IBM Reviews in San Jose, CA

12,051 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,508 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

260 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

What you do has enormous effect on business and society

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Cloud Engineering  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Cloud Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Leverage huge technical IBM community, create for impacts and bring changes.

Cons

mediocrity, limited personal growth, perks

Just speed of execution will not make us successful, profit sharing with employee and their investment in the company will make IBM successful

Technical Sales Specialist

Current Employee - Technical Representative  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great teams across the entire organization.
    You manage your own time working with other team mates.
    You control your own career path.

Cons

IBM is big company and I meet an HR person 1 in 11+ years.

On the right track - keep technical team with the latest technologies

Old style management, have and have nots

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company, many projects to work on. Flexible work hours, liberal work at home policy.

Cons

Was part of an acquisition and during the "indoctrination" process a whole bunch of promises were made. About 10% of which were true. Been there a little over 4 years and have not had one raise, even though they insist on yearly reviews and have been an above average contributor for all 4 years.

Long hours, want to work like a startup but without the same benefits of a start up, i.e. Stock Options, Catered Lunches, Phone plans.

Too many managers making decisions without consulting the folks who actually do the work. I would go as far as to say the first and second line management is either incompetent or uncaring about the work. Just "ship it" seems to be the motto, regardless of quality. They also manipulate the "defect" rates so as to make the product quality look good on paper.

Stop managing to the earning per share, drop the "curve" rating system and pay your folks what they deserve.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big Company

Former Employee - Consulting IT Specialist  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting IT Specialist in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People in general are nice. Opportunities to work with really big projects and customers. Benefits are good.

Cons

It's huge. Your advancement depends on how good you are building relationships with upper management.
    Things move slowly because of multiple layers of management. A lot of incompetent managers.

Software intern

Former Employee - Software Intern  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible working hours, some smart people

Cons

Bad management, many old crappy engineers, no value for work done

Good brand lack of identity

Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We'll recognized brand, but "Road Maps" are hurting morale. Move to 100% SW company will take longer than what VPs anticipated

Cons

Looking for a new identity. Difficulty moving around divisions due to "silo" style structures. Current re-structuring process will make it hard to attract new talent

I feel sorry for first line managers

hardware engineering

Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You can learn from the experienced engineers. You can stay in one position and become the expertise in this area. Nice working environment.

Cons

right now the company changed the business direction. There are rounds of restructure and the hardware job positions are not stable.

Software needs to have the customized hardware support. need to consider the hardware support in the future.

Professional atmosphere, lots of structure, but too much focus on profits.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a well run business doing all kinds of things. If you don't mind navigating the bureaucracy it could be good.Decent benefits.My manager was great and in general I think the managers try to help the people they manage.

Cons

Decisions are made at corporate levels. They try to take employee input but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Consider replacing Think 40 with innovate 80, trying to get every employee to learn some new things is good but falls short of actually making a change.

Difficult work/life balance!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Work hours and schedule was quite flexible. As long as I got my work done, I was allowed to work from home (or anywhere else) 3-4 days a week and set my own schedule.
    -The projects are pretty interesting if you are a naturally curious person that always wants to keep learning.
    -Tons of smart, interesting people to meet and learn from; get to make connections and working relationships with people all over the world.
    -Free online courses or e-learning sessions that you can add to your resume. Always new stuff to learn, and an endless supply of subject matter experts to learn from.
    -Got to use company computer for personal use, like checking Twitter and Facebook, since using social media was part of my job. However, managers will come down on you if you abuse that privilege.

Cons

-The work was extremely challenging, and there was an ENDLESS amount of work to be done, especially with layoffs. Company would lay off a person, but still expect the same amount of work to be completed- so you have 1 person being held responsible for the workloads of 2-3 people.
    -Everyone is expected to work insanely long hours, all of the time.
    -Disheartening - I never felt "caught up" or accomplished at the end of the day, never left the office feeling like I had done a good job and I was prepared to come back the next morning. Even if I did make a lot of progress one day, I knew that everything could change overnight and I could wake up to a huge sh1tst0rm in my inbox.
    -Everyone's inbox at IBM is a nightmarish hell. Time management, productivity, and efficiency are major problems.
    -Bizarre work hours due to the I in IBM - International. Some weeks I had to work from home in my pajamas and sign on at 8pm and work until 6am, then sleep all day, so that I could have phone calls with China and Israel.

Take care of your young employees and your old employees? I don't know. The management at IBM is so diverse... some managers are amazing, some are terrible, some are average.

Managed by a spreadsheet

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for IBM is like working for many different companies, so potentially you can move about and build your career without changing companies.

Cons

Employees taken the burden of what I like to call "IBM Blue Overhead". There are processes, tools, databases by the 1000s. Getting help or support often requires contacting someone in another country. Raises and bonuses are abysmal. They have off-shored so many internal support positions that basically you need to be your own IT help desk, HR partner, and BA. Your first line manager has virtually no control over your salary, raises, bonuses.

Consider the burden your workers pay by your "cost-saving" strategies to offshore so many job functions. This may not show up in your spreadsheet, but it's there and you're burning out the hard-working employees whose jobs you haven't yet cut.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!