IBM

12,337 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,930 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

525 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good company with great people

Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to have many careers within one company. Work with very smart and talented co-workers. Great history of contribution

Cons

Leadership forced to put too much focus on financial results from quarter to quarter. Excellent people are laid off when they could be redeployed within the company

Regain your respect for the individual

Network Architect

Former Employee - Network Architect in Glenn Heights, TX
    Former Employee - Network Architect in Glenn Heights, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Contract transistion end on the two I particpated in.

Cons

None that I see, I see that I can come in an be asset right away based of job description

Work Life balance

A lifetime of opportunity

Current Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The depth of experience, personal support, and learning opportunities you have available is substantial. Your ability to influence where you take your career within IBM, is very real and enabling. You have the insights of a well experienced team and through internal options you can collaborate around the globe on ideas and projects.

Cons

Large organizations often get more difficult for targeting rapid change, based on the culture. This is no different at IBM, but it has changed momentum significantly over the last several years, picking up speed in each passing month.

Become advocates as change agents at all levels. This is happening, just not fast enough in some areas.

Great Working Environment

Current Employee - Software Product Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Product Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Work/ Personal life balance
    Focus on education
    Great people
    Fun working enviornment

Cons

Sometimes there are "too many cooks in the kitchen" when working on projects

Big Blue and lots of Red Tape!

Former Employee - Global Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Global Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM does allow many people to work from home and this cuts down on the stress of traffic and enhances time with your family. Additionally, your peers are some of the most highly respected professionals in their area and it is easy to learn from them. IBM is a big brand name and that power opens doors into B2B clients and business partners.

Cons

Higher management acts as if there hair is on fire and that you need to put it out! There is actually screaming in some business meetings as we are trying gain a common road. Decisions that are made at one meeting are undone at the next and you never know what decision to follow - makes it hard to "get it right".

Pleasant environment but too mundane.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Area was very nice. Management was wonderful, great people.

Cons

Office was very run down and dull. Compensation was mediocre.

Speak up.

Intern Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Work is challenging and interesting. The mentoring program is very beneficial. I learned a lot from shadowing my mentor. As far as intern compensation goes IBM offers competitive pay.

Cons

No office culture. I can go a whole day without seeing or talking to anyone.
    My manager rarely reaches out to interns, my mentor was more like a manager

Employees are well cared for, but the organizational structure of the company is a disaster.

Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are solid, lots of vacation, good insurance, and I'm working with an extremely talented team.

Cons

The org structure prevents real work for getting done and there's constant pressure to help the company as it struggles. Despite promises and going above and beyond for my group, I've been blocked from promotion.

There has to be more buy in from mid level secs for design thinking, or products are going to continue to fail. Give your employees a chance to grow a little in their careers instead of treating them like replaceable cogs.

If you want to learn, travel the world and get paid to do it, start your career at IBM.

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Over the past 3 years I've had 3 different jobs at IBM. Each with it's own unique challenges and opportunities. The best part about the experience- the people. IBM attracts some of the smartest people on earth and it's a great privileged to work with and learn from them. Second best part is the work life balance. I work from home, as such I have a lot of flexibility to get out for a walk at lunch time or run an errand in the afternoon without it impacting my day negatively.

Cons

Management is hit and miss. We have some amazing managers who execute flawlessly, but at the expense of their employees. Employees get frustrated and either put up with managers who degrade, insult, and overall infuriate them or they leave. A 360 review process that enables employees to review managers would solve this. Some people just weren't meant to manage people- and that's okay, let's just move them into roles where they can continue impacting the business positively and give there people to better managers.

It's time to "Restlessly Reinvent" of our compensation structure.Why is it that I do the same job as my colleagues and return equal or better outcomes and yet am compensated so much lower (20-30% as per Glassdoor) just because I've been here 2 years instead of 10+. Stop compensating people for the "length of time" they've been at the company. I take on projects that go above and beyond and deliver and yet still am not being fairly compensated. Compensation should be normalized for performance / outcomes, not for time you survive the company. Just my .02. If you're a manager it should be tied to both a review by your manager and by your employees. As another reviewer said, let's trim some of the dead wood and elevate those who both perform and manage their people well.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful training program, caring mentors and management
    Overall and awesome experience and would do it all over again

Cons

So much red tape and bureaucracy, need more women in upper management, need better transparency with employees