IBM

IBM Reviews in Sydney Australia

Updated Jul 27, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
83 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent Salary for grads but it is a product of your own initiative

Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- great experience to project management and networking
    - team structure is bureaucratic leadership

Cons- hard to be promoted
    - job security is a thing of the past

Long-term IBM employee

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsWorking for IBM over a very long period of time, they were able to offer me a lot of flexibility to incorporate some the changes I experienced in my person life. I think some of these flexibility options need to be earnt, rather than expected.

ConsIBM is going through an extremely difficult period, with cost savings, revenue challenges and massive redundancies, making it very difficult current working conditions.

Not what it once was

Project Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsWork- life balance.
    Company values are on the surface, good, and were to me, however, whispers were that not all people treated the same way.

ConsCost-cutting environment and ongoing redundancies mean moral is through the floor.
    Poor wages compared to market rates.
    Process-bound.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for a new strategy, the current one has been failing for too long, so surely someone at the top has some new ideas?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enriching and way ahead when thinking strategic HR initiatives

AP C&B Executive (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsExposure, diversity, work ethic, competent colleagues

ConsSlow, bureaucratic, conservative, compensation, finance driven

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks as people will back you.

An aging IT giant desperately trying to reinvent itself

Post Sales Software Support Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- Free access to books and training materials for all of their own products.
     - It is still seen as a prestigious name to work for, so it looks good on a resume.
     - Access to flexible work conditions to enable a better work-life balance.
     - Reasonable stability during the boom and bust peaks and troughs of the IT industry.

ConsWhere to start ?

98% of front line staff have very poor morale. So do the first three layers of management. However, as IBM has closer to 10 layers of management, that is something that senior management either is ignorant of or is happening far enough away that they don't care.

It is a huge bureaucracy, and there is an approved process for EVERYTHING. Some of these processes no longer make sense, as in they take longer, cost more and achieve nothing, but they are applied rigidly anyway. If you have ever worked for a large government department, then imagine that experience, squared.

The company is in the ninth year of increasing profitability (specifically earnings per share) despite having flat revenue by reducing costs. Decent payrises and bonuses are rare, approval for outside courses or training involving travel is close to impossible, employee benefits have been trimmed to the bone and further - e.g. no coffee in the offices, no Christmas party for staff.

Allegedly it is easy to have a varied career without ever leaving IBM by changing to many diverse roles within the company, but in practice your manager will block transfers for as long as possible because the process of getting replacement headcount takes 6 to 9 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat was once a leader in innovation is now the software industries version of an asset stripper. We buy a SW company, puff up their software and use our WW organisation to sell it like it never sold before, and then run it into the ground over the next 5 to 10 years. We are acquiring staff rather than attracting them, and our reputation in the industry is starting to resemble that of three week old fish heads that have been left in the sun. You seriously need to look at the honest state of the morale as shown from anonymous surveying. Your people are your greatest asset, or were.

This cost cutting thing has exceeded it limits, and we are well into the diminishing returns space. We have replaced the long term staff who service our customers with less skilled new hires in low cost countries, and increased our prices. Our customers are not unaware of this and large numbers of long time previously very loyal customers are now failing to renew or start new projects with us. The well known maxim of how it is 5 times easier (i.e. cheaper) to sell to existing customers versus acquire new ones cannot be unknown to IBM leadership, but it is being ignored.

I will miss my friends in IBM, but I am not sticking around for the big crunch. I want to be secure in another company before IBM releases 100,000 IT professionals onto the job market all on the same day.

Don't think IBM will help you in career progression

Project Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsAccess to the largest library of technical information. Depending on what account you work on, you may be exposed to interesting but not bleeding edge technology.

ConsNo interest in allowing you to gain qualifications at IBM expense. You should plot your career progress yourself.
    Very bad managers are just moved around the organisation spreading their crap on others unfortunate to be on their team.
    Poor remuneration in relation to market rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of bad managers & apologise to staff who have had to put up with them.

Take what you can get/use and progress your career elsewhere

Security (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros(Some) great people, flexibility working from home or different locations, great brand reputation to have on your portfolio

ConsSo much political and hierarchical nonsense, so much red tape and paper work crap in the background. Cost cutting EVERYWHERE, so many jobs cut (both contractors and full-timers), barely any salary improvement unless you literally walk on water or something. They try to work you into the ground with ridiculous work hours with no extra compensations

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip, let go of all these stupid unrealistic objectives to reach a certain goal by 2015, its not going to happen. Wake up

Fantastic Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- The people
    - Countless opportunities to work across the business
    - Collaborative culture

Cons- Work/life balance was an issue

Great company. Your exposed to every part of a business and can always find somebody that knows the answer.

Client Executive In Ibm.com (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsPut me through a great sales training course. Invested heavily in me through corporate training events and mentors were great. Stood the test of time in the technology space. Lots of smart people that want to do good work. Very experiences corporate types. Great thought leadership. Does work that matters.

ConsSystems, Process, Culture needs to change to be more like Google, Facebook, Linkedin. Established culture where a more entrepreneur approach to sales might work better.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up the IBM stereotype. Take risks. Be more innovative in sales and business approach.

Very demanding and constant pressure

Delivery Executive (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsCulture of integrity, diversity, respect and teaming is excellent

ConsHours are long and extends to weekends

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in people

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!