IBM

Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for, good management

Cons

Not too many projects on the pipe line

Move candidates faster

IBM was a great starting point for my career...but growth can be limited

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IBM has great resources and my co-workers were fabulous mentors and friends to me.

Cons

Most of my co-workers left to pursue more rewarding (both fiscally and task-wise) jobs.

Align the incentive program so that the best individuals you have stop walking out the door

IBM has been a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My manager is very flexible, it seems like most managers will allow you to work from home at least a portion of the week. Many resources are available too, being such a big and established firm.

Cons

Having so many employees can make you feel unimportant. You have such a small hand dealt to you in regards to the grand scheme of things. Can sometimes make your work feel unimportant.

Dehumanizing

Current Employee - Senior Service Delivery Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Service Delivery Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people with whom I worked were pros for this organization - some of my peers, the technical line staff, and occasionally an executive who understands the balance of delivering well with ensuring overdelivery is avoided. Executives take the manager's side on most manager-employee disputes.

Cons

They offer very poor compensation vs. the market, and offer no consideration of work-life balance. People at sub-executive levels literally live in fear of "resource actions" that are executed annually to move more resources offshore for a (currently) favorable price model. Repositioning the truth to the customer to reflect internal changes in policy or strategy is commonplace.

If you choose to work for them in this capacity, expect overwork (80-90 hours/week without a break for months and months on end). IBM promotes and encourages an overarching corporate drive to move all domestic resources offshore for no quality reasons, but to simply offer the customer a cheaper deal.

Welcome to a new world run by robots

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

IBM as a legacy technology culture is one of the all time greats. Unfortunately, they have been going through an identity crisis for the past 40 years, and it isn't getting any better. Instead of inventing the future, they seem to want to copy other people's innovative business ideas, all the while filing new patent after patent on stuff they never product-ize. That said, they have a lot of brilliant people and a lot of opportunities across the map.

Cons

Putting up with the robots that run the show, and the Sales/Business development people they report to. They waste a lot of employees time with stupid useless extra-curricular stuff. They are clearly in decline in terms of technical leadership.

Understand that people in their 20s and 30s have an entirely different career arc that people in their 50s and 60s. Trying to treat a technologist with 40 years of experience the same as a kid who just graduated with a CS degree is an enormous mistake. The company is too big. Break it up into several smaller companies--the synergy is no longer working for you.

Bought when company bought in 2002, feels like a body shop, disconnected from corporate mainstream.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity if you're willing to put in the hours, follow their policies and practices, and get a little bit lucky selling business and working for and with good people, of whom there are plenty. Decent benefits. Lots of resources, but can be difficult to locate, access, and utilize

Cons

Living with no raise in the last six years because I'm not rated in the top 5% of performers. Performance rated by people who know nothing about you and have very limited input and criteria. Promotions available but require tedious documentation, changing criteria, evaluation by people who again know nothing about you, other than what you put on your personal sales document soliciting a promotion, and have sales expectations, which is not where I or many want to go. No pension any more and 401K contribution diminishing.

If your intent is to foster and nurture a culture of self-serving employees, who's first concern is themselves rather than the client or the company, in all ways and at all times, then you are doing just fine. Personally, I didn't grow up and have not lived my life to be self-serving but to contribute, earn my reasonable share, and be part of something bigger than myself with purposes bigger than myself. That's not what I see your management style inculcating, rather, the exact opposite. I'll be leaving before too long; good luck with that style, be surprised at what it yields.

Excellent

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Right place for talented professionals

Cons

Too many layers of management

Encourage new talent and new ideas

Great time

Former Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

International environment
    Lots of training
    Good coworkers

Cons

Poor benefits and salary
    No work life balance

n/a

A great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Predictable work schedule and plenty opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Limited move up opportunities and other career opportunities

Need to be more creative on top of procedure and process

OK for a first job out of college, but I know much better opportunities are out there

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High paying, met a lot of great people, good vacation time but hard to use it

Cons

Management needs work. It's hard to see the impact or appreciation of your day-to-day efforts.