ICAP plc Reviews

R & D - Jersey City

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is great, health benefits are OK but very expensive

Cons

Where do I start?
    Icap EBS is like nothing I have seen in my life and if I shared even an ounce what goes on there you'd think I am making it up. No leadership, no vision, no strategy, no competency, no loyalty, no growth, no future.
    The only concern is cost-cutting at the expense of everything.
    I'd run from any job offers, I would not recommend this place to anyone and I cannot wait to leave!
    I would rate the company -5 stars if I could. There is no consideration for process, policy, proper management of ideas. The leadership is senior in title, but extremely inexperienced in running a company.
    The company offers health benefits, which you need in case you are at the brink of a nervous breakdown caused by the crazy circus you will report to everyday. No 401K matching, benefits are very expensive. No consideration for diversity, mentorship, networking etc.
    I can go on for days, but the bottom line is avoid this place at all cost.

Hire some competent management, at least someone who knows what process is and why we should follow it

Dead end

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc

Pros

Technical learning curve is good because of a few sound professionals. It you manage your superiors and their expectations correctly, you can have a laid back environment. Also they have not had many lay offs, so you are secure in this market.

Cons

Management is very wishy washy in terms of understanding time-work ratio, recognizing accomplishments, rewarding accomplishments, approachability and decision making capabilities. For instance the management thinks the number of hours at work is more important than either quality of work or accomplishments over and above your yearly goals. There is also a lot of politics that influence the workings of the technology team, information is not passed around to team mates and is kept as privileged information for control, a few blame games and numerous coffee room maneuvering which has in the past two years taken a toll on employees in general. Benefits are average to sub average.

Make sure management incompetence is not tried to be pushed down the ladder and that all employees are being treated fairly.

Unstable mgmt, office politics, fast-paced, cut throat

Former Employee - Broker  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Broker in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at ICAP plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to experience working for one of the biggest inter dealer brokers in the world and get a sense of how things used to run in the glory days, work here.

Cons

Be ready to deal with office politics, cut throat colleagues, overly strict and inefficient compliance (also dealing with ongoing public investigations and lawsuits), very budget conscious, no communication with management. In addition to these ICAP specific issues, the industry will struggle with banks doing less business and more regulations.

Communication for starters.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You got to be tough in order to survive there

I worked at ICAP plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flat hierarchy
    Good compensation
    Nice infrastructure and environment

Cons

Shrinking market
    Shift to electronic brokering

None

Not a healthy environment for long term, no support for employees.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Sales in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at ICAP plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

A sort of a lack of control so quite a lot of freedom.

Cons

Low salaries, low opportunities to develop, unorganized company - bad or in existent processes, etc.

Dead end weak communication

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ICAP plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get to work with different groups and very hard working group of people not much for the management though.

Charity Day

Cons

No communication, honesty or loyalty towards employees. Fact that employees cannot review managers show how ICAP operates. You have to be careful with your sign-on agreements or else you will stuck with same pay for 10 years and also be wary of company wide policy changes time to time which will be changed without any notification to employees.

Be transparent and honest.

Good temporarily but harmful in the long term.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ICAP plc

Pros

Laid back environment with good work life balance. Smart people and relatively motivated workforce. Part of a larger more growth intensive company.

Cons

Ultra-political management team. Limited opportunities for growth. Extreme distrust of other areas of the organization. The business seems to be in the dying throes of being a formidable force on the street. There is lack of innovation in new product areas and a complete disregard for the ideas of others. It's all about being politically connected in this division. ICAP as a whole, however, is a completely different story than the lackluster Electronic Broking Division. Great company to work for.

Develop your people and provide them opportunities to innovate.

Fair analysis of life at ICAP.

Former Employee - Dealer  in  Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Dealer in Mumbai (India)

I worked at ICAP plc

Pros

ICAP gives you a lot of exposure in terms of macro economics. If you just don't limit yourself to the job you are supposed to be doing and get into casual relations with your clients, there is tons to be learnt from the industry leaders.

Cons

limited industry scope. dying nowadays. you face tough competetion from electronic broking. As in every other broking job, it sees unfair at times. Your success is largely dependent on the number, size and type of clients you've got. You get focused to only one niche industry with limited self growth, ignoring all the other talents you possess.

Department heads should not be appointed according to the revenues they bring in, but their leadership abilities and popularity.

Incredibly Crappy And Painful

Former Employee - Credit Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at ICAP plc

Pros

Working at ICAP will test your resistance to pain. If you survive this, you can survive any corporate environment on the planet.

Cons

You're going to be worked to your death.

Retire. It's time for new blood to take over.

Going through huge change

I have been working at ICAP plc for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good people
    Flexible working environment
    They are trying to update their business model as they know things need to change

Cons

No clear direction
    Cost cutting a priority

Worked for ICAP plc? Contribute to the Community!