IBM

12,149 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,848 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1321 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1289 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 416 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 209 reviews)

More Highlights

269 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Reasonable

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Various oppportunities such as vairous roles

Cons

Salary is not as expected with cost of living

Great company to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of resources to learn. Great people. Flexible hours, depending on your project. Exposure to different projects and experiences.

Cons

Hard to move up in a big company. No raises at all.

There has to be something better out there

Current Employee - Senior SAP Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior SAP Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having IBM on your resume looks nice, medical benefits are good, really is trial by fire so you really have to learn quickly.

Cons

Forget everything they've ever said in onboarding or while talking to executives - IBM's primary goal is their bottom line and to them people are disposable. They do a poor job of selling and writing contracts and the workers bees have to deal with the repercussions of undersold contracts and not enough projects in the pipeline for when we hit the bench. Compensation is terrible, you will not make the market value for your skillset unless you come in at that rate and the possibility of ever achieving that rate is slim to none otherwise.

EXTREMELY POOR MANAGEMENT - since IBM is so quick to lay off, how about laying off all of these poor managers and recruiting new managers who actually add value. Mid Level Managers are dismissive, rude, condescending and add absolutely NO value (resource staffing personnel included). Good luck getting an answer or assistance with anything unless you have their boss' boss copied on the email. Good luck on getting funding for training/education expenses. Sure, they tell you they provide assistance but really they don't because there is never any available funding for it.

Application Developer career at IBM

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A wonderful company with employee friendly policies. Mother of computer , it has vast opportunities in different vertical and countries. It does the business pretty much in all fields related to IT, spanning over consultancy, infrastructure,software, services and research.

Cons

A great company with lot of bureaucracy , a lot of unnecessary process and documentation became cause of inefficiency. Poor business model encourage sales over software development. They are becoming inefficient day by day due to burden of its own legacy and inertia against change

Don't focus on documentation to measure employee performance. Management need to realize , people run the company not the company run people. Help subordinates to grow up

Big Blues

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great name for your resume, opportunity to get experience in different industries. IBM will over pay for people to come into their company

Cons

Working from home gets old fast. Unlikely you'll become a CEO or executive from your couch.

Program manager

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere for professional development and upward mobility, very diverse culture!

Cons

No cons I can report in my tenure there

What have you done for me TODAY because yesterday does not matter!

Former Employee - Associate Partner in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Partner in Chantilly, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work in different projects and clients.

Cons

Management has no loyalty for its employees. Employees are considered inventory rather than people. Change and growth enabled unqualified people to rise to executive positions. I was rated a 2+ and the following year my client had a large cut in their budget. Consequently, the client cut every contract in place and rescinded existing opportunities. Although my client directed as much work as possible to us, my sales were significantly down from the prior year when I was rated a 2+. Although I had been part of the organization from pre-PWC days and I was known for excellent to outstanding work, I was summarily fired although IBM tried to sugar coat it by saying there were too many employees at my level. This classification was a joke as they promoted others to band 10 during the same review. One of the employees promoted to band 10 had been fired by a client for doing a poor job yet the employee was promoted.

Complete review of executives to identify those employees that are open to constructive criticism and do not punish employees that offer constructive criticism and suggest alternatives. Promote executives based on talent and experience rather than personal appearance, willingness to party and golf, and personal relationships

Senior Consultant Public Sector

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not many, access to a lot of material but no real director on how to use it.

Cons

Mis-management, inability to grow talent and grossly out of touch with their client base. IBM will continue to lose public sector contracts over the next decade.

Hands on management there is none

20 years and gone !

Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked from home successfully for last 12 of my 20 years with the company. Management trusted their employees and supported the work-at-home model.

Cons

I think my story is common at IBM - once you're in your 50s with many years of success and service and making a bit more money, your position is eliminated through re-organization. What's worse, the internal job posting system uses keywords instead of people to sift through internal transfers and applications.

Think about the experience that your more mature employees add to your business. And if the position of a top performing employee is truly being eliminated, try placing them in another position before pushing them out the door.

Overall, my experience at IBM was very good. It was a great place to begin a consulting career.

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly smart, hard-working individuals work as consultants at IBM. The company name opens a lot of doors and provides instant credibility. There is a lot of room to grow and if you work for the right people, you will be given opportunities.

Cons

The work-life balance is OK as far as consulting goes. You work hard, but most people at the company do as well. The compensation is a little below average from what I can tell. With respect to training, there are a lot of online training resources available, but in-person, in-class training is very limited and is the first thing to be cut when the economy goes south.

As with most consultancies, the major emphasis is on "utilization," which more experienced consultants may be able to affect, but entry-level ones have very little power over, so this can be frustrating.

My biggest beef with IBM is that it is a constantly changing environment in the sense that there always seems to be a re-organization going on so it is hard for employees to understand how they fit in. Also, I do not believe they truly understand/appreciate strategy consulting. They know IT strategy, but not pure strategy because they focus on big, long-term, multi-year contracts, which is not how strategy consulting works.

Figure out a better incentive system for employees that eliminates competition among business units.