ICF International

Updated January 31, 2015
2.9

ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is great; I tend to be a bit of a workaholic but I'm glad it's not forced (in 28 reviews)

• Knowledgable and friendly co-workers; ability to work from home is a huge plus (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good work/life balance I found myself working 50-60 hr weeks while getting paid for 40 (in 26 reviews)

• Furthermore the entire company is geared towards benefiting upper management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

A great lesson in playing dirty

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, paycheck always came on time.

Cons

The mental stress of being dispenseable; lied to and lied on and insulted. I've never worked with such RUDE people ever in my life.

You never win playing dirty.

"No one is indispensable" - Periodic Team Pep talk quote from management

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many very talented people work here. Wonderful clients. Amazing projects. Some ability to grow your skill set if you're lucky enough to have good management. Ability to develop your own career path, only if you're lucky enough to get the right management. I hear other divisions of ICF are great to work for, but Energy Efficiency Division is a tyrant.

Cons

Arduous workload and time demands without adequate compensation. Little to no team support for less profitable projects. Promotion is not based on merit at all. You can work tireless hours and take on a multitude of projects (often pushed on you by management) to prove your worth but will be denied bonus or promotion if: 1) you're more profitable to the company in a lower level position, and 2) if you haven't served the required time allotment in your current position even if you already perform tasks associated with a higher position for a prolonged duration. Co-workers without adequate training, experience, or education can become your superior. Lots of favoritism.

You should know better

ICF is a great place to get started

I worked at ICF International

Pros

The environment is very friendly and people are very easy to get along with. The office space is very open and give you a lot of desk space. They also have great amenities with a coffee bar and monthly happy hour host by the company (free food and drinks!). Depending on your department they are fairly flexible with you schedule.

Cons

There wasn't really much room for growth. You can put forth great effort but if you are not on the good side of the management you will not get the promotion you desire. Lots of politics played in the office, if you like playing that game then this is the place for you. They tell you that they like to promote from within but when the time comes to have people move up and get promoted they hire someone else in the place.

Pay attention to quality employees and reward them for good work or you will continue to lose good people.

Profits over people, get used to being dispensable

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the paycheck comes on time, taxes are withheld correctly. i honestly can't say much in the positive. i love the project i work on but if it ended, i would be gone in a heartbeat. there is an attempt to drum up loyalty but with words only, when it comes to pay or benefits - look elsewhere

Cons

constantly changing HR policies which result in fewer benefits to employees - for instance our paid time off was slashed impacting the employees who had been with the company longest. clearly management is fine with 2-4 years of work from people straight out of school. no clear career development/promotion track - promotions are shrouded in secrecy as are pay levels. the company greedy at every turn since the main obligation is to shareholders and not employees - for instance contract will be held up until just after the quarterly earnings report so the books look good

look at the human line rather than the bottom line, treat employees with respect, don't layoff people while the CEO/CFO make millions of dollars

Decent place to work

I have been working at ICF International full-time

Pros

This varies from division to division, but my experience at ICF has been mostly a positive one. It is a big company and comes with both the benefits and disadvantages of a big company, but I have found that if you do a good job you're pretty well taken care of in terms of personal and professional growth.

Cons

Again, in such a big company this varies from division to division. I have found the overall benefits to be okay. Being ineligible for overtime or comp time can be a drag when you get busy, that sort of thing (but this is nothing new to the corporate or NGO world).

Executives don't understand how to motivate

Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most days I like what I do. Benefits are ok, not great. While there's no official/standard company policy on working from home, I usually work from home about one day a week without any issue and I have good flexibility. My boss isn't a micro manager, but he's not an advocate for me either. He's too busy trying to climb the ladder.

Cons

Exec's don't know how to relate to the worker bees - VP tryes to motivate our group to make goal so the "company can get it's bonus" - meaning he gets a bonus and none of us see a bonus. Health benefits aren't great and you pay more for less every year. Poor raises - about 2%. Pay isn't awful but isn't great. ICF has a reputation of paying a little lower than average and working folks a little more than average. They don't do a good job of promoting within - they actually give you a $2k bonus to refer someone from the outside. Hard to move around within the org.

Learn how to relate to the folks under you.

Deplorable

Current Employee - Research Technician in Martinsville, VA
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Martinsville, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No, I only gave it a rating of one as it will now allow you to rate at a zero.

Cons

At its inception, this business started out as a reputable facility in which although employees were TOTALLY mislead about pay and benefits, we came to enjoy our coworkers and immediate supervisors up to the former operations manager, as well as the idea of making a difference in the lives of others with the work that we do. A year and a half in... when employees began to insist on a handbook which was relative to regular employees (which wasn't inclusive to managers as they actually received the benefits workers were told to review on ICF's corporate website) so that we were knowledgeable of the rules and regulations of the organization as it was apparent rules were being made up as things went along and on a case by case basis. It took nearly 3 years before employees were provided a handbook which was totally contradictory of what employees had been previously told. One should expect to receive retaliation when you are unable or unable to work yourself as a slave or all of a sudden become an on all agent with on call pay or any other type of incentive. Rest assured that being an exemplary employee and producing the work equivalent to 3 agents goes down the drain the minute a project comes in at the last minute that upper level manage has no clue how to perform and they need someone to plant as the fall guy to those invisible managers in Fairfax. To those looking to work here, do not come here with any expectations other than to give far more than you shall ever receive.

This advice applies to the covert managers in Fairfax, VA main office, who remain invisible to employees at the Martinsville facility but whom we are often told are in attendance at meetings and are making the day to day decisions of the facility which always seems to negatively affect the lives of its employees. The projects in which this company receives does a great service to those in its perspective community. If you can pass just a minute amount of that respect and commitment to your employees you could truly say that your business is worth far more that the billion dollar contracts that you garner from government entities.

Hypocrites

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are a well-oiled machine and you will learn a great deal. Effective in winning contracts especially in the Energy sector. Most of my colleagues were very intelligent and care about the quality of their work.

Cons

poor work-life balance. Upper management does not like the military---although they covet DoD contracts. Office culture - great deal of competition over who will get credit for contracts and profits. This discourages individuals from working together across lines of business within he company. Some dishonest tactics used as a result.

Good place

Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People are nice. Time is flexiable

Cons

The commuter benefit could be improved

Supportive culture, but low compensation and growth opportunities

Former Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is supportive of work/life balance with flexible work hours and teleworking arrangements; opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects in both public and private sector

Cons

Compensation is lower than competition; bonus program only benefits senior leadership, not the rank and file; growth opportunities limited

Develop and share the strategic vision for the company, including how that vision will be achieved