ICF International

ICF International Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan

Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros:
  • "flexible policies aimed at allowing work-life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Knowledgable and friendly co-workers; ability to work from home is a huge plus"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "There can be demands on time so work-life balance can be a challenge"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Furthermore the entire company is geared towards benefiting upper management"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsPeople are nice. Time is flexiable

ConsThe commuter benefit could be improved

Great opportunity to grow professionally.

ProsGood pay with regular promotions for quality staff. The leadership seems committed to families.

ConsAnnual increases are mediocre, so get in with a wage you can live with for a while. Also, there is a huge focus on utilization. If you're not billing 100%, you're likely to be let go.

Hardworking family

Atlanta, GA

Pros*Free coffee, tea and snacks - coming from places that had neither you would be surprised how much those little things help get you through the day
    *Company social clubs organized by employees are cool - really welcoming folks
    *Recent push for employees to develop career goals and company wide support from managers to actually help staff follow through with achieving those crafted goals
    *Growth opportunities for those willing to do the work
    * Tuition reimbursement, matching 401k contribution
    *Flexible hours (depends on manager)
    *Great co-workers - a lot of people really care. It's a family.
    * Holiday parties and company happy hours almost quarterly it seems now - depends on which group you are with
    *Upgrading of processes to meet the exploding growth of this company. They are making an effort and it is noticed and appreciated.

Cons*Work-life balance is kind of non-existent. If you come here, your life may literally become work. You get used to it and it isn't too bad. The balance for some seem to be the opportunity to work from home and do work in other locations besides the office.... However, this isn't true work-life balance...it is moreso flexibility in working locations
    *Some managers expect tons of work but don't give you the project hours for it.
    *Pointless tasks assigned to staff by certain managers. If it doesn't really help us with our deliverable in any way, shape, or form - why do it?
    *Too much client butt kissing and not enough true advice - the client hired us for the expertise! Let's not promise them the world when they paid for a country!
    *Hard to grow relationships with staff sitting off site at certain client locations. Even harder to connect with different lines of business and groups....we are getting better but we still have a ways to go
    *Conference room infrastructure is starting to age and no one seems to care. This affects meetings.
    *One on site tech support for computers and aging equipment - and he isn't even dedicated to our office! We are supposed to call some help desk just to talk to him. It's all very red tape and extra bureaucratic.
    *Disconnect between headquarters and our location at times
    *Switch from vacation and sick time to standard PTO - resulted in lost sick time for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best managers have a hands off approach and understand that their employees are there to do a job that they have been well trained to do. Let's support these employees and avoid micromanaging. New managers don't always understand this. Also, the company has a very supportive atmosphere among colleagues. New managers should understand this and adjust accordingly. We should nurture this culture of support. The last thing we want to turn this place into is one unhappy micromanaging environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its all about billable hours..forget professional development/advancement...mistrust, lack of cooperation abound!

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Columbia, MD

ProsLoved the autonomy I was given to do my job. Pay was more than typical for my skill and location. Working from home was great and this company strives for net zero carbon as a company. Seems that people hired are very experienced in their field. You are working with some fine professionals, for the time that they stay with the company before they leave.

ConsI was hired to work on a contract project and was promised opportunities to learn and develop/advance in the company. Brought on as a senior associate. It was clear after a year, this company had some very big problems, namely:
    1. Poor leadership fails to inspire/motivate employees, recognize/reward hard work
    2. Bad communication and lack of openness creates mistrust and lack of cooperation among groups
    3. They make it clear billable hours are all they care about...they do NOT invest in developing/nurturing talent....development/training/mentoring is not happening at ICF.

From the very beginning, they were cagey about questions regarding retention in the company and rightly so. It seems the only way to move up is to get out of ICF and apply for another position elsewhere. This became increasingly more apparent as I saw more and more people leave after 1-2 years only with the company. This is not a company people stay with long tenure, as advancing in the company into higher management is nearly impossible. You are basically told to stay in your lane and keep plugging along, don't get inventive or try to suggest ideas....and as long as you do your job, provided the contract is renewed, you will have a job. This is all contract work, so the day your contract is not renewed, you'll be let go, don't expect the company to try to find you work somewhere else in the company, and you are made very aware of this fact very early on. Also don't try to diversify and work extra hours in other contracts to learn more about the company outside your area, since there is no interest for managers to help other contracts out. No teamwork mentality here, you are on your own and camaraderie and cooperation is dead. (Unless you can bill the client, no one is interested in you putting forth the extra effort.)

Salary increases, forget it...its not in the budget and you "already make more than you should." so again and again, you are made to feel as though you are not valued in the company. Training and conferences, not going to happen since "its not in the budget." I was a speaker at a conference presenting about the work we were doing and I still had to use vacation time and pay out of pocket for it.

Managers were picked based on age and not competence or ability to lead. We had two managers lead our group (in 3 years due to turnover) and both were poor at communicating, tact and leadership skills. It was very evident when they were stressed, because it was passed onto our group in the form of poor communication that was strained, amiss and below tactful. Many business processes (proposal development, overall project management, budgets) remained very secretive due to the high turnover in the company. Not a lot of communication downwards and very little opportunity to communicate upward. All in all, the group I worked in, EE&T, was very dysfunctional and it shows with the drove of people leaving the company. There is no mentoring or motivating either, which is sad in a company filled with such a large number of smart and bright professionals.

I left on my own accord after finding another job that pays less working for a company that made it clear to me at the beginning that its employees are its #1 asset and they are treated as such. I left primarily because it became clear that ICF does not care about its employees or nurturing their development and career.

Advice to Senior ManagementReverse your priorities to reflect that you value your employees. Fail to do that and you'll continue to see employees leaving for greener pastures...pastures your competitor is cultivating with leadership training for managers, mentoring for younger employees, career progression and development opportunities, and a culture that is cooperative and synergistic, rather than competitive and distrustful of other LOB atmosphere that is so ingrained at ICF.

Typical large corporate government contracting firm

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Rockville, MD

Prosdecent pay and benefits, flexibility and ability to maintain a good personal life, many offices throughout the world, fun holiday parties

ConsSome impersonal, hands-off managers that make getting work done difficult, and it is difficult to advance despite the size of the company. In my office at least, the overwhelming majority of those in executive positions were men.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow workers more flexibility and lighten up on the 'corporate rebranding' and forced adaptation of the corporate culture.

Technical Specialist supporting Gov't Client...

Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsVery good work-life balance is good..room for growth is available. Senior management has an open door policy which makes me comfortable in voicing my concerns and/or issues.

ConsIf you're permanetly supporting a client on site, it makes it difficult to build outside relationships with other co-workers at corporate. Need more time to interact and build relationships in order to explore other internal opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional growth needs to be alloted for every employee regardless of whether you work at the client site or other ICF offices..

Doing good work, company has great resources, provides good training opportunities and incentives

ProsI work at a remote location on site with a client as a consultant and I do not have the full day to day experience in ICF HQ but there is a strong company culture that can easily be tapped into online and at remote office locations, a nearby office held an Earth Day park cleanup and I was able to participate in that. They reimburse for education. Overall the experience has been good.

ConsThe rating system for personnel review used to be more fair, now you have to go way above and beyond to get a good score which equals a raise but I have been satisfied with my cost of living increases over the years. I would prefer to still get a good score but not receive a raise if that is the tradeoff. The current way I get neither.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe could be more proactive with our client

Great place to work!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros- Decent benefits
    - Salaries are consummate with market.
    - Promotional opportunities (the company loves internal referrals)
    - Happy place to work
    - Flexible, great place to work if you have a family

Cons- Titles not always completely consistent across the divisions
    - Corporate atmosphere may not appeal to everyone

Hmmmmm...Really???

ProsPeople are really, really nice

ConsNo organic growth for 3 years = death

Advice to Senior ManagementExercise your options now

A billion dollar company that operates like a corner lemonade stand.

Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe company does let you have a work life balance, but only if you consistently defend it.
    Otherwise I have little else positive to say about my time at ICF.

ConsTreats employees like individual piggy banks via a consistent delay in paying salaries, expenses, and benefits even breaking with their own policies to achieve incremental float.
    Poor leadership
    Uninspiring leadership
    Poor office culture

Advice to Senior ManagementFile for Chapter 7 tonight.

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!

ICF International Videos

ICF International – Why Work for Us?

Working at ICF International means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ICF International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ICF International CEO Sudhakar Kesavan. All 247 reviews posted anonymously by ICF International employees.