IBM

Updated Apr 16, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

not that bad as people used to say lately.

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsLot of interesting people, most of them are very competent and for others your wondering how come they work there ? good benefits, good works life balance, gives a lot of freedom to choose what to work on and fair compesation.

ConsPerformance review system is subjective, which is in fact in the whole US starting from school, promotions are often give on friendships, something I thought to be specific to more like eastern worlds.

The working schedule is flexible, meaning that is 40h / week, but in reality this flexibility has its price, so is more then 40 h / week definitely.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote more transparency into the system.

Good place to start

Equipmetn Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsVery well recognized company and leader in it's industry. Flexible working conditions as well as ability for mobile office and movement with in the company.

ConsToo many managers for and top heavy on the executive level. Hard to advance with moving around a lot and or leaving the company and coming back.

Advice to Senior ManagementVet your managers better and make sure they are up to and know the job they will be performing. Too much overlap in responsibilities.

Good place to learn technology

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsTechnology leader in some fields. Flexible work schedule. Good work and life balance. A place to work which will make you a little bit proud.

ConsOutsourcing is always a continuous challenging for its US employees who worries about job stability. Lotus Notes is so slow and sucks, and IBM employees have to use it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIBM used to be a good place to work for its reputable Big Blue name. Now it's just one of those big employers who outsources, hires and layoffs whenever market's demand changes. Don't bet your career on it. Try to manage your career yourself.

IBM sales

I have been working at IBM

ProsGreat telecommute, excellent global opportunities. High tech market. IBM recognized as a world leader and future focused company offering exciting career opportunity if you are willing to put in the time.

ConsNot a great channel friendly company. IBM spends too much time competing against our channel. IBM recognized as a world leader and future focused company offering exciting career opportunity if you are willing to put in the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time and energy investing in
business partners. Spend marketing dollars on product ad ertising instead of relying on partners to build a market

Start today ...For Experience

Software Engineer Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsLarge company opportunities to branch off in varying careers. Many locations that also allow for mobility to move near or away from love ones. Software and service driven company so the sale of commodities is not included as part of the company structure. Only enterprise and Medium / Small business services and products are extended

ConsThe promotion system if very subjective. Great talkers but poor workers get frequent recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst line managers need to be either Project Managers or People Managers and not try to fill the role of both.

Interesting work, but high pressure and insufficient resources

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsGood people to work with and the work can be interesting.

ConsThere is never enough time or people to do the work we're given. There is very high pressure to get any problem resolved immediately. Nights and weekend work is common, without compensation. There is little recognition for doing a job well the first time. But if you make a mistake and then correct it, then people notice that you fixed something, even though you were to the one to break it to begin with. As in many places, those that talk the loudest are those that advance, even if what they are so loudly talking about is nonsense.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us better support and the resources we need to accomplish our work.

Good money - No life; IBM Systems and Technology

Advisory Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

ProsIf you have NO life and are willing to work 70 to 90 hours a week, you will be paid well.

ConsIn order to get ahead and not be laid off, you will need to sacrifice your personal life in order to put the hours in that the job will demand. For example, I had 4:30 am conference calls with a contracting group in Romania with deliverables due on Saturdays. Further, there are too many "Queen Bees" involved in Systems and Technology who get accolades for 1000 page design documents written such that contractors cannot comprehend them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe siloed approach to usability within a product set (and not distributed across all of IBM) allows for a more detailed and competent set of employees to benefit said product set. The distributed approach across all products prevents in-depth knowledge of a specific product set.

Set your expectations low, really low and plan to move to a different company in a few years

Advisory Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsIf you are not ambitious and not passionate about your work, if you don't expect much in terms of professional respect, opportunities, fair compensation and fine with being layed off at any time, this might be a company worth considering.

ConsIBM internal performance review rules promote meritocracy. You can work very hard, accomplish a great deal and still be given a bad or average performance rating just because you were not visible enough to the right people or simply because it was your time to take one for the team. Most employees I know of have given up on trying to improve anything in the products. People are in "survivor" mode - minimum effort for maximum benefit and don't stick your neck out. A lot of truly talented technical people have either left on their own or were layed off. People that seems to be staying behind are poor souls that are stuck at IBM for some reason, or those who play internal politics well.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat the hell are you doing? You are destroying this company's future potential for innovation and, in many cases, simply for ability to release and maintain products. You are treating employees just as resources without regard for their skills and abilities. Talented people that made this company what it is today retire, resign or are layed off. Your new hires, contractors and global resources have no skills to match people that are leaving. And they will never have those skills because there is nobody left who can teach them. Those kind of skills can't be obtained in 30 or 60 days either. They take years to develop.

Extensive opportunities but top ranks are very closed (and close to retirement).

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsWell developed training and skills development helps career development.

ConsHuge size makes it difficult to keep on top of what is going on.
Top ranks are extremely difficult to attain, and heavily populated by a population close to retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve the perspectives of younger thought leaders. IBM is seen publicly as a company of old, closed minded, traditionalists very often because of the lack of younger stars in positions of significance. You have smart people, but they aren't very visible externally.

IBM Software Group

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM

ProsOpportunities are endless. Mobility between jobs is highly encouraged. Work/Life balance is fantastic. Exposure to global business as well as socio-cultural challenges.

ConsUncompetitive pay. Management communication lacks frankness.

Advice to Senior Managementto stop losing your talented employees, make the pay competitive with the industry.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Tucson, AZ — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.