www.ibm.com

12,700 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,081 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

281 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

20 years and gone !

Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Database/Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked from home successfully for last 12 of my 20 years with the company. Management trusted their employees and supported the work-at-home model.

Cons

I think my story is common at IBM - once you're in your 50s with many years of success and service and making a bit more money, your position is eliminated through re-organization. What's worse, the internal job posting system uses keywords instead of people to sift through internal transfers and applications.

Think about the experience that your more mature employees add to your business. And if the position of a top performing employee is truly being eliminated, try placing them in another position before pushing them out the door.

Current Employee - SAP Consultant-GBS in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant-GBS in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great money for someone coming out of college
    Good benefits
    Room for growth
    People are candid

Cons

Training is rigorous
    Information is thrown at you quickly
    They expect for you to catch on to practices without thoroughly explaining

Smart people and good for resume, but not a great experience

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are really smart. Great for the resume, as IBM is a pretty well respected company. My coworkers have left for great tech companies and top 5 business schools. Good benefits (but getting worse).

Cons

Hard to get recognition for good work. You're only as good as your PBC rating (IBM's end of year rating system), which can get pretty political and bureaucratic. Management is out of touch with employees and how they feel about the company. People at my level are VERY negative about IBM. Lots of turnover. In Public Sector you can get stuck on a project forever (I've been on the same one for my entire time at IBM and would have to burn a lot of bridges to get off of it, if I even could). 401K matching once a year is bad for employees. Do not feel connected to company as a whole. Management is out of touch with how employees feel about the company. Hard to motivate for IBM's success when the company doesn't give bonuses or raises for people who are supposedly performing well. After almost two years here, and performing very well according to all of my evaluations, I am actually making LESS money than when I started when you consider inflation and the fact that company healthcare costs have gone up.

Stop making the entire focus of the company to increase earnings per share. Your employees are a great asset, and, from what I can see, you're losing a lot of the good ones by not making them feel like "just a number." Sending out emails about our "practices" is not enough to make employees enthusiastic about IBM.

Like most consulting service companies. Good, but not great, with benefits that are dwindling fast.

Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In GBS, especially public sector, if you have a sought-after IT skill, you will always stay busy. Then there's just the cachet of working at Big Blue. I'd only recommend it as a stepping stone.

Cons

It's always more give than take - they want 110% (sometimes much more) and somehow the benefits continue to diminish.

Stop the two-faced talk. You can't tell the world what a great year/quarter it was, then tell employees there's no bonus/raise/etc. because we didn't make the numbers.

Overall, my experience at IBM was very good. It was a great place to begin a consulting career.

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly smart, hard-working individuals work as consultants at IBM. The company name opens a lot of doors and provides instant credibility. There is a lot of room to grow and if you work for the right people, you will be given opportunities.

Cons

The work-life balance is OK as far as consulting goes. You work hard, but most people at the company do as well. The compensation is a little below average from what I can tell. With respect to training, there are a lot of online training resources available, but in-person, in-class training is very limited and is the first thing to be cut when the economy goes south.

As with most consultancies, the major emphasis is on "utilization," which more experienced consultants may be able to affect, but entry-level ones have very little power over, so this can be frustrating.

My biggest beef with IBM is that it is a constantly changing environment in the sense that there always seems to be a re-organization going on so it is hard for employees to understand how they fit in. Also, I do not believe they truly understand/appreciate strategy consulting. They know IT strategy, but not pure strategy because they focus on big, long-term, multi-year contracts, which is not how strategy consulting works.

Figure out a better incentive system for employees that eliminates competition among business units.

It's an ok place to work but like all places has its issues.

Former Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reputation, opportunities, great colleagues from which to learn
    Clear how to get promotions
    You own your destiny

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for training or other growth opportunities
    Making all employees be sales people. As a managing consultant had to always try to sell things that weren't needed and had to find our own jobs or sit on the bench and risk getting laid off

Don't make everyone be a sales person and look at the required utilization rates

Not What I Expected

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Team work; Freedom to drive your own development; "Give Back" opportunities on a global scale; Rewards & recognition;

Cons

1. Too much 'management' responsibility given to 'team leads' which limits individual contributors from having the ability to take on career building opportunities since team leads tend to take on the prime projects.
    2. Much effort put into hitting performance metrics when it comes to completing performance reviews instead of time spent assisting individuals with development.

Great Name on resumes but disappointing working experience.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great name to have on a resume.

Cons

Consultants are only viewed as billable seat with no real opportunities to develop. There's a great disconnect between the marketing pitch and the reality of how IBMers are treated.

Stop what you're doing. It not working.

A highly capable company struggling to keep up with the pace of change in IT

Former Employee - Associate Partner in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Partner in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing people and range/depth of innovative IT products

Cons

Quality of life within Big Blue has declined over the past five years as IBM has skimped on internal investment to focus on external acquisitions and stock buy-backs. Company continues to cut experienced people in an attempt to drive down costs but now struggles to maintain its edge for large, complex solutions.

Abandon the maniacal adherence to achieving a 5-year EPS goal established by the previous CEO in a different economic era.

undisciplined

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

friendly env., a lot of talented people, flexible schedule

Cons

undisciplined management, not much efficient