ICF International

ICF International Reviews in San Francisco, CA

2.9

ICF International Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is great; I tend to be a bit of a workaholic but I'm glad it's not forced (in 28 reviews)

• Knowledgable and friendly co-workers; ability to work from home is a huge plus (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good work/life balance I found myself working 50-60 hr weeks while getting paid for 40 (in 26 reviews)

• Furthermore the entire company is geared towards benefiting upper management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work culture is amazing. Benefits are good. The most important thing is people are really amazing.

Cons

Sometimes the projects can get slow due to the number of people involved.

Keep up the good work and lets work towards making it a billion dollar company.

Company didn't match the culture they stated

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

valuable work that helps the environment

Cons

Its all about the dollar

be more transparent

4 stars

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ICF International full-time

Pros

time off, flexible schedule, happy hour, chill coworkers, great office location

Cons

there are not that many

Company that tries to be responsible, socially aware, employee focused....not that way at all

Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some interesting work, benefits are good.

Cons

Company doesn't practice what they preach. Despite their stated "organic growth" the company grows through acquisition which doesn't go so well. Regional leaders and office managers have no clue about their own employees and spend most of their time working on org charts to justify their existence. The corporate management seems to be on a different planet and don't communicate anything to the staff. This company is struggling to identify itself amongst many other companies.

Take a closer look at regional and office managers and make sure that you ask them why they are constantly shuffling the deck and making arbitrary decisions about staffing.

Great company if you want to work with a purpose.

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

The company is fully of extremely mission-oriented people who are working to make a positive social difference. There is a sense that everyone is coming to work to get down to business with their own part of savings the world. This sense of purpose engenders a strong team spirit and collegial atmosphere that focuses on cooperation over competition. Unlike some other firms in this industry there is not a sense of different offices as "dueling profit centers." Instead there is a general recognition that we all benefit from working together and that getting the job done is more important than whose budget something accrues to.

I also appreciate the deep technical expertise here in so many areas. At some firms in the consulting industry there is a poker-faced game of "we've never done that before and don't know much about it, but just tell the client that we'll do it, and we'll figure out 'how' later." At ICF I am consistently impressed by the expertise present at all levels in many practices - usually there is someone who *has* done it before and *does* know a lot about it. This earns my respect and makes me feel like there is leadership I can trust.

At the same time there is a trust in staff and a willingness to appreciate innovation wherever it arises. I think this allows junior staff to grow quickly, and motivates them to do their best work. This is not a formulaic place and there is a lot of room for younger employees to put their own mark on the work that comes out of ICF.

Cons

ICF is in a phase of rapid growth after its IPO as a public company in 2007. This has its upsides of course, but it is also engendering a shift to a more investor-profits-driven mentality at the top. While this may be appropriate business practice, it may put some strain on the organizational culture to meet these growth goals. The company's culture of excellence and expertise may be challenged by the requirement to rapidly expand successful groups beyond their current size.

Look for ways to guard the company's core values and the caliber of its technical expertise as it grows quickly.