ICC Lowe

2.5

Steve Viviano

Learning Experience

I worked at ICC Lowe

Pros

Exposure to many brands and parts of the agency as a whole. Made a lot of friends

Cons

Upper management. There is so much ego and no mentorship.

You can tell your supervisor over and over where you want to go and how you'd like to grow - and they could be completely supportive of that - but as soon as it is taken to the higher ups, it's like the conversation never happened.

You're just constantly told why you're not good enough for a higher job position, and they just keep adding more things to the list of responsibilities required, in order to get promoted.

It's a broken record.

Promote!!! That's why you're losing all of the good ones.

Once a great place to work at.

I worked at ICC Lowe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The agency was once a creative strength and a well oiled machine, while also maintaining a good balance of work and fun at the same time. I worked here for 5 yrs, and I must say that the first 3 years was a great experience. Learned a lot and worked with MANY good people.

Cons

After my first 3 years, there was a change in upper management and that's when things changed, not for the better.
    While I was there during my last 2 yrs, the former president of the company retired. And it must of been felt through out the agency. Many good people either left or were eventually pushed out. The environment started becoming very cut-throat, and quickly faded from the once fun atmosphere, to what it has now become. :(

Horrible management

Current Employee - Designer in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Designer in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at ICC Lowe full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laxed environment, good easy going people, sometimes they order food for employees,

Cons

Horrible Management, no work life balance, strict work methods

ICCLOWE is a joke. Sorry to say, but they treat their lower - mid level employees poorly and focus their attention to the senior people. They under pay them and over work them. This goes for all their companies as ICCLOWE has multiple locations. Although the people are relatively nice, their management skills lack extremely. You have project managers not listening or collaborating within the teams and not up to date with particular industry standard (ex. web and mobile). Their work method is a mess. You have twenty different people e-mailing each other about one project all not on the same page. People blame other people for their mistakes. People will go behind other people backs to get things done without approval, while in the long run it comes back on other people for their mistake. No one can agree on anything and most of the mistakes made by the higher ups are blames on the lower-mid level employees, when they are the ones working the hardest and the "senior" people sit in their offices and do nothing. When the company collaborates with its counter part, they don't see eye to eye and senior management won't get along and projects will go past deadlines. Projects will also route 15 times and all for a word change in a piece whether its a printed piece or digital. You'll have some work to do in the mornings and then the big projects will get back to you at 4:30-5PM right when it's time to go and they expect you to get a 4 hour project done within 30 min, while you've been sitting around all day doing nothing. Thus, giving you a 0 work life balance, making you work weekends and even holidays!

Overall there are to many people on one project, senior management needs to have more faith in their employees, and really needs to believe in a work life balance.

Can't wait to leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at ICC Lowe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The commute and dental insurance are probably the only positives I can think of at this point. The life insurance is decent as well.

Cons

This is a politically charged environment and very account driven. There is no work-life balance to speak of. If you are a salaried employee, as most of us are, you won't have much of a life outside of work. We are expected to come in at the last minute on major holidays, to cancel our vacations, and to come in when we are very sick. It's almost a competition to see who can come in sicker. 60- to 70-hour work weeks are the norm. The health insurance is mediocre and costs a lot. Verbal attacks are also the norm. It's truly a miserable place to work. The newer employees are, of course, happier. They are still in the honeymoon period. In time, they will probably have their own stories to tell. There has been a long string of layoffs over the past 3 years. Unfortunately, the company paints each RIF as a firing and handles it very quietly, which is harmful to the laid-off employee's reputation. It also leaves the rest of the staff in fear. Perhaps that is what they want? It's not a healthy work environment.

Please stop trying to tell us that the company cares about work-life balance. It's insulting because it is patently false. So many of us end up losing our PTO days at the end of the year because our teams make it impossible to take time off. Also, when having a RIF, please be honest about it instead of allowing rumors to spread about an employee's performance. We all know what's been happening. It is unfair to say negative things about people who have worked very hard for a long time there. It is unprofessional and doesn't lend any credibility to the company.

5 Star review from our client! Who Hoo

I have been working at ICC Lowe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our account has always been good but the team all dedicated ourself to making it great. With the help of the managers we improved resources and put our focus on making sure all the clients were happy. Sure enough in our most recent review we were rewarded with almost perfect scores!

Cons

None at the moment. we are cranking

Thank you for the support. And also for believing in us

I feel like things will get better now

I have been working at ICC Lowe

Pros

My team is great. I am hoping that some of the new changes will benefit the place

Cons

Past direction has been unclear at least to me.

Keep making sure that everyone understands what the direction is

SUPERFICIAL AND DISAPPOINTING

I have been working at ICC Lowe

Pros

There are some really cool, talented people with a true positive vibe. Hard working and dedication stand true with such talented folks and I found those who continue to keep that vibe alive inspiring. Summer 1/2 day Fridays were nice and the studio was spacious.

Cons

Unfortunately, those whom are talented and positive were there temporarily, or just holding on until something better came alone. I had high hopes for ICC, only to find out that popularity, cynicism and over the line sarcasm were trumped over a desire to become part of the team.

Trust and listen to your talent. They are the ones that will help your company succeed and follow through with your vision. It is not always about the bottom line, or the next big client. like Steve jobs would say… "You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever."

Agency With Serious Problems

I worked at ICC Lowe

Pros

Very strong medical and creative staff
    The agency had a good reputation until 2 years ago
    Management is fairly flexible with work schedules

Cons

This company was a very well respected Agency uo until 2 years ago. The focus was always on the clients and doing good work for them, and being concerned about its employees. That has all changed and now the only thing that is important is the ego of the senior managers. It claims to be a "global network", but that is totally fake and non-existant.
    Several months ago the senior managers learned about negative reviews on Glassdoor and began to intimidate people to write good reviews....and to be sure to approve of the CEO. That's a perfect example of ego being more important than being responsive to the company's issues.

The holding company (IPG) needs to replace senior management here while there still is a compnay left and more business is lost.

Good, however dwindling reputation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at ICC Lowe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really good people committed to the work, kind people, good team members

Cons

Management has their hair on fire. Had confidence in the leadership for a while, until I realized that the managing director was just a snake oil sales man. will say one thing, do another. he's a smart guy, but not in it for the people as he presents. his way or the highway. such a shame.

Steve V., its time to take the reigns back.

Some people will never be satisfied…but many who work here are happy

I have been working at ICC Lowe full-time

Pros

Yes there are naysayers, but to suggest that this place is a miserable sweatshop -- and that all the positive reviews are faked-- is to be as dishonest as the day is long. This company has assembled a bright, balanced, wonderful core of employees. No place dripping in alleged discontent could maintain such excellent talent for 5,10, even 20 years. "Lifers" is not a derogatory term: it's a reflection of a stable, nurturing, warm environment. Yes the hours can be long, esp. during a launch. Get over it -- that's universal. The biggest pro of all is that pros work here, and professionalism trumps miserly whining every day of the week.

Cons

None of the challenges are unique to this Agency. Long hours and unreasonable deadlines can occur. They do everywhere in this industry. Clinets can be demanding and difficult -- ditto.
    Some of the "hidden" benefits -- training courses, discounts, etc. -- could be better promoted.

Have middle management dig around and root out the malcontents before they poison anyone else. There aren't many of them, but since they aren't brave enough to step forward, they should quietly be reached out to and approached.