IBM

Updated January 10, 2015
2.7

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

100 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Mostly positive experience, some negative points mostly to do with big corporate business

Former Employee - CAD Engineer in Williston, VT
    Former Employee - CAD Engineer in Williston, VT

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and great perks. Vacation was plentiful and negotiable. Many experts all around to consult and gleam knowledge from. Flexible work from home options.

Cons

Easy to get lost in the fray. Difficult to transition roles or change departments. IT support staff was non-existent. Engineers had to constantly solve their own IT / networking issues, taking critical time away from the real job. Performance evaluations are a farce. IBM is changing its business model and is probably abandoning the semiconductor manufacturing business, which might explain the decline in support staff.

Cease splitting up teams around the world.

IBM company review

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very dedicated and hard working employees

Cons

Too many levels of management. First line managers are not generally technical.

None

Review

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Essex, VT
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Essex, VT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Great work environment and culture

Cons

no benefits, frequent layout, no job security

needs job security

Getting worse all the time

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Essex Junction, VT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Essex Junction, VT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

I've always been happy with how flexible the job has been. If you need time for a doctor's appt or something, you just take the time. No one is looking over my shoulder or tracking anything. Working from home is an option, and also flexible. I've also had great teams, and most of my managers have been good. Overall it has been a positive experience.

Cons

Salary - very poor, not competitive with other companies, and getting worse as the Burlington fab has been the anchor on Ginni's plans.
    Morale - yearly layoff's have taken their toll. Nearly everyone I talk to is grumpy and pissed at IBM. It's really made it an unhappy place to work. I used to enjoy my job, now I'm mostly putting in my time.

My immediate (first level) management has always been good but they are completely limited by the decisions of upper level management. Those decisions have caused our best engineers to leave for other companies and 1st level management has nothing they can do about it. High level management needs to care about their employees more than their shareholders or they will drive the company into the ground.

It WAS a Great Company

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Essex Junction, VT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Essex Junction, VT

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Time off; Direct management trust and communication.

Cons

Too many benefits removed or eroded in the last 10 years.

Try to stabilize the work environment. Too many changes happening too fast.

High pressure, low pay

Current Employee - Operator in Essex, VT
    Current Employee - Operator in Essex, VT

I have been working at IBM

Pros

It is a job, its shaky

Cons

Everything but the kitchen sink

Pay the people who do the work

Death spiral

Current Employee - Professional in Essex, VT
    Current Employee - Professional in Essex, VT

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Its kept me gainfully employed for quite some time (but at quite a cost of forseeing all the layoffs and becoming a pro at the game of musical chairs). Being able to work and live in VT was a real plus!

Thank god GF is buying the place, its been in an ongoing death spiral the past 5 years with no investment or real strategy.

Cons

Salary and benefits are really just average, no better then anywhere else. Constant threat of layoffs. Profit sharing plan is better known as "the annual insult"

I wont waste my breath.

Test operator at the IBM Burlington Test Center

Current Employee - Test Lead Operator/Trainer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Test Lead Operator/Trainer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment. When problems pop-up or developing stragies for processes, all hands on deck far as us operators engineers and management for the issue envolved. Standard works , 8-steps and Lean hashelp the process run a lot smother. Vacation and benifits are fairlly good.

Cons

With talks of layoffs and being sold to Global the moral could be better. Because our division has not turn a profit. Pay raises and bonuses have been fewer and far in between. Because the stress level is way down from what it was for the main reason of lot smother running process all employees about all employees are more confidant and mature in their work process never the less the evaluation one is rated to the peers in the department and the manager must come up with with a low end employee that gets put on probation and ether quick's or is let go.

If a department or work project is firing on all cylinders means all are contributing and the lower downs is not being a drag on the top contributes. a manager should be giving the option of not putting the low end employee through the probation program.

Supply Chain Analyst

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) People are great, willing to help
    2) IBM is great name to have on resume
    3) Good way to start career

Cons

1) Lack of formal training, disorganized management strategy
    2) Lack of opportunity to advance due to bad performance in the division, promotions and raise are hard to come by
    3) Managers expect you to work weekends and after hours - although the hours can be flexible
    4) Managers disconnected with what employees actual do - inability to make business decisions, decisions and works progresses very slowly
    5) Culture lacks energy and employees lack work ethnics - most people are ready to retire no incentive to work hard

Identify high potential employees and understand how they like to advance their career - gain new skills, new job, promotion, good rating, professional training & etc. AND DO SOMETHING TO HELP THEM TO HELP THE COMPANY

Good pay, poor environment

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Williston, VT
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Williston, VT

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The starting salary for a recent college graduate was unmatched by other companies. Lots of opportunities to learn and get patents. Work is challenging, my first line manager was great.

Cons

Environment is awful. Employees have no motivation due to poor company direction (ASICs/Hardware). No one knows if we're going to have jobs, which leads to little desire to do anything more than 40 hours a week. What a shame.

Get any employee funding for advanced education. Encourage employees.