ICF International Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
328 reviews filtered by
ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is great; I tend to be a bit of a workaholic but I'm glad it's not forced (in 28 reviews)

• Knowledgable and friendly co-workers; ability to work from home is a huge plus (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good work/life balance I found myself working 50-60 hr weeks while getting paid for 40 (in 26 reviews)

• Furthermore the entire company is geared towards benefiting upper management (in 12 reviews)

1. Intern

I worked at ICF International

Pros

There is a great work culture. Employees have the freedom to pursue their interests within the scope of projects they are assigned to.

Cons

The jobs I came across seem quite slow paced. While this is a place I would like to settle down at, I would want to push myself at this young age.

Keep doing the good stuff you've been doing. Try to compete more in sectors you've stayed away from so far. Otherwise, have nothing else to say. Keep rocking !

2. Great Experience

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

Really invested in younger people and giving them lots of experience and knowledge.

Cons

Seasonal business- August and September are extremely busy

3. A good company hampered by having gone public

I worked at ICF International (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many smart people who are clever, hard-working, and dedicated to their projects and colleagues. The facilities are first-rate, the technology is outstanding, and their benefits are very solid.

Cons

Like many government contractors, they have suffered during retrenchment by paring their workforce when not fully billable. This leads to a transient group of employees who understandably have difficulty developing a long-term commitment to a company which fails to do the same.

5. Bright, talented peers but management is out of touch

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart driven people, metro-accessible office locations, good mid-level leadership, interesting project work. I am particularly impressed by the work ICF does in the climate change, energy, and health services spaces.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch, and the performance review process is a black box that results in the majority of employees feeling dissatisfied with the results. The business model supports keeping employees around for maybe 3 years maximum before the salaries become sufficiently discouraging.

Train your managers to invest more in developing people so that they want to stay. Many managers are out of touch with the personal aspect of being a manager and are not incentivized to fight for their direct reports.

Working on great issues, collaborative spirit.

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love that we work on important issues like the environment, human trafficking research, education, tech and digital. It's really diverse and we have a mix of federal and commercial, domestic and international. Although we are 5,000 people it still feels really small and social, it's easy to find who does what and it's open door policy here so calling up someone for help is absolutely normal.

Cons

We are growing and finding talent is always top of mind to keep the growth possible at the rate and across the industries we are in. Proposal season is particularly busy, it's all hands on deck to get the proposals completed on time so if you are on the consulting side you need to be aware that a 9-5 is not the expectation.

ICF is still a hidden gem, networking and reaching out to talent to connect with them will help us be better known globally.

7. Ok

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

Good opportunities for entry-level and mid-level career advancement.

Cons

Poor communication and senior executive relationships and values as company expands.

Stick to values.

8. Had the chance to grow professionally & touch several aspects of the business in a short amount of time.

Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, interesting projects, smart and strong leadership. Possibility to grow within the company. Great colleagues.

Cons

Salary isn't very competitive and salary increases - even after stellar performance reviews - aren't very high. Ability to negotiate salary at offer stage is limited.

9. Turn your passion into a career!

Current Employee - Operations Manager/Director in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager/Director in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joined ICF because I was looking for an opportunity to apply my skills in a way that helped make an impact on the environment. I got what I was looking for and so much more. The people are smart, passionate, and committed. The company values the ideas of the individual. Great place for people to have an entrepreneurial spirit. It's a place where you can gain a lot of experience at a very early stage in your career.

Cons

We have been growing rapidly, it's not always easy to get the systems (for expenses, travel, etc.) in place that are best suited to our individual business areas because the company is large.

Need to work on not being so reliant on e-mail for the majority of our communications.

10. Free reign to win or fail

Former Contractor - Creative Department in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Creative Department in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ICF International as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a good sized company where will you will get to work with a great diversity of very educated personnel in a wide variety of health issues. Good work schedule. Can manage your own time. Lots of ways to learn and grow about internal initiatives as well as health issues.

Cons

Scheduling of projects can sometimes be difficult due to world travel of instructional designers. short turn around time on winning proposals.

keep doing what your doing

Not a good place to work for your first job out of college, awful career prospect mobility

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International

Pros

Decent benefits
    Decent first salary (if you negotiate above 55k)
    Smart young junior staff

Cons

Horrible middle managemt
    Entrenched managers who operate like its 1984
    Horrible work life balance
    Absolutely no overtime (not uncommon to work i effectively until 2am)

Appreciate your junior staff
    Get rid of entrenched middle managers, who are awful with efficiency
    Institute better work life balance conditions
    Stop being cheap and pay worthy bonuses to junior staff
    Have better career prospects