ICF International Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014

ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • The company does let you have a work life balance, but only if you consistently defend it (in 27 reviews)

• Knowledgable and friendly co-workers; ability to work from home is a huge plus (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good work/life balance I found myself working 50-60 hr weeks while getting paid for 40 (in 26 reviews)

• Furthermore the entire company is geared towards benefiting upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

A great lesson in playing dirty

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, paycheck always came on time.

Cons

The mental stress of being dispenseable; lied to and lied on and insulted. I've never worked with such RUDE people ever in my life.

You never win playing dirty.

ICF helped me grow professionally!

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting work. Great people to work with and a good team atmosphere.

Cons

None that I can think of!

ICF Marbek International Review

Former Employee - Junior Industry Energy Consultant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Junior Industry Energy Consultant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at ICF International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent Environment, great place to work !

Cons

There are no cons for this company at all.

Profits over people, get used to being dispensable

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the paycheck comes on time, taxes are withheld correctly. i honestly can't say much in the positive. i love the project i work on but if it ended, i would be gone in a heartbeat. there is an attempt to drum up loyalty but with words only, when it comes to pay or benefits - look elsewhere

Cons

constantly changing HR policies which result in fewer benefits to employees - for instance our paid time off was slashed impacting the employees who had been with the company longest. clearly management is fine with 2-4 years of work from people straight out of school. no clear career development/promotion track - promotions are shrouded in secrecy as are pay levels. the company greedy at every turn since the main obligation is to shareholders and not employees - for instance contract will be held up until just after the quarterly earnings report so the books look good

look at the human line rather than the bottom line, treat employees with respect, don't layoff people while the CEO/CFO make millions of dollars

Deplorable

Current Employee - Research Technician in Martinsville, VA
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Martinsville, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No, I only gave it a rating of one as it will now allow you to rate at a zero.

Cons

At its inception, this business started out as a reputable facility in which although employees were TOTALLY mislead about pay and benefits, we came to enjoy our coworkers and immediate supervisors up to the former operations manager, as well as the idea of making a difference in the lives of others with the work that we do. A year and a half in... when employees began to insist on a handbook which was relative to regular employees (which wasn't inclusive to managers as they actually received the benefits workers were told to review on ICF's corporate website) so that we were knowledgeable of the rules and regulations of the organization as it was apparent rules were being made up as things went along and on a case by case basis. It took nearly 3 years before employees were provided a handbook which was totally contradictory of what employees had been previously told. One should expect to receive retaliation when you are unable or unable to work yourself as a slave or all of a sudden become an on all agent with on call pay or any other type of incentive. Rest assured that being an exemplary employee and producing the work equivalent to 3 agents goes down the drain the minute a project comes in at the last minute that upper level manage has no clue how to perform and they need someone to plant as the fall guy to those invisible managers in Fairfax. To those looking to work here, do not come here with any expectations other than to give far more than you shall ever receive.

This advice applies to the covert managers in Fairfax, VA main office, who remain invisible to employees at the Martinsville facility but whom we are often told are in attendance at meetings and are making the day to day decisions of the facility which always seems to negatively affect the lives of its employees. The projects in which this company receives does a great service to those in its perspective community. If you can pass just a minute amount of that respect and commitment to your employees you could truly say that your business is worth far more that the billion dollar contracts that you garner from government entities.

good work opportunities. Not paid relative to work opportunities.

Former Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively good work/life balance. Promotion raises low.

Cons

Small raises, lack of training opps.

Poor management and little incentive to work hard

Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good company reputation. Depending on your supervisor, you may be able to telecommute.

Cons

People with poor performance get the same 2% raise as those that get results, low pay for the size of contracts, management does not address problems after being brought to their attention many times

Reward more lower level Analysts and Associates with spot bonuses. It will keep the morale up and the turnover down.

Freaking Awesome Company!

I have been working at ICF International as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is one of the best companies I've had the pleasure of working for. I worked for them for 5 years. Management was great - no micro managing but was always available when you needed assistance. Weekly team conference calls since we were spread out across the country where knowledge sharing was key.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that the work is so specific, there isn't much room for growth.

Keep up the great work!

Enjoyed my time w/ ICF!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Upbeat culture, many capable colleagues and interesting projects. Well-structured performance review program that makes good on its promises. Lots of intelligent, energetic people (especially junior staff).

Cons

Culture among the corporate leadership could be a bit cutthroat and ego-heavy. Lots of churn w/r/t recent acquisitions and trying to assimilate new people and projects. Have found pay to be more competitiv

Keep the core business culture that enabled ICF's growth, however the corporate composition may change!

"No one is indispensable" - Periodic Team Pep talk quote from management

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many very talented people work here. Wonderful clients. Amazing projects. Some ability to grow your skill set if you're lucky enough to have good management. Ability to develop your own career path, only if you're lucky enough to get the right management. I hear other divisions of ICF are great to work for, but Energy Efficiency Division is a tyrant.

Cons

Arduous workload and time demands without adequate compensation. Little to no team support for less profitable projects. Promotion is not based on merit at all. You can work tireless hours and take on a multitude of projects (often pushed on you by management) to prove your worth but will be denied bonus or promotion if: 1) you're more profitable to the company in a lower level position, and 2) if you haven't served the required time allotment in your current position even if you already perform tasks associated with a higher position for a prolonged duration. Co-workers without adequate training, experience, or education can become your superior. Lots of favoritism.

You should know better