ICF International Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • The company does let you have a work life balance, but only if you consistently defend it (in 26 reviews)

• Knowledgable and friendly co-workers; ability to work from home is a huge plus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There can be demands on time so work-life balance can be a challenge (in 22 reviews)

• Furthermore the entire company is geared towards benefiting upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good place to work!

I worked at ICF International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great, smart, collaborative people who also care about professional development. If you prove yourself, management will work hard to support you. there are opportunities to get involved in a lot of different types of projects so for some people things don't get boring or stale. It's fun to do business development as well.

Cons

there are some silos which is not unexpected for an international company. There are a lot of corporate procedures which, again, is not unexpected but can be cumbersome when trying to move at a fast pace.

I've grown tremendously as an individual and as an employee at ICF.

I have been working at ICF International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am not sure if this is ICF specific however, my manager is one of the best I've had the pleasure of working for and with. He is fair, understanding and most of all, empowers his direct reports to grow within their role.

Cons

The work is intense and you can get caught up in trying to get everything done in one day. However, you are constantly learning and you develop acute problem solving skills.

I have nothing but positive to say about my management team. I can't speak for other departments however, I would say, maintain this managerial style as it has done wonders to morale.

Inconsistent Work Atmosphere

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at ICF International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits at ICF are reasonable.The work environment is good. The health insurance coverage is good. The facilities are nice. Managers are great.

Cons

Inconsistency in departments is common in many areas.

My department does not allow working from home except in bad weather. Allowing employees to work regularly from home even 1-2 days a week provides better work-life balance and flexibility. Some departments allow a greater ability to work from home from a few days a week to every day. It seems to be up to the department head. In today's world almost all companies allow telecommuting.

I think PTO is on the low side - employees should have a few additional PTO days per year than what is given. Since telecommuting is not allowed in my department, there should be more PTO allotted so employees can take care of personal appointments.

There is no comp time - at least that I am aware of. Salaried staff often work many extra hours - especially in the busy months - and do not get compensated.

Staff should have offices instead of cubicles. It is very distracting to be in cubicles - especially when working on a special project that needs concentration. Only select staff have offices.

Low annual increases. A 2% increase is much smaller to a lower paid person than a higher paid person. There seems to be a standard increase every year that is not reflective of performance.

Allow greater opportunity in working from home, give larger salary increases for excellent performance, and solicit more feedback from lower staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a contractor for 6 months

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at ICF International full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Really learned to work fast to meet tight deadlines.
    -Nice Co-Workers
    -Coffee in mess halls
    -Ability to work from home
    -Occasional company events such as lunches, ice cream socials, and Happy Hour
    -Good food on site (also there is a gym but I never went to it)
    -Decent spread of technologies to work with so you expand your personal knowledge base.
    -Company is open to using new software and agile practices.

Cons

-Not a good work/life balance I found myself working 50-60 hr weeks while getting paid for 40.
    -I was never trusted with the system I was writing code for. Made working on it hard and led to a lack of motivation.
    -My ideas/suggestions were never considered and I felt like an outcast from day one which never changed.
    -If you are a contractor you MUST be vigilant about other opportunities because you will be let go despite management saying you are doing great and that they have plenty of work for you.
    -They let the customer change the requirements several times over which led to lots of lost time. The worst example was when an entire month's worth of work had to be trashed and redone because of the customer changing their mind.

Establish what your customer wants in advance and be firm with them otherwise the end product will be inferior. Trust your employees or end the territorial nature of work (honestly cannot tell if it was management or my co-workers guarding their job that led to lack of access and rejection of my suggestions)

Flexible but does not value its employees

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My contract was a telecommute based position. I love that the company is incredibly flexible, allows us to flex time and tries to meet you where you are in your needs in order to keep you (that is if they like you!)

Cons

There is a clear divide made between junior staff and senior/management level staff. Very little transparency and not much room for upward mobility, especially if you are not matrixed across multiple projects.

Value your employees. Provide true bonuses, competitive raises and benefits.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Associate  in  Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Associate in Burlington, VT

I have been working at ICF International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. They let you telecommute. Talented people. Vermont site is next to a brewpub, so that's something.

Cons

It depends a lot on the kind of company yours used to be before ICF bought it. The thing you wish would change don't. also no room for advancement or any kind of growth

ICF is a great place to get started

I worked at ICF International

Pros

The environment is very friendly and people are very easy to get along with. The office space is very open and give you a lot of desk space. They also have great amenities with a coffee bar and monthly happy hour host by the company (free food and drinks!). Depending on your department they are fairly flexible with you schedule.

Cons

There wasn't really much room for growth. You can put forth great effort but if you are not on the good side of the management you will not get the promotion you desire. Lots of politics played in the office, if you like playing that game then this is the place for you. They tell you that they like to promote from within but when the time comes to have people move up and get promoted they hire someone else in the place.

Pay attention to quality employees and reward them for good work or you will continue to lose good people.

Executives don't understand how to motivate

Current Employee - Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most days I like what I do. Benefits are ok, not great. While there's no official/standard company policy on working from home, I usually work from home about one day a week without any issue and I have good flexibility. My boss isn't a micro manager, but he's not an advocate for me either. He's too busy trying to climb the ladder.

Cons

Exec's don't know how to relate to the worker bees - VP tryes to motivate our group to make goal so the "company can get it's bonus" - meaning he gets a bonus and none of us see a bonus. Health benefits aren't great and you pay more for less every year. Poor raises - about 2%. Pay isn't awful but isn't great. ICF has a reputation of paying a little lower than average and working folks a little more than average. They don't do a good job of promoting within - they actually give you a $2k bonus to refer someone from the outside. Hard to move around within the org.

Learn how to relate to the folks under you.

Decent place to work

I have been working at ICF International full-time

Pros

This varies from division to division, but my experience at ICF has been mostly a positive one. It is a big company and comes with both the benefits and disadvantages of a big company, but I have found that if you do a good job you're pretty well taken care of in terms of personal and professional growth.

Cons

Again, in such a big company this varies from division to division. I have found the overall benefits to be okay. Being ineligible for overtime or comp time can be a drag when you get busy, that sort of thing (but this is nothing new to the corporate or NGO world).

Hypocrites

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are a well-oiled machine and you will learn a great deal. Effective in winning contracts especially in the Energy sector. Most of my colleagues were very intelligent and care about the quality of their work.

Cons

poor work-life balance. Upper management does not like the military---although they covet DoD contracts. Office culture - great deal of competition over who will get credit for contracts and profits. This discourages individuals from working together across lines of business within he company. Some dishonest tactics used as a result.

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!