IBM

12,721 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,091 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

281 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A lot of indoctrination and dishonesty

Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cyber Security in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are coming, as a seasoned professional, do bargain and max out your offer and the sign-up bonus, You can get a very, very competitive offer when you just come aboard.

If you play by the rules, don't drop any balls, and follow the crowd, you will have job security and peace of mind.

Cons

There is no any real raises after you are hired. There will be some symbolic raises and bonuses, but they are not worth mentioning.
    Be ready to work 44 hours a week or more, and get peanuts in return for extra hours.

I have seen companies that really strive to develop their employees and facilitate educational endeavors. At IBM, you have to do it in your own personal time and at your own expense. No conference attendance.... No free access to even IBM-owned tools that you would love to master... After 10 years with IBM, you still won't know what Rational tools do, even if you really would love to know. Yeah, you can take an online course about Rational stuff, but you won't have access to any simulation environment or the actual tools!

You will come in a professional expert in the latest technology and tools, and in 2-3 years you will have no knowledge of current stuff and won't even know about the latest tools...

Also, they spend about 40% more time of various compliance mandatory educational courses that majority of employees don't really understand and are not interested in knowing.... In private, they despise of of "those non-sense courses".

There will be constant drumbeat about integrity and honesty... They will offer a fairly low billable rate to the client, and then will saddle that client with a 44-hour base week, 20+ part-time support employees (that will cause headaches to PM and overruns to the project), and an over-bloated team of 20 guys for the job that can be done by 10. But.... who got ever fired for hiring IBM? ))

Read the Cons and consider.

I work with good people, but unfortunately the company is mostly driven by meeting EPS goals.

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Smart employees, Good for gaining leadership experience, Company still has a lot of prestige (looks good on resume), Competitive Starting Salary & Benefits

Cons

Slow & Tedious Promotion Process (You essentially have to write 16 essays on why you deserve a promotion and this is with the new "less cumbersome" Go Organic process). Executive pay is tied to EPS Goals and any failure to meet those goals rolls down on employees and effects compensation. Company changed 401(k) matching so that match is paid in lump sum to 401(k) at the end of the year. You miss out on investment growth throughout the year and if you leave before 15 December, you don't receive any match for the entire year.

Stop being a slave to EPS goals and invest in your people, who are your most valuable assets.

Reasonable

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Various oppportunities such as vairous roles

Cons

Salary is not as expected with cost of living

Great company to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of resources to learn. Great people. Flexible hours, depending on your project. Exposure to different projects and experiences.

Cons

Hard to move up in a big company. No raises at all.

Application Developer career at IBM

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A wonderful company with employee friendly policies. Mother of computer , it has vast opportunities in different vertical and countries. It does the business pretty much in all fields related to IT, spanning over consultancy, infrastructure,software, services and research.

Cons

A great company with lot of bureaucracy , a lot of unnecessary process and documentation became cause of inefficiency. Poor business model encourage sales over software development. They are becoming inefficient day by day due to burden of its own legacy and inertia against change

Don't focus on documentation to measure employee performance. Management need to realize , people run the company not the company run people. Help subordinates to grow up

There has to be something better out there

Current Employee - Senior SAP Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior SAP Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having IBM on your resume looks nice, medical benefits are good, really is trial by fire so you really have to learn quickly.

Cons

Forget everything they've ever said in onboarding or while talking to executives - IBM's primary goal is their bottom line and to them people are disposable. They do a poor job of selling and writing contracts and the workers bees have to deal with the repercussions of undersold contracts and not enough projects in the pipeline for when we hit the bench. Compensation is terrible, you will not make the market value for your skillset unless you come in at that rate and the possibility of ever achieving that rate is slim to none otherwise.

EXTREMELY POOR MANAGEMENT - since IBM is so quick to lay off, how about laying off all of these poor managers and recruiting new managers who actually add value. Mid Level Managers are dismissive, rude, condescending and add absolutely NO value (resource staffing personnel included). Good luck getting an answer or assistance with anything unless you have their boss' boss copied on the email. Good luck on getting funding for training/education expenses. Sure, they tell you they provide assistance but really they don't because there is never any available funding for it.

Big Blues

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great name for your resume, opportunity to get experience in different industries. IBM will over pay for people to come into their company

Cons

Working from home gets old fast. Unlikely you'll become a CEO or executive from your couch.

What have you done for me TODAY because yesterday does not matter!

Former Employee - Associate Partner in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Partner in Chantilly, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work in different projects and clients.

Cons

Management has no loyalty for its employees. Employees are considered inventory rather than people. Change and growth enabled unqualified people to rise to executive positions. I was rated a 2+ and the following year my client had a large cut in their budget. Consequently, the client cut every contract in place and rescinded existing opportunities. Although my client directed as much work as possible to us, my sales were significantly down from the prior year when I was rated a 2+. Although I had been part of the organization from pre-PWC days and I was known for excellent to outstanding work, I was summarily fired although IBM tried to sugar coat it by saying there were too many employees at my level. This classification was a joke as they promoted others to band 10 during the same review. One of the employees promoted to band 10 had been fired by a client for doing a poor job yet the employee was promoted.

Complete review of executives to identify those employees that are open to constructive criticism and do not punish employees that offer constructive criticism and suggest alternatives. Promote executives based on talent and experience rather than personal appearance, willingness to party and golf, and personal relationships

Senior Consultant Public Sector

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not many, access to a lot of material but no real director on how to use it.

Cons

Mis-management, inability to grow talent and grossly out of touch with their client base. IBM will continue to lose public sector contracts over the next decade.

Hands on management there is none

20 years and gone !

Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked from home successfully for last 12 of my 20 years with the company. Management trusted their employees and supported the work-at-home model.

Cons

I think my story is common at IBM - once you're in your 50s with many years of success and service and making a bit more money, your position is eliminated through re-organization. What's worse, the internal job posting system uses keywords instead of people to sift through internal transfers and applications.

Think about the experience that your more mature employees add to your business. And if the position of a top performing employee is truly being eliminated, try placing them in another position before pushing them out the door.