IBM

12,359 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,939 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

270 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work. Smart employees, lots of project work to choose from.

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance, lots of project work and diverse staff.

Cons

Salary, raises and bonuses

3 years and no raises for top performers is why people leave.

Technical Sales Manager

Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really, really great people. Nothing not to like and respect about other IBMers

Cons

Leadership. The 2015 plan sucked a ton of flexibility and energy out of IBM's innovation and execution.
    Cost cost cutting has been painful with respect to things that really matter (salaries and innovation investments)

Boosting dividends seems more about boosting executive pay at the expense of the ability to innovate. The reinvestment rate is less than what it could have been.

Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for, good management

Cons

Not too many projects on the pipe line

Move candidates faster

IBM was a great starting point for my career...but growth can be limited

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM has great resources and my co-workers were fabulous mentors and friends to me.

Cons

Most of my co-workers left to pursue more rewarding (both fiscally and task-wise) jobs.

Align the incentive program so that the best individuals you have stop walking out the door

IBM has been a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My manager is very flexible, it seems like most managers will allow you to work from home at least a portion of the week. Many resources are available too, being such a big and established firm.

Cons

Having so many employees can make you feel unimportant. You have such a small hand dealt to you in regards to the grand scheme of things. Can sometimes make your work feel unimportant.

Dehumanizing

Current Employee - Senior Service Delivery Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Service Delivery Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people with whom I worked were pros for this organization - some of my peers, the technical line staff, and occasionally an executive who understands the balance of delivering well with ensuring overdelivery is avoided. Executives take the manager's side on most manager-employee disputes.

Cons

They offer very poor compensation vs. the market, and offer no consideration of work-life balance. People at sub-executive levels literally live in fear of "resource actions" that are executed annually to move more resources offshore for a (currently) favorable price model. Repositioning the truth to the customer to reflect internal changes in policy or strategy is commonplace.

If you choose to work for them in this capacity, expect overwork (80-90 hours/week without a break for months and months on end). IBM promotes and encourages an overarching corporate drive to move all domestic resources offshore for no quality reasons, but to simply offer the customer a cheaper deal.

Excellent

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Right place for talented professionals

Cons

Too many layers of management

Encourage new talent and new ideas

A great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Predictable work schedule and plenty opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Limited move up opportunities and other career opportunities

Need to be more creative on top of procedure and process

Bought when company bought in 2002, feels like a body shop, disconnected from corporate mainstream.

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity if you're willing to put in the hours, follow their policies and practices, and get a little bit lucky selling business and working for and with good people, of whom there are plenty. Decent benefits. Lots of resources, but can be difficult to locate, access, and utilize

Cons

Living with no raise in the last six years because I'm not rated in the top 5% of performers. Performance rated by people who know nothing about you and have very limited input and criteria. Promotions available but require tedious documentation, changing criteria, evaluation by people who again know nothing about you, other than what you put on your personal sales document soliciting a promotion, and have sales expectations, which is not where I or many want to go. No pension any more and 401K contribution diminishing.

If your intent is to foster and nurture a culture of self-serving employees, who's first concern is themselves rather than the client or the company, in all ways and at all times, then you are doing just fine. Personally, I didn't grow up and have not lived my life to be self-serving but to contribute, earn my reasonable share, and be part of something bigger than myself with purposes bigger than myself. That's not what I see your management style inculcating, rather, the exact opposite. I'll be leaving before too long; good luck with that style, be surprised at what it yields.

Good People Poor work enviroment

Former Employee - Power Systems Sales in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Power Systems Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The talent of people that you are able to work with in great and motivated. You have the ability to gain customers attention and start a conversation easily by stating you are from IBM and I would like to talk to you about .....

Cons

Cumbersome processes which make you feel that you are not in control or that your view point matters. Can not reach fast to customers questions and always need to set expectations that solutions or answers may take several days

listen to the smart field sales people and organize the company to help them meet and beat customer expectations instead of having them catch arrows for sluggish responses