Difficulty moving around divisions due to "silo" style structures. Current re-structuring process will make it hard to attract new talent

I feel sorry for first line managers

hardware engineering

Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

You can learn from the experienced engineers. You can stay in one position and become the expertise in this area. Nice working environment.

Cons

right now the company changed the business direction. There are rounds of restructure and the hardware job positions are not stable.

Software needs to have the customized hardware support. need to consider the hardware support in the future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional atmosphere, lots of structure, but too much focus on profits.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

It's a well run business doing all kinds of things. If you don't mind navigating the bureaucracy it could be good.Decent benefits.My manager was great and in general I think the managers try to help the people they manage.

Cons

Decisions are made at corporate levels. They try to take employee input but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Consider replacing Think 40 with innovate 80, trying to get every employee to learn some new things is good but falls short of actually making a change.

Difficult work/life balance!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

-Work hours and schedule was quite flexible. As long as I got my work done, I was allowed to work from home (or anywhere else) 3-4 days a week and set my own schedule.
    -The projects are pretty interesting if you are a naturally curious person that always wants to keep learning.
    -Tons of smart, interesting people to meet and learn from; get to make connections and working relationships with people all over the world.
    -Free online courses or e-learning sessions that you can add to your resume. Always new stuff to learn, and an endless supply of subject matter experts to learn from.
    -Got to use company computer for personal use, like checking Twitter and Facebook, since using social media was part of my job. However, managers will come down on you if you abuse that privilege.

Cons

-The work was extremely challenging, and there was an ENDLESS amount of work to be done, especially with layoffs. Company would lay off a person, but still expect the same amount of work to be completed- so you have 1 person being held responsible for the workloads of 2-3 people.
    -Everyone is expected to work insanely long hours, all of the time.
    -Disheartening - I never felt "caught up" or accomplished at the end of the day, never left the office feeling like I had done a good job and I was prepared to come back the next morning. Even if I did make a lot of progress one day, I knew that everything could change overnight and I could wake up to a huge sh1tst0rm in my inbox.
    -Everyone's inbox at IBM is a nightmarish hell. Time management, productivity, and efficiency are major problems.
    -Bizarre work hours due to the I in IBM - International. Some weeks I had to work from home in my pajamas and sign on at 8pm and work until 6am, then sleep all day, so that I could have phone calls with China and Israel.

Take care of your young employees and your old employees? I don't know. The management at IBM is so diverse... some managers are amazing, some are terrible, some are average.

Staff Software Engineer

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Nothing great here....The company product roadmap is not good.

Cons

Its not good place to have great career growth.

Managers don't Manage.

Current Employee - User Experience  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience in San Jose, CA

Pros

Collaborating with my peers to deliver great UX, work/life balance, paycheck, optimism that Ginni will make a difference with the new IBM Design Thinking organization.

Cons

Top-rate managers are very few and far between, and I know of only one actual top-rate people manager, most have been technical leads promoted up to their level of incompetence, and most have far too many direct reports to be able to manage anything effectively. Politics are RAMPANT, in some divisions to the point of shouting matches and complete stiflement of good UX implementation based solely on Exec preferences. Cronyism, nepotism, and good-ole-boys clubs still exist and make for contentious working environments.

Get a clue about how to OBJECTIVELY manage the human element. Listen to, foster, and grow your people. Provide objective enablement of clear career paths for anyone who wants to grow within the company. Implement mandatory interpersonal management training classes for EVERY manager, present and future, and some form of 360 feedback program for their reports to provide feedback metrics on the success of their manager at the task of managing people.

Review

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Jose, CA

Pros

Compensation benefits work life balance

Cons

No stock options Lousy Bonus Politics

Too focused on EPS goal

Former Employee - Delivery Project Executive  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Delivery Project Executive in San Jose, CA

Pros

Was a terrific 36 year career which offered me incredible opportunity for a guy from the poor side of town who worked his way through college.

Cons

Politics has gone beyond belief,matrix management is a failure... those who get the best accounts are those closest to their remote managers ... those in other states are ignored and allowed to atrophy.

Drop the EPS goal, confess that it was not realistic, take the near term hit, preserve your skills, focus on employee development, re instill respect for the individual. You are about to lose the most valuable asset you have.

Software Engineer Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Very Nice people, will train you, flexible schedule

Cons

Might be a boring environment

Pay more attention to your interns

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!