IBM Reviews in Washington, DC

12,046 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,504 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

156 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IBM is an interesting place to work

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong brand name and smart people!

Cons

They treat employees just like a number and let go of people left and right.

Being employed at IBM is a great learning experience.

Current Employee - Consulting By Degrees  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consulting By Degrees in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many opportunities to get involved in a lot of different industries.

Cons

They hire too many recent grads and do not have enough space for them.

great place to start your career as a young professional, but not a long term place of choice

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to start as a college grad; a variety of opportunities within one firm; being proactive and taking initiative is received well; professionals are willing to mentor and take time for informal career dialogues

Cons

noncompetitive compensation; cut costs on too many employee benefits;

reward your top performers well with salary and benefits and they will stay

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

was a great company, not any more

Former Employee - Field Sales Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

management used to listen to employees

Cons

mgt doesn't listen to employees any more, just focused on quarterly targets.

listen to employees

Great entry level job

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great entry level opportunities, good work life balance, interesting, smart, passionate people within the company. Many great resources but you have to push for them

Cons

It is all about utilization. There are shine weird company policies too

Better bonuses

Sr. Consultant

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up

Cons

Matrix leadership forces you to be tied to multiple leadership to get opportunities

offer training that is transferable in the real world and not offer IBM certifications

Always changing experiences with top notch people.

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent resources to improve your skill set
    Co-workers are dedicated and provide exceptions skills
    Challenging project assignments and clients
    Home on Thursdays night from travel

Cons

Extensive travel and time away from family
    Demanding deadlines
    Always looking for next assignment to make performance goals. Resource managers don't provide reliable assistaance

Continue to respect work-family/life balance
    Continue to provide additional training to the consultants

Penny Wise - Pound Foolish

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are a core of excellent and incredibly skilled professionals employed within IBM. There are also an incredible set of well skilled and experienced business partners who can put the IBM solutions to work.

Cons

There appears to be little if any balance between long term growth and quarterly results. With the recent Resource Action (i.e., LAYOFF) many essential people and roles were eliminated. One of the most extreme and ludicrous examples was the recent elimination of its Small Business Program Office in the IBM US Federal Organization - at a time that the US Government has declared its increased and expanded focus on small business content in federal acquisitions of solutions (products and services). Not exactly the right message to the government and even more negative to the small businesses who could think about working with IBM ... "the baby went out with the bathwater with this decision".

With the self proclaimed clout that IBM has - it should attempt to rise above the quarterly death march for numbers and take a world leadership position changing the measure of what a successful organization for the future should be like. Beating on people to sell things vs. solving problems is not the formula for success.

More contracting than consulting

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation, flexible hours. There is ample opportunity for getting involved with side projects. The people are also fantastic

Cons

Little to no attention given to professional development. The projects are 1-2 year long engagements that involve less innovation and more routine tasks.

Invest more in your consultants and be more upfront about the type of work they will face when joining the firm.

GBS: Great at first, Not a healthy long term fit

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People - I have really enjoyed most of the people I worked with at IBM. That being said, most of the young ones who were great moved on to other companies. There were some really great employees who had been there longer and were just sticking around because their project was a good fit.

Projects – There are a lot of projects that will give you exposure to all sorts of different clients and industries. However, if you aren’t staffed on a project you only have a certain amount of time (30-60 days) before you’ll be let go. There are a good number of projects but if you can’t find one in your location you’ll have to look across the country so be prepared to travel anywhere in the US if you aren’t staffed locally. Some practice areas are more particular than others that you work on a project in THAT practice area which can make finding a project even more difficult.

Health/Vision/Dental – pretty standard, you have good options to choose from each year.

401K – IBM does have a good 401K match percentage (up to 6%) but they don’t match until the very END of the year so if you leave anytime before 12/31 you won’t get your match. Something to consider before ever leaving IBM.

Cons

The experience at IBM varies WIDELY depending on which department and practice of IBM you join, as well as the project you are assigned to. For IBM GBS, like the other major consulting companies, there talent model is to hire the best talent they can, overwork them so their profit margins are high, and only promote those that contribute the most; they expect the rest to leave voluntarily after they’ve had too much.

For those that stick around, the responsibilities continue to pile up the further up the chain you go. Having a good work/life balance isn’t realistic if you plan to move up, unless you want to stay at the same level on the same project for as long as you can. I know several people who are doing this and will quit if they have to move to another project. On top of regular project work, employees are expected to help out with recruiting events, assist with bids and proposals (B&P), contribute to their practices areas in various ways, and have at least 40 hours of training every year. Consider that a full plate? I've also heard that most of the very high-ups don't even have time to take their own vacation. Sad.

Performance Reviews – everybody is given a rating (1, 2+, 2, 3). Mostly everyone is given a 2 if they meet their goals. People have to work a LOT more to get a 1, something in the 150% utilization range and lots of “giveback”. All that work and the bonuses aren’t even that much. Not worth it in my opinion.

Managers – In three years I only spent 3 minutes face to face with my personal manager and we never worked on the same project. The quality of managers varies widely across GBS and each practice area. I knew another IBM manager on one project who was thankfully quite frank about things since he's near retirement age. He described the upper management of GBS with terms such as 'shady', 'selfish', 'backstabbing', and 'dishonest'.

Promotions – employees have to fill out a promotion application and submit it for review. The process can take 6 months or longer and the application itself is quite extensive, mine came out to 30 some pages in Microsoft Word. There is no visibility in to how they actually decide (other than that you have good utilization).

New Hires - I also found out that GBS was offering new hires $10K more than my current salary, and a $7K signing bonus. I was hired during the recession in 2010 when salaries were lower, but even still I was pretty angry there was such a large difference. After I got promoted I was still making ~$3/4K less than what they were offered. Unbelievable if you ask me.

Where to begin?

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!