ICF International

ICF International Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated Jul 9, 2014

ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan

Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • The company does let you have a work life balance, but only if you consistently defend it (in 26 reviews)

• Knowledgable and friendly co-workers; ability to work from home is a huge plus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There can be demands on time so work-life balance can be a challenge (in 22 reviews)

• Furthermore the entire company is geared towards benefiting upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights
66 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Supportive culture, but low compensation and growth opportunities

Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsCompany culture is supportive of work/life balance with flexible work hours and teleworking arrangements; opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects in both public and private sector

ConsCompensation is lower than competition; bonus program only benefits senior leadership, not the rank and file; growth opportunities limited

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and share the strategic vision for the company, including how that vision will be achieved

Good place

Analyst (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsPeople are nice. Time is flexiable

ConsThe commuter benefit could be improved

Great team of contractors, management only looks out for the bottom line.

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI worked on a team project for the two and a half years I was there. Everyone assigned to the project was professional and we worked well together. It was a great experience.

ConsDuring the last six months of the contract, we were told to "hang in there" until the end of the project because other work was available for us upon completion of the contract. A few of us did remain, others found employment elsewhere. I received my layoff notice one week before the contract end date. If other work is not available, don't lie and say it is. Yes, it's a for-profit business but that's no reason for deceit.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie. You had a great group of employees who worked hard and impressed the clients. If there isn't other work available, do not say there is. We have personal responsibilities and families to support.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was managing USAID International Consulting Subcontract agreements with a list of Team, I enjoyed the challenges.

Subcontract Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsEffective Negotiations paid off in the long run for the Contract..

ConsTime constraints to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo plan a head of time so that delays will be avoided.

Great place to start out

Associate (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsICF offers a lot of benefits to its employees such as flexible work schedules, working from home and education stipends. The company has a great culture and senior management really care about their staff.

ConsWorking long hours at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate the annual performance review cycle

Good Place to work, Good family-work life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood place to work. Can a learn a lot quickly if interested, since it is a diversified consulting company. Recent changes in management are positive and a step in the right direction.

ConsFuture growth is unclear. Very high fixed cost base which makes it somewhat uncompetitive against more "nimble" consulting companies. Still can do a better job of making it easy to switch between divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce fixed costs. Promote different models of cost-competitive consulting.

A growing, flexible company with lots of opportunities

Human Capital Analyst (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Pros- flexible policies aimed at allowing work-life balance
     - many different divisions doing many different kinds of things
     - good people
     - everyone is expected to self-manage in a matrixed environment, which gives considerable room for autonomy and personal growth

Cons- everyone is expected to self-manage in a matrixed environment, which can sometimes be confusing and inefficient
     - vaguely soulless
     - top performers usually leave within 2 years
     - frankly-- its a good, solid company doing good, mid-level consulting work, mostly government contracts. Its not top level, and its not really focused on anything in particular, so you can't really expect it to have a distinctive character or flavor. Its a good company, but a grey company.

Pleasant place to work if you're willing to work hard and produce results.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsConvenient location (near Vienna metro) with a positive work environment. I've never worked with so many intelligent people who took pride in their projects.

ConsIf you are not self motivated you will struggle here. Leaders expect everyone to simply do their job and there is little hand holding. If you are not a true professional, this is not the place for you.

Good place to start career and gain technical skills

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsWork around extremely smart managers. Consulting work is a good balance of federal and commercial contracts (rare for the DC area). Role was highly quantitative so was able to obtain great technical skills and knowledge of energy markets. Decent amount of vacation days and company-wide social events.

ConsLow pay for a technical role. Healthcare plan seemed to get worse each year. Lots of changes each year in group structure can be confusing.

Do not be wooed by the term "flexible work"

Technical Specialist (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsInitially the company offered unlimited potential, and I was thoroughly excited to be part of the team. Was given good pay with decent benefits - but a downgrade in benefits, and a promise of the company supporting training and development tracks, that can be reviewed, and a "buddy"/mentor system.

ConsSub-par office culture ; toxicity and alienation permeate, especially among the virtual employees, with management leading. Flexible work shouldn't come at the price of stagnation and alienation, or being forced to accept unprofessional treatment. HR can be very fickle and do not take any reports or complaints seriously. "Sweeping issues under the rug" is handled expertly. If you can handle extremely stressful situations, and thrive on being surrounded by stoic savants that put communication on the back-burner, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be trained in Leadership first and foremost, so they can maximize the talent pool. Getting projects out the door is a priority, but without a push to promote work-life balance and follow through with promises such as training and career development path Choices, you put employee lives in a balance. Managers who handle performance reviews should actually work with the employee on occasion. There is a major disconnect between management and employees - learning how to stay true to the business will be helpful in retaining employees.

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!