ICF International Reviews

Sudhakar Kesavan

1. Free reign to win or fail

Former Contractor - Creative Department in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Creative Department in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ICF International as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a good sized company where will you will get to work with a great diversity of very educated personnel in a wide variety of health issues. Good work schedule. Can manage your own time. Lots of ways to learn and grow about internal initiatives as well as health issues.

Cons

Scheduling of projects can sometimes be difficult due to world travel of instructional designers. short turn around time on winning proposals.

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing

Hardworking family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Free coffee, tea and snacks - coming from places that had neither you would be surprised how much those little things help get you through the day
    *Company social clubs organized by employees are cool - really welcoming folks
    *Recent push for employees to develop career goals and company wide support from managers to actually help staff follow through with achieving those crafted goals
    *Growth opportunities for those willing to do the work
    * Tuition reimbursement, matching 401k contribution
    *Flexible hours (depends on manager)
    *Great co-workers - a lot of people really care. It's a family.
    * Holiday parties and company happy hours almost quarterly it seems now - depends on which group you are with
    *Upgrading of processes to meet the exploding growth of this company. They are making an effort and it is noticed and appreciated.

Cons

*Work-life balance is kind of non-existent. If you come here, your life may literally become work. You get used to it and it isn't too bad. The balance for some seem to be the opportunity to work from home and do work in other locations besides the office.... However, this isn't true work-life balance...it is moreso flexibility in working locations
    *Some managers expect tons of work but don't give you the project hours for it.
    *Pointless tasks assigned to staff by certain managers. If it doesn't really help us with our deliverable in any way, shape, or form - why do it?
    *Too much client butt kissing and not enough true advice - the client hired us for the expertise! Let's not promise them the world when they paid for a country!
    *Hard to grow relationships with staff sitting off site at certain client locations. Even harder to connect with different lines of business and groups....we are getting better but we still have a ways to go
    *Conference room infrastructure is starting to age and no one seems to care. This affects meetings.
    *One on site tech support for computers and aging equipment - and he isn't even dedicated to our office! We are supposed to call some help desk just to talk to him. It's all very red tape and extra bureaucratic.
    *Disconnect between headquarters and our location at times
    *Switch from vacation and sick time to standard PTO - resulted in lost sick time for employees.

Advice to Management

The best managers have a hands off approach and understand that their employees are there to do a job that they have been well trained to do. Let's support these employees and avoid micromanaging. New managers don't always understand this. Also, the company has a very supportive atmosphere among colleagues. New managers should understand this and adjust accordingly. We should nurture this culture of support. The last thing we want to turn this place into is one unhappy micromanaging environment.

3. Supervisor

Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for keep up the good work ICF

Cons

i have no CONS this is a GREAT COMPANY

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work ICF

ICF is not a good place to work

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart hard working people work there

Cons

Work-life balance depends on your supervisor. I had No work-life balance and I needed it being a single parent of a small child,my supervisor would not allow me to work different hours or work from home, while other colleagues who had been there less time than me but were aloud to work whatever hours they wanted, work from home while on vacation

Advice to Management

Have consistency across supervisors and set rules for everyone to follow for work-life balance. Train supervisors better.

Terrible Work-Life Balance, Nice People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with. There are a lot of smart, hard-working people at ICF, and some go out of their way to make you feel appreciated. It seems like the upper management really care about the employees, and they are very accessible.

Cons

There's no work-life balance. The motto has become "get it done" rather than "do it well." Despite getting stellar yearly reviews, I have not gotten a promotion in years.

Interesting work; some opportunity for advancement; can feel stuck in your position

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professionally supportive and accessible upper management. I feel comfortable sharing ideas and asking questions of vice presidents and feel that they value my contributions. Flexible work hours and ability to work from home (varies by supervisor and project manager--not everyone can enjoy this benefit). If you take initiative to do internal networking, people are ready to work with you, listen to your ideas, and help you. Almost everyone I have met here is quite smart, hard working, and good on a team.

Cons

Switch from sick and vacation to PTO. Lack of work/life balance. Feeling valued is important to me personally, but it has not translated into raise or promotion, which would be at least as meaningful. Your experience with the company can vary wildly depending on which office you sit in, who your supervisor is, and who your line of business lead is. This includes things like whether you can work from home, how and how long it takes to get promoted, whether you are expected to check email at night and on weekends, whether you are allowed to leave a project you don't like for one you prefer, etc. Promotion feels as though it is partly based on merit but at least equally based on who you know and whether you have a good supervisor who looks out for you. I feel I've been doing management level work for at least a year without having the salary or job title that I deserve.

Advice to Management

Have some guidelines on what non-management staff can expect in terms of how long it takes to be promoted in addition to what the skills are. Get management on board about what ICF practices are and have them applied across the board.

8. Liked It Less When It Was Macro

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

profit sharing and 401k match

Cons

no flexibility and incompetent management

9. Great workplace

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ICF International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent people to work with

Cons

No relocation package is provided to interns.