www.ibm.com

12,328 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,925 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IBM Australia

Former Employee - Client Executive in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Client Executive in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Was one of the best places to work prior to 2015 Roadmap being drawn up. Some truly fantastic people in the organization and ability to grow within company. Flexibility around working from home is a great plus as well.

Cons

2015 Roadmap and very poor management in Australia. Inability to provide any form of leadership and no sense of ownership. Lack of vision coupled with inability to communicate. Very, very much an old boys club living on past glories. To many incompetent mangers shielding poor performing 'mates'.

Need to start treating employees like human beings. Continually manipulating the compensation plan and removing perks does very little for staff moral.

A company with great opportunities, but looses its way with its people from time to time

Former Employee - Outsourcing Delivery in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Outsourcing Delivery in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to move around a diverse organisation and experience numerous career-types all in one company. Work with software, work with hardware, work with services, etc.

Cons

IBM has a habit of regular organizational restructures; such a large, diverse organizations means communicating all the wheres, whys, hows, etc. is complicated. Most restructure experiences during my time seemed to result in not much direct influence in my work, etc. or completely turned things on their head

Don't lose sight of your people. You used to develop and encourage your people well, you seem to have lost sight of this over the past five years+

IBM

Current Employee - Client Technical Professional in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Client Technical Professional in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to own your own calendar and flexibility with working day.

Cons

Career mentoring does not exist.
    Commission is not linked to what you sell.
    Career progression is down to you and you are not guided.
    Lots of processes to follow.

Technical Specialist

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, work from home option. No fixed timings for work. You are fine as long as you complete 40 hours a week.

Cons

Too much of compliance work (Required by large customers). Not much effort on technology efficiency.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balanced.
    Giant company which has rich product and technology portfolio.

Cons

Very serious office politics.
    Discouraging manager behaviors.

Please divide the big company into several smaller ones to improve management transparency and efficiency.

Decent Salary for grads but it is a product of your own initiative

Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- great experience to project management and networking
    - team structure is bureaucratic leadership

Cons

- hard to be promoted
    - job security is a thing of the past

Long-term IBM employee

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at IBM part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for IBM over a very long period of time, they were able to offer me a lot of flexibility to incorporate some the changes I experienced in my person life. I think some of these flexibility options need to be earnt, rather than expected.

Cons

IBM is going through an extremely difficult period, with cost savings, revenue challenges and massive redundancies, making it very difficult current working conditions.

Working at IBM - The Big Blue Machine

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well designed processes with a large number of very competent employees.

Cons

It is a machine, all they care is how much profit they are making, no much consideration for employees.

Look after your employees more and support them.

Not what it once was

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work- life balance.
    Company values are on the surface, good, and were to me, however, whispers were that not all people treated the same way.

Cons

Cost-cutting environment and ongoing redundancies mean moral is through the floor.
    Poor wages compared to market rates.
    Process-bound.

Time for a new strategy, the current one has been failing for too long, so surely someone at the top has some new ideas?

An aging IT giant desperately trying to reinvent itself

Current Employee - Post Sales Software Support Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Post Sales Software Support Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Free access to books and training materials for all of their own products.
     - It is still seen as a prestigious name to work for, so it looks good on a resume.
     - Access to flexible work conditions to enable a better work-life balance.
     - Reasonable stability during the boom and bust peaks and troughs of the IT industry.

Cons

Where to start ?

98% of front line staff have very poor morale. So do the first three layers of management. However, as IBM has closer to 10 layers of management, that is something that senior management either is ignorant of or is happening far enough away that they don't care.

It is a huge bureaucracy, and there is an approved process for EVERYTHING. Some of these processes no longer make sense, as in they take longer, cost more and achieve nothing, but they are applied rigidly anyway. If you have ever worked for a large government department, then imagine that experience, squared.

The company is in the ninth year of increasing profitability (specifically earnings per share) despite having flat revenue by reducing costs. Decent payrises and bonuses are rare, approval for outside courses or training involving travel is close to impossible, employee benefits have been trimmed to the bone and further - e.g. no coffee in the offices, no Christmas party for staff.

Allegedly it is easy to have a varied career without ever leaving IBM by changing to many diverse roles within the company, but in practice your manager will block transfers for as long as possible because the process of getting replacement headcount takes 6 to 9 months.

What was once a leader in innovation is now the software industries version of an asset stripper. We buy a SW company, puff up their software and use our WW organisation to sell it like it never sold before, and then run it into the ground over the next 5 to 10 years. We are acquiring staff rather than attracting them, and our reputation in the industry is starting to resemble that of three week old fish heads that have been left in the sun. You seriously need to look at the honest state of the morale as shown from anonymous surveying. Your people are your greatest asset, or were.

This cost cutting thing has exceeded it limits, and we are well into the diminishing returns space. We have replaced the long term staff who service our customers with less skilled new hires in low cost countries, and increased our prices. Our customers are not unaware of this and large numbers of long time previously very loyal customers are now failing to renew or start new projects with us. The well known maxim of how it is 5 times easier (i.e. cheaper) to sell to existing customers versus acquire new ones cannot be unknown to IBM leadership, but it is being ignored.

I will miss my friends in IBM, but I am not sticking around for the big crunch. I want to be secure in another company before IBM releases 100,000 IT professionals onto the job market all on the same day.