IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

139 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Training, Poor Opportunities

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIBM's size makes it a good place to start a career, there's a good work/life balance, and its reputation opens doors with other companies.

ConsThe bureaucracy can make work extremely challenging, there is limited opportunity for advancement, and salary is at or below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward top performers and don't stifle their growth by saddling them with the quotas of their peers.

Work and People are Just OK

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPay was above average. I got a nice jump to come here from PwC (where it seemed impossible to get a raise) and a nice raise my first year. My second year I got a promotion with a nice jump too.

ConsThe quality of the people overall was not impressive. I was pretty surprised by this. And they use a lot of subcontractors - also of low quality. Finally, they push all their products as the solution to every problem and these products do not integrate well together.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of the non-performers

Overworked but well paid

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat salary and benefits
    Great people
    Good work flexibility

ConsConstant dumping of workload on people as they fire thousands
    Expectations are undeliverable
    Pressure to deliver is unrealistic
    Internal competition is off the charts
    Very little chance for advancement unless you are cut throat

Advice to Senior Management-Give people a realistic schedule that they can meet and make the Personal Business Commitments something that can be achieved, instead of a way to penalize people, when you weren't giving them a high rating anyway, because you don't have any to give.
    -Bring back a sense of community and loyalty in teams.
    -People should not constantly fear for their jobs, it makes it hard to be productive.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Advisory IT Specialist

Advisory IT Specialist (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThere are lots of opportunities to be exposed to different technologies if you have a great people network to be able to jump between projects.

ConsEvery year there will be different goal or focus area, and most of them are in addition to what you expected or your job description. Performance review process is always on need-to-know base, and most of the time you have to go through a complex petition in order to have a reasonable compensation adjustment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the technologies and methodologies will truly enable yourself to manage your employees and tasks and set up expectation.

Experience is hit or miss based on project assignment and direct manager.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsJob security, great benefits & vacation time, decent salary

ConsDifficult promotion process, evaluation metrics are not always well tailored to "real life"

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make decisions without actually thinking through the impact to all employees.

It really is a sweatshop.

Washington, DC

ProsI can't think of too many - the pay is just OK for the area,

Cons-frequent layoffs keep the workforce terrorized
    - utilization targets effectively negate any vacation benefits - all time off must be made up
    -promotions are almost impossible to come by, and if one does get promoted, then one is penalized for being "too expensive" for new projects

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of several layers of management so that the utilization targets are obtainable without burning out the staff. Stop the constant layoffs.

IBM

IT Specialist (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsVast knowledge base, ability to move laterally if you are looking to move to a different position. Tech refreshes have been executed very quickly. Free use of IBM spaces.

ConsPoor promotional structure, intranet is extremely confusing and cumbersome to navigate. Company email is full of spam, forwards, and 'entire sector' emails, it's difficult to manage what deserves your attention.

good company and great reputation

Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Prosgreat reputation, lots of opportunities

Conshuge to navigate through and difficult to get support for HR related questions

Advice to Senior Managementremember, employees are people

No leadership or management, horrible culture

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsFlexibility, great coworkers, decent salaries, chance to work with international colleagues

ConsDeceptive leadership
    Lack of respect for employees
    Everyone refers to their layoff as "not if, but when"
    "Wal Mart of consulting" - projects are staff augmentation
    Benefits greatly reduced
    Company won't pay for any expenses

Advice to Senior ManagementStart at the top - it is the execs who are destroying the company, not the workers. You say we aren't delivering for customers, but who is responsible. If it truly the workers failing, then it is your hiring and training causing the problem. But let's be honest: you keep cutting resources, provide no support, and then wonder why we are failing. More and more of your top talent are either laid off or have left voluntarily. The rest of us (yes, top rated) are just waiting for the severance because we know we can get a job easily elsewhere when we are the one selected to go. And, it is telling that while you have lots of openings, those laid off can't transfer to one of those without a HUGE amount of executive intervention.

Great company for self-motivated people - be careful if you are used to being micro-managed!

Client Technical Specialist (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat work/life balance, many bright employees, specialized resources available for almost any challenge.

ConsCan be difficult to navigate through the many groups at IBM to find the resource you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore patience, less knee jerk reactions when it comes to establishing sales territories and sales strategy.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 139 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.