ICAP plc Reviews

ICAP plc Group CEO and Director Michael A. Spencer
Michael A. Spencer

Exciting, fast-paced work environment

I worked at ICAP plc

Pros

Every day at ICAP was very exciting. It is a work hard play hard type of environment. It is challenging but you have more than enough resources to accomplish and excel at your tasks.

Cons

When the business was not good, it wasn't good for anyone. Also the fast paced environment translated to high stress at times. Definitely not for the weak-hearted.

ICAP is a dying industry.

Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Some great people there, learned a lot. Lots of action, never a boring moment, good culture. Pretty much a frat house, and there's always leftover free food in the kitchen.

Cons

Industry is dying and there is little room for growing with the company since it's basically going nowhere. Everything is going electronic.

The management needs to learn how to deal with interns. Rather than sticking them on a desk and expecting them to pretend they love everything about everything, they should give them tasks to do and maybe some direction.

R & D - Jersey City

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great, health benefits are OK but very expensive

Cons

Where do I start?
    Icap EBS is like nothing I have seen in my life and if I shared even an ounce what goes on there you'd think I am making it up. No leadership, no vision, no strategy, no competency, no loyalty, no growth, no future.
    The only concern is cost-cutting at the expense of everything.
    I'd run from any job offers, I would not recommend this place to anyone and I cannot wait to leave!
    I would rate the company -5 stars if I could. There is no consideration for process, policy, proper management of ideas. The leadership is senior in title, but extremely inexperienced in running a company.
    The company offers health benefits, which you need in case you are at the brink of a nervous breakdown caused by the crazy circus you will report to everyday. No 401K matching, benefits are very expensive. No consideration for diversity, mentorship, networking etc.
    I can go on for days, but the bottom line is avoid this place at all cost.

Hire some competent management, at least someone who knows what process is and why we should follow it

Smart People

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Smart group of people
    - Opportunity to contribute
    - don't sit on your back

Cons

- not much loyalty to employees

give notice to full time employees

Very Good.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc

Pros

Respectful, smart people, smart managers

Cons

technologists are not number 1. Business is.

match 401K

Dead end

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc

Pros

Technical learning curve is good because of a few sound professionals. It you manage your superiors and their expectations correctly, you can have a laid back environment. Also they have not had many lay offs, so you are secure in this market.

Cons

Management is very wishy washy in terms of understanding time-work ratio, recognizing accomplishments, rewarding accomplishments, approachability and decision making capabilities. For instance the management thinks the number of hours at work is more important than either quality of work or accomplishments over and above your yearly goals. There is also a lot of politics that influence the workings of the technology team, information is not passed around to team mates and is kept as privileged information for control, a few blame games and numerous coffee room maneuvering which has in the past two years taken a toll on employees in general. Benefits are average to sub average.

Make sure management incompetence is not tried to be pushed down the ladder and that all employees are being treated fairly.

Good temporarily but harmful in the long term.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc

Pros

Laid back environment with good work life balance. Smart people and relatively motivated workforce. Part of a larger more growth intensive company.

Cons

Ultra-political management team. Limited opportunities for growth. Extreme distrust of other areas of the organization. The business seems to be in the dying throes of being a formidable force on the street. There is lack of innovation in new product areas and a complete disregard for the ideas of others. It's all about being politically connected in this division. ICAP as a whole, however, is a completely different story than the lackluster Electronic Broking Division. Great company to work for.

Develop your people and provide them opportunities to innovate.

Overall a good experience

Former Employee - Intern in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at ICAP plc

Pros

Laid back work environment, nice people. the work environment is no aggressive or uptight like at some firms like goldman sachs, the management is not too rigid or strict, they have the right balance of strictness and cool. It is small enough not for one to be just another number and big enough to be able to move ahead and have the right growth opportunities. People that come from other companies usually stay longer than they do at other companies. The work environment is friendly, laid back, and dedicated to growth.

Cons

management is too lax on some employees, too harsh on others

hire more interns

Incredibly Crappy And Painful

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at ICAP plc

Pros

Working at ICAP will test your resistance to pain. If you survive this, you can survive any corporate environment on the planet.

Cons

You're going to be worked to your death.

Retire. It's time for new blood to take over.

Dynamic, client-driven work requiring brokers to be resilient and agile.

Former Employee - Broker in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Broker in London, England (UK)

I worked at ICAP plc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great client entertainment opportunities, dealing with traders is part of job. Lively working atmosphere on the voice broking desks. Able to see electronic broking too.

Cons

Need to be thick skinned. Able to take critique of character. Sometimes long working hours as it is dependent on the global market. Voice broking desks for some products do not have much volume.