ICF International Reviews

Reset
3.1
ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is great; I tend to be a bit of a workaholic but I'm glad it's not forced (in 28 reviews)

• I love the flexibility that ICF gives to its employees, you can work from home every Friday or whenever the weather is bad (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • high employee turnaround due to poor work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

• There were cliques and favorites in upper management (in 12 reviews)

relaxing atmosphere

Current Employee - Statistician in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Statistician in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

relaxing atmosphere. no pressure. nice office and gym.

Cons

not very good benefits. no clear promotion criteria

2. Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Fairfax, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with; supportive managers and experienced colleagues; fast-pace learning environment

Cons

Some long-hours days; far from DC

Collaborative Consulting Firm

I have been working at ICF International full-time

Pros

The employee population is diverse, smart and interesting. Great group of colleagues

Cons

Can't think of anything substantial.

5. ICF is doing a great job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ICF has an outstanding work life balance culture and is understanding of the life demands often placed on its employees. We're not the typical DC beltway consulting firm - we support unique lines of business that impact people's lives every day! We offer great benefits and perks and offer monthly happy hours! We offer free coffee in the morning and afternoon. And, our gym is awesome!

Cons

Decision making is often slow, but is improving. The in house deli menu offerings need improvement.

Advice to Management

ICF has great leaders that inspire us. However, I would encourage leaders to tap more into the hidden talent and experience within the company.

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent colleagues, nice office environment, great clients, emphasis on work life balance, solid match on 401k, stock discounts

Cons

too many layers of management and emphasis on hierarchy make completing initiatives difficult, silo approach to management of business functions makes cross collaboration difficult and this can be visible to clients to ICFs detriment.

Advice to Management

relieve the emphasis on hierarchy. allow field based employees to make decisions. listen to client feedback and apply it.

7. My manager was great

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International (Less than a year)

Pros

I was given actual work and it was what I wanted. I learned a lot during my time at ICF International. My boss was really great, he spoke to me respectfully and was very kind and supportive. Work life balance was great for me, I was allowed to work from home a lot and only had to come in whenever there was a meeting.

Cons

I did not have anyone to work with really so it was tough when I did not know somethings. Things were not so organized so sometimes it seemed like they did not know what they really wanted.

Advice to Management

Try to be more organized and hire more people who will be willing to help others.

Great Projects... Poor Compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my team and manager. They were amazing colleagues and I hope to remain friends with them for many years to come. I also really enjoyed the project work. Because of ICFs experience and breadth of subject matter expertise, it is easier to win proposals. There are also really good training opportunities.

Cons

There has been a slow erosion of benefits during my tenure at ICF. First they took away sick leave and replaced it with PTO for less total days. Then ICF replaced their very good PPO health insurance with a high-deductible HSA based healthcare option that didn't work well for my family. Further, ICF has a miserable maternity leave package for its size and position in the industry. It only pays for five weeks of leave at 60% of your salary and any other time you take (up to 12 weeks total) is unpaid leave. These issues alone have driven out many of the most talented young women in the firm. Finally, raises and bonuses are issued with an eye dropper. Only the staff that are willing to put in significant overtime are able to get ahead, which directly conflicts with ICF's promise of being a family-friendly company.

Advice to Management

Improve your maternity leave policy, provide better health care options, promote your junior-staff into management roles, and improve wages.

ICF has undergone profound changes

Former Employee - Vice President in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International

Pros

Very talented and motivated staff Provide flexibility regsrding where and when you work Diverse set of clients and issues Pockets of excellence and top-notch work but not as consistent as it once was Good selection of strategic acquisitions - many have been highly duccessful

Cons

Nearly exclusive focus on the financial metrics Senior levels of leadership focused almost exclusively on tracking financials rather then actively selling business. ICFs success was founded on senior staff being exceptional consultants and selling business to their clients. This management level no longer makes this contribution and puts unreasonable pressures on staff to keep utilization rates high to cover the overhead costs Much too much staff overhead for a company this size that does not contribute to business growth Profitability vs quality of service to clients takes priority - very demoralizing for staff who are highly committed to the work

Advice to Management

Evalute contributions of senior management layers and replace with consultants who can help bring back some of the old ICF cache Take serious steps towards mitigating issues raise in internal employee satisfaction surveys. ICFs employee loyalty and retention rates have taken a real hit in the past 5 plus years which has a real cost to the company.

Good Starting Point

Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ICF is a solid company that operates in diverse markets and depending on your line of business and project(s), you'll have exposure to many different kinds of work and clients. It's a great foot in the door to consulting and the business world if you're just starting a career. -Competent Co-workers -Interesting Projects -Management Cares -Resources for Growth -Happy Hours

Cons

It can be difficult to make moves to other projects or other lines of business. The rate of salary increases is fair but rigid and slow. You may find yourself doing work well beyond your pay grade but not being paid for it. While resources for growth is a pro, growth is limited because everyone is pretty much on the same promotion track (timeline+responsibilities met) and receives roughly the same percentage of raises. The pay is extremely low for the DC Metro region and not competitive. Contract work comes and goes so you jump to other contracts after one ends or your role is no longer needed so it doesn't feel fully stable in that way. -Contract Work -Corporate Bureaucracy -Low Pay -Limited Growth -Rigid Salary/Promotion Structure

Advice to Management

Pay your talent more or they'll continue to get poached.

Confused

I have been working at ICF International full-time

Pros

Good benefits and pay, interesting work.

Cons

This is a government contractor that wants to be a consulting firm. The organization is confused about what it wants to be - commercial vs government. Brand image is completely unrecognizable. No one knows what ICF stands for or what they do - nothing interesting about brand. Difficult to attract technical resources for commercial work. Lots of acquisitions.

RSS Feed </> Embed